Visas

margord

Sue,

That is the best idea yet. Since it only takes about 30 minutes, I think I will wait for my finaly docments from Princess and see if they took care of it. If not I will do it myself.

Here is one question. If Princess already did it will the web site let me do it again and charge me again or will it come back and say I already have my VISA? Is there somewhere I can check to see if I have it or not?

Marilee

If an ETA already exists for the PASSPORT number provided the website will tell you. As I travel to Australia regularly and can never remember the exact date I got it and I always check by trying to reapply. If it's still valid it tells me.

A couple of points for you to note. If you change your passport during the validity of the ETA you will need to apply for a fresh one as it is directly linked to the passport number and not transferrable. Also it only needs to be valid on the day you enter Australia. You get three months from date of entry and provided the ETA is valid when you enter it is valid for the entire stay in Australia. I know this for a fact (before someone tries to tell you otherwise) as I entered 1 day prior to the expiration of one of my many ETA's and checked with the immigration officials that this was the case prior to travelling. Didn't want to get turned away.... It's a long walk back to England.....Remember though if you leave Aus at that point to apply for a fresh one whilst outside of Aus or they won't let you back in!!!

Hope this helps

If an ETA already exists for the PASSPORT number provided the website will tell you. As I travel to Australia regularly and can never remember the exact date I got it and I always check by trying to reapply. If it's still valid it tells me.

A couple of points for you to note. If you change your passport during the validity of the ETA you will need to apply for a fresh one as it is directly linked to the passport number and not transferrable. Also it only needs to be valid on the day you enter Australia. You get three months from date of entry and provided the ETA is valid when you enter it is valid for the entire stay in Australia. I know this for a fact (before someone tries to tell you otherwise) as I entered 1 day prior to the expiration of one of my many ETA's and checked with the immigration officials that this was the case prior to travelling. Didn't want to get turned away.... It's a long walk back to England.....Remember though if you leave Aus at that point to apply for a fresh one whilst outside of Aus or they won't let you back in!!!

Hope this helps

Yes, this is very helpful. Thank you so much.

Marilee

This is very useful information, thank you! I will remember this, now that I have been forced to use ETAs.

How far along the process do you have to go before the website tells you that you already have one? I have got beyond entering all my information, to the screen where all the information is presented for you to confirm it - but not yet a squeak about there already being one. Do I have to go further than that? (I know that I have a valid ETA now.)

This is very useful information, thank you! I will remember this, now that I have been forced to use ETAs.

How far along the process do you have to go before the website tells you that you already have one? I have got beyond entering all my information, to the screen where all the information is presented for you to confirm it - but not yet a squeak about there already being one. Do I have to go further than that? (I know that I have a valid ETA now.)

I'd like to know this also.

Marilee

I have read not long ago reading these Boards, a Visa along with a Passport is needed to travel to Australia. If one is a US Citizen, and departs from Sydney on a Cruise, and travels Australia and New Zealand we should have this Visa, how long does it take to receive it and approximate cost. thank You.

I have read not long ago reading these Boards, a Visa along with a Passport is needed to travel to Australia. If one is a US Citizen, and departs from Sydney on a Cruise, and travels Australia and New Zealand we should have this Visa, how long does it take to receive it and approximate cost. thank You.

Hi,

If you go back to post #4 of this thread you will find most of the information you need.

The ETA (not exactly a visa, but a necessary travel permit) can be issued online. It is electronic information that is entered to coincide with your passport number and is apparent to the immigration officials when they "swipe" your passport. It cost $20 last year (and is probably about the same now) and you can get the necessary info at http://www.eta.immi.gov/au

Hi,

If you go back to post #4 of this thread you will find most of the information you need.

The ETA (not exactly a visa, but a necessary travel permit) can be issued online. It is electronic information that is entered to coincide with your passport number and is apparent to the immigration officials when they "swipe" your passport. It cost $20 last year (and is probably about the same now) and you can get the necessary info at http://www.eta.immi.gov/au

Thank you, we would love to do an Australia Cruise and since I am on the boards, I had picked up on the Visa information not long ago. I do like to be prepared for our travels, my DH just asks that I let him know when to pack. :D

Thank you, we would love to do an Australia Cruise and since I am on the boards, I had picked up on the Visa information not long ago. I do like to be prepared for our travels, my DH just asks that I let him know when to pack. :D

And, sorry I forgot to mention, the issuance and confirmation is done almost instantaneously.:), and it's valid for one year.

Hi,

The ETA (not exactly a visa, but a necessary travel permit) can be issued online. It is electronic information that is entered to coincide with your passport number and is apparent to the immigration officials when they "swipe" your passport.

Just to clarify, this ETA (which is not exactly a visa) is used in it's place or is as good as. I don't need an ETA and a VISA, right?

Just to clarify, this ETA (which is not exactly a visa) is used in it's place or is as good as. I don't need an ETA and a VISA, right?
Correct. *** ******** *******
To be pedantic, the ETA is an alternative to a visa - you must have one or the other.

So the ETA was introduced as a relatively fast, cheap and painless alternative method of pre-clearance. It also has benefits for Australia, in reducing pre-clearance costs in relation to travellers from these "safe" countries. And the ETA has got better as personal/domestic Internet use has spread, now allowing most people to do it themselves, at home.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on a b2b next year that also includes French Polynesia and New Guinea. So we need additional visas for them, also? Does the cruise line also include these?

Many thanks for any info!

I called RCCL and talked to them. There is a "blanket visa" provided by the ship, but it's intended for passengers who leave the ship and take a ship's sponsored shore excursion. If you want to go onshore on your own, then you need whatever visa is requred by the government for travelers in that country.

Have you been flying business or first class? Because I've been told that it is only in those classes that the airline will obtain it for you for free. If it has to be paid for anyway, I'd rather do it myself and know that it is done.

We've been on coach mileage award tickets on UA and Air NZ. I used to get the 4 year visitor visas but didn't have to pay for them or go through the visa application paperwork once the ETA program started. We've never paid for them. I assume its in the cost of the tickets/taxes/fees that the airline charges. Based on some of the info in this thread, I'll go online to see if I currently have a valid ETA as I was ticketed about two months ago.

Archived