QM2 & QV - Questions Re: Cabins

kevankiki

Firstly, why is the QM2 more expensive generally than the QV? I would have expected it to be the other way round, seeing as the QV is all new :confused:

Is anyone able to answer the following questions, regarding QM2 and QV:

Do any of the lower inside grades have bunks?

I saw reference to 'double or twin beds', does this mean you get either/or, or is it simply a case of them pushing two single beds together to make a double? i.e. You could request that they were separated if you wished? Perhaps this also relates to the grade?

What is the difference between the inside grades, is it purely related to the size and location of the cabins? Would a D2 basically be the same as a D8, except that the D2 would be larger, and in a more favoured location? There do not seem to be any interconnecting cabins on QV, is this correct?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to decide between QM2 and QV and only have experience of QE2, hoping someone on here can help.

Firstly, why is the QM2 more expensive generally than the QV? I would have expected it to be the other way round, seeing as the QV is all new :confused:

Is anyone able to answer the following questions, regarding QM2 and QV:

Do any of the lower inside grades have bunks?

I saw reference to 'double or twin beds', does this mean you get either/or, or is it simply a case of them pushing two single beds together to make a double? i.e. You could request that they were separated if you wished? Perhaps this also relates to the grade?

What is the difference between the inside grades, is it purely related to the size and location of the cabins? Would a D2 basically be the same as a D8, except that the D2 would be larger, and in a more favoured location? There do not seem to be any interconnecting cabins on QV, is this correct?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to decide between QM2 and QV and only have experience of QE2, hoping someone on here can help.

As I understand it, the only difference between a D8 and D1 is size and location. As for beds I think its two singles put together to make a double. Gives them more flexibility, I will be travelling with a friend in 2009, since there are no single cabins. I don't mind sharing a cabin, but don't want to share a bed. :D

We are planning on booking a D1 on QV in 2009, which should be 200 sq ft, rather than a D8 at about 150 sq ft.

Well, QM2 continues to be the flagship of the line, one of the largest passenger ships in the world, the largest ocean liner ever built, and, when she was introduced at least, she was far more discussed in mass media throughout the world than dear Vicky. When she was used as a hotel for the Athens 2004 Olympic Games, VIPs like President George Bush Snr, UK Prime Minister Blair, French President Chirac and the American basketball Dream Team were said to be among her guests. To this day she is one of the best known cruise ships worldwide, and when QE2 departs this fall she will be the best known one (forgive the exaggeration, perhaps:)).

Add to it that she is constructed with 40% more steel in her hull to face the North Atlantic whims and she accordingly consumes more fuel than a normal cruise ship; also that her construction cost much more than that of a common cruise ship of that size, due to special demands as a transatlantic liner; and you have some of the reasons why QM2 is perhaps more expensive than dear Vicky.

As to bunks in lower category inside cabins, you will not find here cabins with upper/lower berth, like the M5-7 of QE2. All cabins, even the humblest ones, have two single (lower) beds, which can be used to convert to one double if you wish. You just have to ask it from your cabin steward, when onboard. My experience (although not from inside cabins) is that you will find the beds already converted to a double bed when you first enter your cabin, and you will have to ask from you cabin steward to separate them if you wish so.

All inside cabins on QM2 are of the same size and configuration, if I am correct. The only think they differ is their location on the ship, on a higher or lower deck, or in the aft, middle or front part of the ship.

As to the Queen Victoria, not all inside cabins are of the same size or configuration, as one can easily see on deck plans. But, as I have not tested her yet, someone else has to ask this part of your question in detail.

Of course I do not know your personal preferences, but I would like to advise you not to miss a cruise on board the Queen Mary 2. After all, she is one of her kind...

Hi Annette - I was thinking the complete opposite. The main reason I always felt it would be a while before I try out the Vickie was not because of the perception of it being a poorer cousin but rather I thought the fares were pretty high. I find it ironic that you found it the opposite way. Although I must admit I never sat down and compared the pricing on either side of the pond. Generally, it appears to me that the North American side of the pond tends to see bigger deals being offered and the QM2 does tend to spend more time over here too. Maybe that's the angle I am seeing it from.

I think everyone is right in that I don't believe there are bunk beds on the QM2. The ship is a product of the more modern tastes of travellers and thus bunk beds are becoming harder and harder to find. Another sign of the QE2 being the last of an era.

