Official : Celebrity Revamps Smoking Policy Effective 10/1/08

Andy

We have always sailed on HAL.

Two weeks ago we decided to try Celebrity for a Feb/09 cruise on the Connie..

My wife is a non smoker and it bothers her, which I respect and that is why we have always booked a Verandah where she can close the door and I could enjoy having a smoke.

Its bad enough that Celebrity has their restrictive Wine policy (two bottles can be brought aboard per cabin)...now they are telling me that after spending thousands of dollars that I cannot enjoy the occassional smoke on my verandah!

There should have been a compromise - with allowing

specific verandah cabins as a smoking section rather than a complete ban. In most cases the smoke from a verandah is so disippated that only those with a severe reaction would be at risk and if a person in the next verandah requested that I not smoke - I would do so.

I agree that the smoker in today's society is frowned upon and considered a "black sheep" but I think that Celebrity has taken this one step too far.

That is a very interesting thought.. I had not thought of that! We were not cruisers then, but I bet someone here remembers the reactions then!

I was cruising then and in my opinion there were not a lot of people upset about it. I was also on these boards at the time and don't remember a lot of discussion about it. There were the smoking threads at the time but most people at that time I believe were not in favor of limiting smoking. It was not until a lot of the states starting passing laws that we saw the heated discussions on board. The cruise lines are just evolving with society.

Reformed smoker and glad to see this but can understand why smokers are so upset - why couldn't X do same as hotels and offer non-smoking rooms. If they kept those to one side of the ship there wouldn't be an issue would there?

I remember in the 80s trying to get my father to quit. He would ignore anything I said even in the most encouraging ways.

So I bought him one of the early Macintoshes and Quicken and let him have fun. He maerrily started entering in all his expenses from church donations to gas and yes tobacco.

It was funny he gave up smoking soon after that without a mention. Once he realized how much he was spending his own cheapness took over.

The average person today could go on a cruise for free every year for what they spend on smoking.

I used to go skiing and I truly loved it but I really felt it just go to expensive to be repay the pleasure factor. It's all tradeoffs.

I am at a loss to understand why people continue to smoke given the expense, limitations, humilations, and ofcourse the health risks.

Unless of course they are addicted and have no say in that matter.

BTW my dad died a few years of a number of health issues and one was bladder cancer which can come from smoking especially cigars.

Anyways - thanks to all of you leaving to another cruise line.

Personally I don't think they will be far behind especially if Celeberity shows any success.

So glad to hear this news. On our last sailing of Celebrity's Summit we had an adjoining room with a smoker. We could smell smoke coming through the adjoining door. :( Stateroom attendant put up duct tape on the outside of the smoker's door and inside of ours. They were also nice enough to bring one of those clean air machines into our room, which helped a little. I agree there is nothing better than plain old fresh sea air. :D

Hopefully other cruise lines will follow with the same policy.

I too, am a former smoker, and recognize how difficult it is to give up or even make changes to what you enjoy. When I first struggled to stop smoking, I especially missed the favorite habit locations or times, such as when I spoke on the phone, when I got in the car, as I relaxed in the tub with a book, and of course, after a meal. It was difficult, no doubt about it.

But smoking policies are changing all over, and while I can understand inital anger at having cabins and balconies designated as non smoking, it really shouldn't come as too much as a surprise. As with the current luggage charges, once one company decides to tackle a controversial issue, the others will soon follow. So, I do predict that we may see more cruise lines agreeing to impliment non smoking policies - although they may wait to see how Celebrity fares.

Of course cancellations are to be expected, but I doubt that this will significantly impact the passsenger numbers all that much. And because the suites and the Concierge Class and verandah cabins seem to book quickly, again, I doubt there will be that much of a revenue loss.

I can empathize with those that are disappointed, but I wish that this would be in effect for our Spetember TA! But I guess you can't have everything!

Mary

I am over the top happy with this news! It is a great day!!

