Help me choose - Alaska Westerdam or Oosterdam

DaveOKC

I have a choice between going on the Oosterdam Sept 20 or Westerdam Sept 21.

The differences: Oosterdam visits Hubbard Glacier while Westerdam does Glacier Bay.

On either I will be in a Deluxe Veranda Suite, but on Westerdam only Starboard suites are still available.

Any thoughts on which to choose and why would be very helpful.

DaveOKC

Westerdam, as the majestic beauty of Glacier Bay cannot be surpassed.

That, and there is a very real chance Hubbard Glacier will be inacessible for a part, if not majority, of this cruising season. It's advancing at incredible rates and threatening to close off the sound.

How will the viewing of Glacier Bay be from a Starboard side balcony?

DaveOKC

I wasn't aware that it made any difference what side of the ship one was on? I've had cabins on the port side, and on the starboard stern. There are several glaciers, of various size, that can be observed from the ship on Glacier Bay day. The ships turn around to allow views from both sides. You will probably spend some time on deck as well, as HAL opens the front bow for viewing on Glacier Bay day. There are lots of excellent vantage spots throughout the HAL ships, from the Crow's Nest to the wraparound promenade, to the front observation decks.

The most spectacular glacier is Hubbard on a good day. It's larger, with a massive face, and much bluer than any of the others. Lots of great calving.

In rain and/or fog all bets are off. And of course, if Disenchantment Bay is closed, well....:(

One of the reasons I chose the Westerdam over the Oosterdam is the time in port in Juneau allows for a small boat excursion to Tracy Arm. Not many itineraries will accommodate it, but the Westerdam's does.

B

I like the Westerdam's itinerary best. It goes to Glacier Bay, Sitka, and as bellebaby said - has a long enough port time in Juneau for an independent excursion to Tracy Arm: http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/

If you are going to view Glacier Bay from your balcony, it's best on the port side. The narration from the park ranger is as the ship enters Glacier Bay, and it's the port side cabins that face the glaciers first. If you have a starboard cabin, I would move to a forward deck when the ship enters Glacier Bay, then move back to your cabin after the ship turns.

I had originally chosen the O'dam because from what I read I really thought I would prefer Hubbard. Then I read about ships not being able to get close in early season, if at all this year and decided to change.

As for Tracy Arm, I REALLY wanted to do that in Juneau - the O'dam doesn't allow time for it but the W-dam isn't conducive to it (to us) even though it allows for it time-wise. It is essentially and all-day tour and the W'dam spends the 2nd day (plus departure day) at sea, the 3rd day cruising Glacier Bay, and then finally makes a port stop day 4 in Juneau. My wife really didn't want to jump right onto another boat for 9+ hours as soon as we hit the dock.

I had originally chosen the O'dam because from what I read I really thought I would prefer Hubbard. Then I read about ships not being able to get close in early season, if at all this year and decided to change.

As for Tracy Arm, I REALLY wanted to do that in Juneau - the O'dam doesn't allow time for it but the W-dam isn't conducive to it (to us) even though it allows for it time-wise. It is essentially and all-day tour and the W'dam spends the 2nd day (plus departure day) at sea, the 3rd day cruising Glacier Bay, and then finally makes a port stop day 4 in Juneau. My wife really didn't want to jump right onto another boat for 9+ hours as soon as we hit the dock.

It depends on how much you want to go on the excursion. Very few ships will accommodate the excursion. I have heard it is amazing. We're willing to forgo other options and go for it! We have experienced Tracy Arm via a cruise ship and really look forward to the small boat experience. 9+ hours is a commitment and you have to be up for it.

Putting the time in port in Juneau aside, it appears access to Hubbard may be an issue this year. I would choose Glacier Bay.

Research, research, research and then make a decision based on what is important to you.

B

Archived