Smuggling Booze

My in-laws are going on the Majesty in May & FIL wants to take his Old Crow, which he KNOWS they will NOT have in the bar. I've told him that NCL does not play with booze smuggling, but he wants to try carrying it in his checked luggage. Any thoughts as to the possibility of success?

I see the threads about smuggling booze but never read because we didn't plan on taking anything on except maybe some diet doctor pepper (which we ended up not doing). I thought they were really strict about it & was telling him not to chance it, but maybe I was wrong.

I have had success on Majesty with all-plastic containers. I am not familiar with Old Crow, but there are plenty of cheap liquors you can buy by the pint or 500 ml size that come in a plastic flask with plastic cap.

Just party on with the liquor and when it is empty, wash it out with hot water and refill with Old Crow. Then pack in the checked luggage.

I have put flasks inside a variety of places, usually inside something more dense. Once it was a board game, another time it was rolled inside some towels. Next cruise it will be inside our snorkel gear. NCL, if you are listening, I never said that!

We are following the rules and have ordered a bar set-up. My question is if we pack an empty flask to use when onboard will they spot it and send us to the naughty room? Any suggestions to carry an empty flask?

Be glad, be very very glad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not something most people would want to be familiar with, I don't think!!!!

My Dad likes the cheap stuff too. I appreciate a good mid-range brand but have not acquired the taste for Knob Hill or Grey Goose yet. Thankfully!

My in-laws are going on the Majesty in May & FIL wants to take his Old Crow, which he KNOWS they will NOT have in the bar. I've told him that NCL does not play with booze smuggling, but he wants to try carrying it in his checked luggage. Any thoughts as to the possibility of success?

He probably stand a 50/50 chance of getting in through using his checked luggage. Just remeind him, if he gets called to the "naughty room" not to be surprised or gripe. He has been forwarned.

Nita

My Dad likes the cheap stuff too. I appreciate a good mid-range brand but have not acquired the taste for Knob Hill or Grey Goose yet. Thankfully!

DH settles for JIm Beam, a good mid price burbon. When it comes to scotch well, here he likes the best stuff he can afford. Of course that isn't always what he gets. He is doing good if he can buy JW Black. That is about the top of what I will let him pay. Why should he get the good stuff, I drink cheap vodka or cheaper wine????

I just got off the Norwegian Sun today. I used the Rum Runners Flasks, packing coconut and pineapple rum in them. I had 4 flasks in 2 different checked bags and the bags came to my room without any problem. At breakfast I would usually bring back several glasses of orange and pineapple juice, which I kept in the room's refrigerator. That, combined with the rum, made a very nice tropical drink. I still bought a few drinks from Norwegian. They did not lose money, because if I had not packed my own I still would not have bought any more alcoholic drinks than I did anyway, due to their high prices. We enjoyed pre-dinner drinks, and even carried the drinks we mixed into the dining room at night, with no problem.

That's a good tip -squirrel away the juice in the morning. We have not done that in the past, either because the room did not have a fridge, or because the fridge was full of mini-bar baloney. Does anyone actually buy that stuff, anyway?

I was thinking about bringing some juice (the non-refrigerated kind) but I may actually try the breakfast juice run this time, if there is room in the fridge.

I know, you can request it to be emptied, but I do not like to do this as it makes the steward work extra hard, and heaven knows they have enough to do as it is.

I know, you can request it to be emptied, but I do not like to do this as it makes the steward work extra hard, and heaven knows they have enough to do as it is.

We usually empty it out ourselves onto the top of a cabinet, or in a bag under the bed. This gives us more room, and keeps our kids from getting into the sodas (or worse, the booze).

Just be sure to let the room stward know about it, and to put everything back your last night.

I always have the room steward empty the mini bar. In fact I think it saves them work. They don't have to take an inventory everyday and none of those troubling mystery mini bar charges on your account.

We usually empty it out ourselves onto the top of a cabinet, or in a bag under the bed. This gives us more room, and keeps our kids from getting into the sodas (or worse, the booze).

Just be sure to let the room stward know about it, and to put everything back your last night.

That is exactly what we do when we cruise...was gonna suggest it..you beat me to it! ;)

I don't smuggle liquor, but as I was reading this thread, I have a suggestion. Instead of bringing juice from the breakfast, you can pack the juice packs that kids use. At home I use Hawaiian Punch to make a rum punch. You can also mix lemonade with vodka. Also, don't forget the powdered mixes which you simply mix with water. . .

I always have the room steward empty the mini bar. In fact I think it saves them work. They don't have to take an inventory everyday and none of those troubling mystery mini bar charges on your account.

I don't know... I have read posts from people who did get mystery charges after emptying the fridge - I think most of those people emptied it themselves, though. If I were going to have it emptied, I would have the steward do it, but I don't bother. They are not very big nor do they cool very well. More trouble than it is worth!

There usually is a little room in there, even with it full of mini-bar stuff. Sometimes I stuff a diet coke or an extra beer in there, and by the next day it is cold-ish. DW likes to wake up to a soda like I need my coffee!

I. They are not very big nor do they cool very well.

But a perfect place to keep the smuggled booze and the juice all these posters haul back to their cabins. :eek: For juice it is much easier to pick up the phone and call room service 7X24. Just trying to keep the thread on topic. :D :D :D

Archived