Smuggling Booze

Will ask again, anyone know what is the best way to carry an empty metal flask? Or just not worth the trouble? Thanks!

There's no restriction on an empty flask. Carry it right on the ship with you if you want...as long as it's empty.

Speaking of being somewhat off topic...do they have malibu rum or any other flavored rums in the bar set up?

Unfortunately no Malibu Rum on the SUN! :(

I spoke to the group coordinator to order booze for the cabin and she said they get a lot of requests for it, but that their supplier does not carry it for the ships yet.

It's one of our favorites. We "settled" for the Bacardi Silver, which sounds funny, because it was very good too! Mixed with Pina Colada and Fruit Punch mixers we brought, the Malibu taste was not missed!

HAVE FUN!

:)

He probably stand a 50/50 chance of getting in through using his checked luggage. Just remeind him, if he gets called to the "naughty room" not to be surprised or gripe. He has been forwarned.

Nita

I've definitely done my duty warning him. We'll see what happens, i guess.

I just got back from the Jewel. Had a bottle of wine in my carry on, which is allowed, but you have to pay a $15 corkage fee. I assumed that the security people would say something about it and I'd hand over the money, but....nothing. I went right through. I guess it's just the luck of the draw....

Just got back from the Spirit. We used Rum Runners and they worked perfectly. We took several bottles on board with us, packed in our luggage, and at the various stops we purchased alcohol and instead of trying to get the bottles onto the ship we emptied the bottles into Rum Runners and put them in a backpack. They made it through security every time.

I'd also taken along 2 plastic water bottles and filled them with juice each morning from the machines in the buffet. The Spirit only has juice in the mornings and it was not offered in the room service menu. We kept the bottles in a folding ice chest in our room and each evening we'd make our own drinks of the day.

We are following the rules and have ordered a bar set-up. My question is if we pack an empty flask to use when onboard will they spot it and send us to the naughty room? Any suggestions to carry an empty flask?

I'd suggest just carrying this on with you. Since it's empty...if they ask to see it, then you can just show them it's empty. You have a bar set up, so let them know. I would imagine if you carry it on that they'll want to check your bag for it, but if it's empty...I'm sure they'd just let you through. That way you can avoid having to go to the naughty room all together!

Just returned from the Pearl. My DW's cousin had 4 bottles of Champagne in his hand luggage which was identified on the scan. He was sent to the liqour table to pay the corkage and after waiting for 5 minutes to be served he got fed up with waiting and proceeded onto the ship!!! No one stopped him and we enjoyed corkage free champagne on our balcony the next 4 nights - LOVELY :cool: . We don't feel to bad for NCL as he also purchased around $300 of Champagne legitimately whilst on the ship so that got their share of $'s out of him! :eek:

I just got back from the Jewel. Had a bottle of wine in my carry on, which is allowed, but you have to pay a $15 corkage fee. I assumed that the security people would say something about it and I'd hand over the money, but....nothing. I went right through. I guess it's just the luck of the draw....

Funny, the same happened to us once but other times we have paid the corkage. We actually had 2 bottles and one was Two buck Chuck, the security gal thought it was rather funny, we had such cheap wine and let us go. When my daughter and I did the 2 bottle thing the next cruise our Two buck Chuck became fifteen buck Chuck. it does seem to be the luck of the draw.

Nita

What do they do with the wine after you pay the corking fee? Can you send the wine to their storage area so your Wine Steward can bring it up during dinner? You don't have to keep it in your room do you? I couldn't imagine having to carry my bottle of wine to dinner.

I was on the Majesty a week ago and I had a plastic bottle of cranberry juice in my bag and I had to go to the naughty room. The line was quite long and a few older people behind me were upset because they did not have anything bad in their bags. I told the guy my juice was new and he could open it if he liked and he said that's ok. go ahead.

Hello,

I have been on 32 cruises over the last decade or so, and have always taken our own liquor on with me. It's sneaky, but I'll tell you how.