People said Westin Hotels would lose business when they went 100% smoke free. Not only did they not lose business, Sheraton Hotels (another hotel in the Starwood brand) is now smoke free and the Marriott chain has gone smoke free. It is fantastic not having to worry about that stench in your room, or having to beg for a non-smoking room.

YAY, Celebrity! You have gone up significantly in my esteem.

I myself am very excited. Its a health and safety issue most of all. The lady on the next balcony feeding the seagull may be annoying, but she's not potentially giving me cancer and or setting fire to the ship.

by the way. The state of maine just passed a law that you can't smoke in a car with a minor.

. What's worse, is that Celebrity lied not more than two weeks ago when they said they had no plans to change their policy.

No they did not lie. As several people posted during the past months Celebirty stated they were conducting a survey and were looking into making changes to their smoking policy. They indicated there would be a press release once the decision was made. This is exactly what happened.

No they did not lie. As several people posted during the past months Celebirty stated they were conducting a survey and were looking into making changes to their smoking policy. They indicated there would be a press release once the decisionw as made. This is exactly what happened.

This was why she called them liars....

Quote:

Originally Posted by marle7

You should probably call your TA if you used one or call Celebrity rather than waiting. What's worse, is that Celebrity lied not more than two weeks ago when they said they had no plans to change their policy.

Exactly, This is the exact response I got from Celebrity on March 24th when I contacted them about cruise documents stating there was no smoking in the staterooms.

Thank you for your e-mail. We are happy to assist.

Celebrity Cruises has not changed the current smoking policy nor do we have

plans to do so in the future.

Unfortunately there was an error in the printing of the Guest Documents booklet

and we are working on getting that corrected.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Constance Wood

Customer Service Representative

Limiting smoking on balconies is just plain stupid. We'll sail in HAL or Princess. X's food and service has be declining recently and this is the final nail.

Please enjoy your cruises on HAL and Princess. I am taking cruises on both lines within the next year and anticpate a great cruise experience.

I am confident for every smoker who leaves Celebrity, there will be 3-4 non-smokers attracted to Celebrity.

The limited smoking policy adopted by Celebrity is not only good business, it also a good business ethics.

Even if you smoke, you surely must agree that the health issues associated with smoking and second hand smoke have been proven beyond a doubt to be serious. I applaud Celebrity for thinking about the health of all of their clientele. I know it wasn't an easy decision, but in my humble opinion a wise one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marle7

You should probably call your TA if you used one or call Celebrity rather than waiting. What's worse, is that Celebrity lied not more than two weeks ago when they said they had no plans to change their policy.

Exactly, This is the exact response I got from Celebrity on March 24th when I contacted them about cruise documents stating there was no smoking in the staterooms.

Thank you for your e-mail. We are happy to assist.

Celebrity Cruises has not changed the current smoking policy nor do we have

plans to do so in the future.

Unfortunately there was an error in the printing of the Guest Documents booklet

and we are working on getting that corrected.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Constance Wood

Customer Service Representative

Here is my take on this....Celebrity has made an official announcement to the world and knew it was going to take this step. They also knew that there were guests who had already booked and paid and would be caught in the gap.

Their 'pat' answer to the anticipated calls they knew they were going to receive as a result of the booklets was that it was an error, please disregard.

As far as them being liars, we know is that it's very difficult to get accurate information when questions are asked, and here again the employee who delivers this information ends up being the face of the whole company and is the one who takes the heat for being on the front line.

This whole topic is so alienating. :(

It seems like basic good business. The percentage of folks who smoke is decreasing steadily and very few who don't smoke like the smell of it. Add to that the reduced cleaning fees for fabrics and carpets and banning smoking seems very smart.

Saying that they should equally ban drinking is silly. Someone else can drink or even over-drink without affecting my health directly. The same cannot be said for smoking. When I think of all the places you used to be able to smoke (at work, on planes, hospitals), that you can't anymore, it is astounding. You would never think to smoke in those venues anymore. I think that the hospitality industry will continue to go that way. For every smoker that leaves, I'm guessing that several who previously did like the environment will replace them).

