Are Pocket Knives Allowed?

You would think I would know the answer to this - I have cruised Carnival many times, but I am not sure if you can have a pocket knife/Swiss Army knife in your checked bag. The 'Welcome Aboard' booklet states that weapons, firearms, etc. are not permitted onboard. I have a small multi-tool knife that I bought that has a corkscrew, nail file, scissors, bottle opener, etc. on it that I would like to take. Is a pocket knife a "weapon"? Will I be called down to remove the knife from my checked bag or is it okay to have it? I don't want to be subjected to any public humiliation! I would contact my PVP directly, but I know my Cruise Critic friends will answer me faster. Thanks in advance!

I always pack a swiss army knife and a multitask tool in my checked luggage. I've never had a problem. Before 9/11 I used to keep them in my carry-on as they were permissible under the old rules but now they must be checked.

It's funny the things security has a problem with. On one cruise my husband and I were coming back from a scuba trip and they confiscated his dive knife. If you dive, you know how mostly useless those knives are, plus there are steak knives all through the ship. Go figure.

We were slightly annoyed but mostly got a laugh out of it because it was so ridiculous.

If you dive, you know how mostly useless those knives are, plus there are steak knives all through the ship. Go figure.

I was stabbed in the neck & upper leg with a dive knife by my ex-husband, to me they are dangerous, don't understand why you need them in the Caribbean.

Back on subject........i zip tie my luggage and put a small pocket knife in the side zipper compartment of my suitcase.

Geeze, what ship and dates are you sailing? I don't want to sail on a ship, knowing that people are bringing weapons on board. Oh sorry that from the thread where the guy wanted to bring Mace on board. Pocket knives are fine. As far as the airplanes go, put it in your checked bag.

Archived