TAs: what's the fascination?

sej67

In 2008, in an age of the Internet with literally thousands of travel sites, not to mention travel magazines, books, etc., why do so many people still use travel agents? All you're doing is having a middle man getting a portion of the $$$ from each transaction. I've heard people say that TAs are now more for cruises than for airfare, hotels, etc., but I've been on both str8 and all-gay cruises and have never used a TA.

In 2008, in an age of the Internet with literally thousands of travel sites, not to mention travel magazines, books, etc., why do so many people still use travel agents? All you're doing is having a middle man getting a portion of the $$$ from each transaction. I've heard people say that TAs are now more for cruises than for airfare, hotels, etc., but I've been on both str8 and all-gay cruises and have never used a TA.

Why do you think it is a fascination?

I do all my own reservations for non-cruise vacations: book flights, cars and accomodation - mostly using the Internet.

Since I have only been on gay charters and the price is the same whether it is with the charter company directly or through a TA, I use a TA and they deal with all the hassles. Cruise vacations seem to have a lot more issues than other vacations, for some reason. :) And if I do go on a regular cruise, I will most likely use the same TA just becase they would already know what I like, and have all my info. That doesn't mean I won't look at the online discounters too. ;)

"and the price is the same whether it is with the charter company directly or through a TA"

Is that really true, though? If you go to a used car salesman, and he says "I'll pay you $800 for your trade in and offer you this '05 Ford for $3000," who's to say that either or both number should really be higher or lower? Our Republican friends constantly remind us that we can have tax cuts for the rich, wars in the Middle East, Social Security, Medicare, bailouts for Bear Stearns, etc., and we don't have to worry about paying for it. Does that mean we're not really paying for it? The more people there are with fingers in the pie, the less pie you get, even if you can't see all the fingers.

"and the price is the same whether it is with the charter company directly or through a TA"

Is that really true, though? If you go to a used car salesman, and he says "I'll pay you $800 for your trade in and offer you this '05 Ford for $3000," who's to say that either or both number should really be higher or lower? Our Republican friends constantly remind us that we can have tax cuts for the rich, wars in the Middle East, Social Security, Medicare, bailouts for Bear Stearns, etc., and we don't have to worry about paying for it. Does that mean we're not really paying for it? The more people there are with fingers in the pie, the less pie you get, even if you can't see all the fingers.

Well, I know what the RSVP rate is and I know what I pay the TA, and it is the same. The TAs get a comission, I believe. either way, I still get the same product for the same amount whether I book through the TA or RSVP. Actually, the TA may throw in a bottle of wine or have a cocktail party on board. Not much difference otherwise.

so can the TA essentially be considered an external salesperson for the cruise line? If so, then maybe the TA's commission roughly equates to the salary of the internal salesperson, and the cruiseline would come out about the same whether the transaction occurs with the internal sales force or the external sales force. If not, then I would have to wonder what kind of incentive the cruise line would have to paying a commission to a TA. Now, I realize there may be certain short-term, temporary situations where they may want to have an external sales force. Maybe their internal sales force is new and not up to speed yet. But over the long run I would think they'd either ditch the commissions or really make sure that the commissions are no more expensive than their internal marketing effort. This whole arrangement seems to require a lot of faith from all parties involved - the cruise line, the TA, and most of all the traveler.

I wondered about using a Travel Agent to book with a gay charter. I would just as soon give the business to my TA if its the same price (and it is), but would not want the charter company (Atlantis/RSVP) to have to share a commission with a TA if otherwise they are essentially acting as a TA themselves and doing all the work. Does anyone know how the payment arrangements are made in these situation?

You should qualify this question as being for gay charters, if that's what you mean. RSVP/Atlantis, etc...aren't TA's in the traditional since. They are companies that charter space at existing properties and charge clients over and beyond what they are chartering said properties for. So commissions aren't really the issue here unless you book it through a TA not involved with RSVP etc... I have not booked a RSVP etc cruise but I was a TA for 8 years in the 80s. I've been on non-gay cruises as well as using a gay tour TA (found online) for some group travels (China) and a gay cruise on Windjammer that was chartered.

When I book a "regular" non-chartered cruise I have a website I use that has TA's bid for my trip and I go with the best deal. When I book a charter I book with whatever agency is handling it directly. When I book non-cruise I do use the internet to book everything from air to car rentals and excursions.

I was a TA when it was a good thing to be. But now due to the internet mostly, airlines, hotels, car rentals and everyone else has taken most of the TA's commisions from them. It's no longer the glam biz it once was.

However if you have a TA you like it shouldn't cost you anymore to use them....however, if you check online and do some investigations yourself sometimes you can find better deals than any given TA can.:p

Using a TA depends on a few factors like the cruise itinerary or if air travel is involved or more importantly if various visas are required from exotic countries. I was one for well over 30 years but never took a cruise and last year booked an Atlantis Mexico cruise which is one of the easiest cruises to book. With the website and links, there really wasn't a reason to because the information was all right there, especially enhanced by this site! However I did but all I did was delay any mailings by two days, really added a third person! Never even got a bottle of wine. Exceptions are groups arranged by a TA on board a "straight" sailing but that's an inclusive trip and not open to the public at large and it's usually at special pricing.