There are so many people saying they won't sail because of this policy. On the one hand, I find that astounding to think of how smoking could control one's life and determine your decisions for you. On the other, I admire you for not sneaking a smoke in your room and breaking the rules.

It is sad that it is alienating.

There are so many people saying they won't sail because of this policy. On the one hand, I find that astounding to think of how smoking could control one's life and determine your decisions for you. On the other, I admire you for not sneaking a smoke in your room and breaking the rules.

It is sad that it is alienating.

I am going to sail again, just not with Celebrity. If I am going to spend a lot of money on a vacation, I certainly do not want to be stopped from smoking in the confines of my own room where it isn't bothering anyone else...I will go with a line that allows me to do what I enjoy. Celebrity made their decision to alienate smokers, and we can make the decision to not sail with them any more. I don't think that is astounding at all. I am sure you sail with Celebrity because they offer what you like...Other lines offer what I like (smoking in my room in this case), so I will go with them.

There is a huge difference between Celebirty "lying" to her and her receiving erroneous information from a customer service rep. who was misinformed about the pending changes to the policy. Celebrity likely did not make most staff aware of the new policy until just before going public with the news for obvious reasons (leakage). The customer service rep. likely thought they were providing her with accurate information at the time. What evidence is there that she was "lied" to?

There is a huge difference between Celebirty "lying" to her and her receiving erroneous information from a customer service rep. who was misinformed about the pending changes to the policy. Celebrity likely did not make most staff aware of the new policy until just before going public with the news for obvious reasons (leakage). The customer service rep. likely thought they were providing her with accurate information at the time. What evidence is there that she was "lied" to?

Not disagreeing with you, just pointing out the post.

I am going to sail again, just not with Celebrity. If I am going to spend a lot of money on a vacation, I certainly do not want to be stopped from smoking in the confines of my own room where it isn't bothering anyone else...I will go with a line that allows me to do what I enjoy. Celebrity made their decision to alienate smokers, and we can make the decision to not sail with them any more. I don't think that is astounding at all. I am sure you sail with Celebrity because they offer what you like...Other lines offer what I like (smoking in my room in this case), so I will go with them.

I can assure you that you are bothering someone when you smoke in your room: the next guest who gets it. You would likely object to being assigned a smelly room if it were a smell other than smoke. It's the same principle.

If you do go (I think a lot of the people saying that here won't really leave), please go to HAL. We didn't love HAL anyway and so we wouldn't miss that option.

:)

I can assure you that you are bothering someone when you smoke in your room: the next guest who gets it. You would likely object to being assigned a smelly room if it were a smell other than smoke. It's the same principle.

If you do go (I think a lot of the people saying that here won't really leave), please go to HAL. We didn't love HAL anyway and so we wouldn't miss that option.

:)

HAL is the line we are looking at for our next cruise, thanks for the wonderful suggestion.

And how can you "assure" me the next person who gets it will smell anything at all? From what I understand the rooms are thouroughly cleaned after each guest leaves.

HAL is the line we are looking at for our next cruise, thanks for the wonderful suggestion.

And how can you "assure" me the next person who gets it will smell anything at all? From what I understand the rooms are thouroughly cleaned after each guest leaves.

Obviously I cannot assure you but I can tell you that is very obvious to us when the previous guest has been a smoker. The room either smells like an ashtray or it smells like the powerful solvents they use (and will not longer need to use) to cover up the smell. If there was a small fire in a room before you got it, you would not like that smell. I don't see why you think that the smell of hours of cigarette smoking is any less problematic to those who don't like that smell.

I don't envy someone who is addicted to smoking, I really don't. I think it's a very hard addiction to kick for those who want to. That said, the rest of us should not have our health compromised to suit smokers.

Archived