I have 2 large flasks, I fill them up and either ziplock them and roll clothes around them. Do not leave in original bottles, have to be plastic.

I even buy alcohol at the port, I don't tell them I'm on a ship and just take the alcohol with me. I buy a Sprite bottle dump it and refill. Sad, but true, but we are only 40 and like to drink a bit on vacation. I learned the hard way, with a 1400.00 bar tab once (2 week cruise).

They don't mind at all if you take soda on board so they never question the Sprite.

Hope this helps

Hello,

I have been on 32 cruises over the last decade or so, and have always taken our own liquor on with me. It's sneaky, but I'll tell you how.

I have 2 large flasks, I fill them up and either ziplock them and roll clothes around them. Do not leave in original bottles, have to be plastic.

I even buy alcohol at the port, I don't tell them I'm on a ship and just take the alcohol with me. I buy a Sprite bottle dump it and refill. Sad, but true, but we are only 40 and like to drink a bit on vacation. I learned the hard way, with a 1400.00 bar tab once (2 week cruise).

They don't mind at all if you take soda on board so they never question the Sprite.

Hope this helps

thought they were keen on this method already. right?

ROFL :D . MIL & FIL are back at home now, so I'm not sure if she's gotten back on CC to read these or not. She'll get a HOOT out of this one.

I hope they take it in the good humor which I intended (and that they had a great cruise)

-Monte

I hope they take it in the good humor which I intended (and that they had a great cruise)

-Monte

Oh, she absolutely will. He's having his 80th b-day party in a couple of weeks, & hubby is one of several "roasting" him. I read him your comment & he's trying to figure out how to get it into the roast. I hope your comments weren't copywrited! ;)

Debbie

we've had no luck with asking to have the fridge emptied, so we just take out the junk and set it on the top shelf push it way to the back! we put usually put it back the morning of the end of our cruise , bu this year the steward came and did it the night before and locked us out of our fridge, (not happy about that) I don't even want to know how many times the beers have been cooled and warmed this way!!!

We have room service deliver the days supply of mix juices, 1st day order a hot tea carafe of water, throw away the water keep the carafe to hold your OJ.

another bev tip! keep your bottle of water and refill at water station. also a good source for cold water is your melted ice! and we noticed the ice cubes on the pearl were the perfect size to fit in a water bottle! if you refilled the bottle with mostly ice when you took it ashore it stayed colder longer!

That's a good tip -squirrel away the juice in the morning. We have not done that in the past, either because the room did not have a fridge, or because the fridge was full of mini-bar baloney. Does anyone actually buy that stuff, anyway?

I was thinking about bringing some juice (the non-refrigerated kind) but I may actually try the breakfast juice run this time, if there is room in the fridge.

I know, you can request it to be emptied, but I do not like to do this as it makes the steward work extra hard, and heaven knows they have enough to do as it is.

we've had no luck with asking to have the fridge emptied, so we just take out the junk and set it on the top shelf push it way to the back! we put usually put it back the morning of the end of our cruise , bu this year the steward came and did it the night before and locked us out of our fridge, (not happy about that) I don't even want to know how many times the beers have been cooled and warmed this way!!!

We have room service deliver the days supply of mix juices, 1st day order a hot tea carafe of water, throw away the water keep the carafe to hold your OJ.

another bev tip! keep your bottle of water and refill at water station. also a good source for cold water is your melted ice! and we noticed the ice cubes on the pearl were the perfect size to fit in a water bottle! if you refilled the bottle with mostly ice when you took it ashore it stayed colder longer!

great idea about using the ice for water. We always keep our bottles rather than lug too many onto the ship, but I never thought about using the ice or melted ice. As for emptying the refridge, we just make room for our stuff or as you said take it out ourselves. We have never even asked to have it emptied.

NIta

"Does anyone actually buy that stuff, anyway?"

I think they depend on kids left in the cabin while their parents go out to play, to "use" the minibar stuff! Or ladies with PMS to eat the old stale chocolate in a desperate moment...(been there!) :D

Archived