We were using a TA, but she stopped contacting us. So now we deal directly w/ Princess & they don't have to pay a commission.

Moral of story...don't lose touch w/ your customers.

Steve & Pete

We have a good relationship with a TA. She is lovely and we just book our reservation, fuss with it all we like on our own and then just befre final payment, we transfer it to her. That way, we can control the reservation while we watch a room we might be stalking or for the various price drops that might happen. Transferring it to her gets our friend the TA a nice and easy commission and we get some free wine or OBC.

Folks who are control freaks [like us] should understand that once you trannsfer a reservation, you sort of lose the right to call the line in most cases. Your TA is the only one entitled to speak on your behalf.

Also, while some lines (RCL< X< Azamara) don't allow the agents to discount their cruises, thhey still allow them to give you a "gift" of onboard credit.

why do so many people still use travel agents? All you're doing is having a middle man getting a portion of the $$$ from each transaction.

Our next cruise was deeply discounted (at 50% off) on a t/a's website but not in others, Then I called the cruise line and was quoted a higher price (only 25% discount). So, I booked with the t/a's website, a couple of day later most sites reflected the lower prices. Go figure!!

I find that certain TA's always beat the prices that are offered by the cruise lines. Some book a lot of rooms in advance at discount prices and pass the discount on to their clients. I did that a few times and saved big bucks. :)

We were using a TA, but she stopped contacting us. So now we deal directly w/ Princess & they don't have to pay a commission.

Moral of story...don't lose touch w/ your customers.

Steve & Pete

Next April (09), I'm going on a Princess Southern Caribbean cruise; my first mainstream cruise, having always gone through Atlantis before.

I'm going through a TA for the first time as well. the price she gave me was no different than what I would have gotten by going through Princess itself. The only difference that I can see is I was told by my TA (whom I've known for years - she used to be my boss before she retired) Princess offered me a two category upgrade. Unfortunately they couldn't guarantee me an Accessible cabin so I turned it down.

Having been on 40 plus cruises, the use of a good TA is a no-brainer. You will NEVER NEVER NEVER get a "better" deal from a cruise line if you book directly with them. For so many reasons, but heres the most important.. The majority of Cruises are booked through TA's. Cruise lines would be out of their minds to alienate and undercut TA's. One cruise line comes to mind, Renaissance, and look what happened to them! Recently I looked at HAL website to book a suite on a 14 day sailing. The only available fare was $7999 per person. I called a good TA, and she was able to quote $5600 per person, and a $300 Ship Board Credit.

Don't fool yourself folks, book through a good TA. It costs absolutely nothing, and most likely, you can save hundreds, if not thousands, in the end.

Host Dan

PS I am not, nor am I affiliated with any Travel Agent or Agency

We've only been on a dozen cruises but our feelings are not as categorical.

While it's true that a good TA is a nice thing, a bad TA is disproportionately not good thing. You cannot talk to the line because the TA "owns" your reservation. If you cannot get the TA to agree you have an issue, it can be very difficult to resolve. Everyone who has a great Ta (and we are among them) loves their TA but you can kiss a lot of frogs along the way to finding your Prince or Princess. We have had TAs tell us we will like this line or that, based on very little information and no questions to us about what we actually look for in a vacation. There seems to be a "young people like Carnival, middle aged people like Celebrity and really old people like HAL" mentality at some agencies that is overly facile.

Folks like to say that a TA can resolve issues for you but that is true only if you can reach them on your embarkation day and again, only if they agree that what you perceive as a problem is actually a problem.

Before we met our current TA, we went to a number and asked them questions to which we already knew the answers. Think of it as an interview if you must but I presume if I'm gonig to allow someone to collect commissions on my business, they sould at least know as much as we do. We got disappointing and just patently incorrect answers from a number of TAs. For instance, friend who was a TA offered me his "friends and family" discount. The quote he gave me was actually more than the line and when I pointed that out, he just said "well, Lee, we have to make money" and then agreed to match the line's quote as a favor. We didn't take him up on his offer.

Before we met our current TA, we went to a number and asked them questions to which we already knew the answers. Think of it as an interview if you must but I presume if I'm gonig to allow someone to collect commissions on my business, they sould at least know as much as we do. We got disappointing and just patently incorrect answers from a number of TAs. For instance, friend who was a TA offered me his "friends and family" discount. The quote he gave me was actually more than the line and when I pointed that out, he just said "well, Lee, we have to make money" and then agreed to match the line's quote as a favor. We didn't take him up on his offer.

With "friends" like this who needs enemies!:eek:

Great point Schplinky,

This is the reason I made sure to respond with "Good TA" in my post. A "good" TA is invaluable. I made a mistake on a TA just once. I booked a cruise starting in the Far East, and this guy didn't know anything about the International Date Line. Thus we got in a day late. (this was OK, as we planned several days before the cruise) Hence, he was fired. Only used him because he "was" a friend!

