Battle of the Fjords - Misty? Kenai? Both?

erhoffer

All:

Thanks to all of the great information from posters on this bb, I put together a very solid plan for our first-ever family trip to Alaska. I can't belive it- I am getting some pushback at home!

They are asking me - why would we want to see two Fjords - Misty F by floatplane and Kenai F by boat?? I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I could really use some help with evidence to back up a tough decision...

IF you have done both - did you feel the trips were redundant? Why or why not? And also, if you had to pick only ONE - which one would you do???

(Sorry - it sounds like a college admissions essay topic...)

much appreciation for your insights, as always

- Erin

My understanding is that these are totally different experiences...with vastly different scenery and wildlife observation possibilities. They just happen to both have the word "fjord" in their names...

Yup exactly. Misty Fjords are better done by plane (IMO), and they are almost all about scenery. Kenai Fjords is a great boat tour that provides a more close-up view of a glacier or 2 (hopefully calving) and good wildlife potential.

There's little redundancy in the two trips. We did Misty Fjords one way by float plane and th eother by boat. You get a different perspective seeing the granite cliffs from the air and water, although it certainly takes longer to do one way by boat, I thought it was worth it.

There's more wildlife on the Kenai Fjords tour, although no huge granite cliffs. And Misty Fjords does not have the calving glaciers which can be spectacular.

Having done both, it's difficult to say which one I'd choose, since they are so different, but I'd probably go for Kenai since I can never get enough of the wildlife and calving glaciers.

You'd want the long day cruise at Kenai - the half day cruise doesn't get you very far.

Longer is generally better in AK, but I think the half-day Kenai cruise is well worth it.

The two tours are completely different and totally unalike in any way!

If the day you fly to Misty Fjords on the Float Plane is a mostly sunny day, the flight is like flying through heaven. It's all about flying over incredible snowy mountain ranges in contrast with the incredible blue water of the Fjords. Our flight landed in the middle of nowhere and we spend about 30 minutes taking in a scene that is so peaceful and incredible is is surreal! See picture I took from the floatplane in Misty Fjords below and click it to enlarge.

The Kenai Fjords tour is a 6 hour cruise into a sealife wonderland! Whales, dolphins, sea otters. sea lions, kittywakes, puffins, massive Glaciers. It was an ugly cloudy rainy day when we took the tour and it was still magnificent! See picture I took from the Kenai Fjord Cruise tour of Holgate Glacier. See the tour boat at the base of the Glacier and you get a great scale of how large the glacier is.

The two tours are absolutely nothing like each other and each tour is a must if you can afford it!

You can read more about our experiences on these tours on the my journal below. You will find the Misty fjord tour under May 21 and the Kenai Fjords tour under May 27.

Larry

Thanks to all for the great info, pictures. I am forwarding the links to my DH so that we can make a decision soon. We are booking everything very late....(Or else things will just sell out, making the decisions for us, I guess.)

Larry - great music that goes with the slide show - what is it?

- Erin

Thanks to all for the great info, pictures. I am forwarding the links to my DH so that we can make a decision soon. We are booking everything very late....(Or else things will just sell out, making the decisions for us, I guess.)

Larry - great music that goes with the slide show - what is it?

- Erin

It's called L'Ultimo Re by Andrea Bocelli...It's on his album "Cieli Di Toscana".

Thanks,

Larry

To me, the big difference is geography. Kenai is close to open ocean, while Misty Fiords is much further inland and more protected. Kenai's wildlife viewing opportunities include puffins, which you would never see in Misty.

Misty's 3000 foot high granite cliffs are quite impressive, and depending on the time of year you may see some amazing waterfalls- wildlife is varied. However on my Misty trip (by boat) we saw a pod of Orcas, brown and black bears, sea lions, bald eagle nest, etc. I've also flown Misty several times and never tire of the views.

They are both breathtaking and I think offer enough variety of sights to see that you could do both and have no problem justifying your decision.

Thanks for that added insight, smoked salmon.... Good news to all - thanks to your feedback and great pics (thanks, Larry) - we decided to do BOTH trips... Hopefully I can still get tickets...

- Erin

I also highly recommend both and have been to both many times. For Kenai Fjords, you need at least 6 hours on the water, this tour is significant for a close up glacier look and varied wildlife, I always will pick the Northwestern Fjord trip, but do do the national park trips with coupon offers.

As for Misty Fjords, completely different. The scenery is the priority, don't expect wildlife. And by plane you get a fantastic look at the vastness of Alaska.

Archived