I have to also agree that, unlike the QE2, the differences in prices in the grades of similar categories is strictly location on the ship. Generally the more towards the centre and the higher up one goes the price increases. All cabins within the same grade are exactly alike. On one hand, it makes planning easier but it loses the eccentric charm of never knowing what you might end up with as the QE2 certainly had one-of-a-kind cabins. The QM2 is more like booking a room at a hotel.

Finally, do the QM2! Okay, she's a product of the modern cruise ship era BUT she's still an ocean liner and definitely one-of-a-kind. She's mighty big but you will never feel crowded on her. I know you like your wrap-around promenade deck and she has one up on the 7th deck. Spent plenty of time there myself. I think you'll also be impressed with the massive Brittania Restaurant - its as if you walked onto a large movie set.

While I'm saddened to see the QE2 go I think the QM2 will be a worthy successor into the 21st Century. As for the Vickie.....someday I will try her and will probably enjoy the trip. But she's a Holland America Line Vista-class ship with Cunard's name on it. Plenty of those all over the world. There's only one QM2.

David

Hey, Annette!! Glad to see you are beginning to plan your next cruise. What fun!

As others have stated, all the inside cabins on the QM2 are the same size. They all have two lower beds which can be set up as twins or a queen. Many of these boards have recommended inside cabins on Deck 5 as they are above and below other cabins and not as likely to have lots of noise above or below. If you are one of those people who doesn't really care where your cabin is located, you might try an inside guarantee.

I have not sailed on the QV, so cannot offer advice on her.

Good luck and let us know which ship and which cabin you choose.

Beth

Thanks everyone for your help. For the time being I have registered an interest in one of the 4 night cruises on the QV, simply because this fits in with our plans to cruise as a family, DS felt he could not commit to anything longer at this stage (and I really would prefer to do something as a family while they are still keen!).

I would love to try the QM2, but sadly there are no short cruises in 2009, she seems to be concentrating on TAs (and longer cruises). I know I said I was considering such a voyage, but I am nervous of opting for something at such a huge cost, that may turn out not to be to my liking, yet I really don't want to fly.

I think you could be right that prices may seem lower for the QM2 on the other side of the pond, could this be due to having to factor in flight costs maybe? The kind of comparison I was making was that I can do a 12 night Med cruise on QV for £1,099, compared to an almost identical itinerary on QM2 for £1,499.

I've figured that I'll settle for trying the QV next year, then reconsider our options in 2010, unless who knows... Maybe a bargain may come my way? Or I'll win the lottery... Premium Bonds... whatever. For the present it's more important that we secure neighbouring D8/D7 cabins on the chosen cruise :D

Annette, I am sure you'll love the QV just as much. Its still Cunard. Also, despite the frame being that of a cruise ship, I must admit I was impressed with the pictures of the public rooms that we've been eyeing on the internet. I think they did an excellent job with the decor of the Victoria. :) I have also been on the Oosterdam with Holland America Line and the Vista class cruise ship still is a fine way to travel.

I think my point in reference in terms of pricing is that Mary does a few of the 4 to 7 day cruises here on this side of the pond as opposed to over there and thus the QM2 makes for an economically viable getaway for North Americans. Also, the ship is still made for the Transatlantics which I see are not unreasonably priced. I would suspect that the longer European voyages on her (say the Med) would be more expensive. At least you have the Vickie as she has only one visit coming up and that isn't until the fall of 2009 and you can't even board her here. :(

Every year I keep saying I really shouldn't be sailing the next year and yet........why have I not stopped looking at 2009 iteniaries? What's worse is you see a trip just pop out and you say "OOOOH! I want to go!" when you know you shouldn't! 2009 will be our 20th anniversary and so there's an added reason to just go and book! Tell the other half how much you are thinking of them!:D

David

Oh, and Annette........the new QE arrives in 2010! You'll have another choice!

There is nothing for us Brits on QM2 in 2009 less than 7 days, and the 7 day one is to Norway, BTDTGTTS :rolleyes:

There is a QM2 short cruise in August this year I think, but I can't justify taking two cruises, with the current QE2 one coming up, plus an additional 2 trips to Disneyland Paris :eek:

Let's hope that in 2010 they reverse the situation, enabling us to try QM2, and you guys to try QV

I haven't even considered the QE yet!

It's hard not to keep considering all these voyages, especially when they are constantly under our noses, but for me I still feel I want to include the children(?) in my plans - I am sure there will be further opportunities for us to do things as a couple in years to follow! It's only a matter of time before they will prefer to go off and do their own thing :(

Archived