Host Dan

My TA will freely ntell me if a price I found through the internet can be beat by her. Air travel domestically is usually better through the internet, but when it comes to international I always check with my TA. especially code sharing. I checked a price Philly to Nice with one airline...$1100, my TA found another airline was code sharing and the price for the same flight was $400 less. Nice savings.

With non gay charters...my TA can usually gets it cheaper because of the organization she is part of gets deals that are usually better than what I get quoted by the cruise line direct. She also askes for an upgrade right up front. She also has been successful in getting me a specific table size or dining room area at the time of booking...up to a year ahead of time. In addition, if she sees a drop in prices she makes sure it applies to my booking...something I would probably fail to do on my own.

If my travel booking is under $500 I do it on my own..over that price my TA gets to do the work.

But this comes from a long time relationship..where she knows the plane seat I want, seating time at dinner etc. She also calls me when she sees an offer I might be interested in.

Lastly, problems up to departure, during transit or after the trip are handled by her. This has been very successful in the past and I rely on her services for the future.

Buts its a relationship. I have found out how inportant this is by working through another agency * a gay one. I booked a gay charter through them having met them on a cruise. Although the booking was completed, I had to ask for confirmation, something I get in writing from my regular agent. The gay agency....help or suggestions for air to England...nothing. Any recommendations for ground transportation in England or a precruise hotel...nothing. Perhaps I am spoiled, but there seems to be a lack of follow up that I am use to. So to me...it comes down to a relationship...and Iwill continue to use my TA..... dependability.

But this comes from a long time relationship..where she knows the plane seat I want, seating time at dinner etc. She also calls me when she sees an offer I might be interested in.

Lastly, problems up to departure, during transit or after the trip are handled by her. This has been very successful in the past and I rely on her services for the future.

Buts its a relationship ..and Iwill continue to use my TA..... dependability.

This is why I have my TA handle everything - cruises, air flights and hotels. I have enjoyed an excellent working relationship with this TA over the past five years, and he understands exactly what I want or expect on my vacations. He has always notified me about upgrades or offers. On every cruise, he has thanked me for my business by gifts of bottles of wine or champagne, dinners in the specialty restaurants, or OBCs.

Once, Mercury was late returning to San Diego because of a medical evacuation near Cabo San Lucas, forcing me to miss my homeward flight. I notified my TA - and then relaxed for the rest of the cruise. He made arrangements for an overnight stay in a San Diego hotel and the next day's flight. That certainly saved me considerable time frantically making alternate arrangements on my own; after all, I had paid to enjoy a cruise.

Donald.

Before I became a TA, I always used a TA for my bookings, I learned from him on things what to do and what not to do. I have so many repeat clients it isn't funny, I have a list of bookings and twice a week I check them all for price reductions, The cruise lines dont call their customers and say, "Hey, your price just went down, We'll adjust your credit card now" Fat chance.

I have saved my clients so much money, I called a cruise line before and found that the price had dropped $2200. for a clients cabin, I said great, can you adjust the price, She told me, you understand your commission will also drop because of the price drop, I said ummmm yeah, I'd rather have a happy customer that'll keep coming back to me because I keep my eyes open for them. My clients are quite happy with what i do for them, I treat repeaters with many gifts and onboard credit.

Use a TA

These are all interesting comments, but none of them responds directly to what I asked earlier, which is: what incentive would the cruiseline have to pay commissions to a TA, especially with more and more travelers doing the work online? Not only can you book online through the cruiseline's site or 800 number, but you can research the best options on numerous websites.

These are all interesting comments, but none of them responds directly to what I asked earlier, which is: what incentive would the cruiseline have to pay commissions to a TA, especially with more and more travelers doing the work online? Not only can you book online through the cruiseline's site or 800 number, but you can research the best options on numerous websites.

The cruise line can employ less people if a lot of work is done by TAs or online.

The line also has incentive programs in order to get the TA to steer business in their direction. A TA might commit to selling a dozen or two rooms on a sailing and then the cruiseline wins by selling blocks of rooms instead of selling them one by one. The agent wins by getting a higher commision rate by selling a gorup of rooms.

Most of the numerous non-line web-sites are online agents so the line is still paying a commision there.

I think that a very high percentage of cruises is sold by TA's, although that number is dropping steadily. Folks seem to think a cruise is a complicated thing that needs a TA to help them book. That was not our experience but we love to pursue the details...

:) Your right....price t/a gives is only what cruise line says....paper work all comes from cruise line......then you have the t/a to help you,otherwise your on your own......the cruiseline pays the t/a.......if you find a deal call a t/a tell them the deal....they call the cruiseline and make them give them the deal.....then you have a helper!!! not a middle man!!! all for the same price.....and yes you could get someone who sends you an onboard credit or bottle of wine....depends on how much you spend.....the poor thing has to make something.....think of all the hours they spend babysitting you....they make about .10 cents an hour......the big question is why do they bother.............:eek:

Well, I know what the RSVP rate is and I know what I pay the TA, and it is the same. The TAs get a comission, I believe. either way, I still get the same product for the same amount whether I book through the TA or RSVP. Actually, the TA may throw in a bottle of wine or have a cocktail party on board. Not much difference otherwise.

Archived