Does it annoy you

misty57

to find a thread ( esp the roll calls) deteriorating into a private chat session totally off topic? When I check the roll call thread for my upcoming cruise, it seems that only 2 people are posting and are discussing their personal lives and their children's activities which have nothing to do with the cruise in question. This may sound very negative, and I know that I also have digressed when posting from time to time, but I wish the moderators would keep tabs on some of these threads and delete the posts that continue on for days with unrelated chatting. If you want to talk to an individual about other things, why not exchange email addresses? JMHO:p

As a matter of fact this is exactly the reason I stopped posting or reading our July Mariner roll call thread. Seems like the same few posters taking over and over with lots of posts regarding children, children's activities, how their children will like each other, how great their children are....get my drift?? The thought of their Meet and Mingle gives me the heebie jeebies........and please don't think badly of me 'cos I'm not a kid basher (don't get between me and my grandson, nephews!!!) but this group is way over the top with kid related posts.

I just look at it and compare it to real life - some people are more out-going than others. Some aren't. I fall into the first category, my DH falls into the last. Same thing on a roll call. I tend to start them because we plan so far out. I'm one that thinks the more the merrier. DH would be happy left alone in a corner with a book. He still goes to the M&M parties. I like to see if they come across in person like they did on the roll call. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Either way, I don't have to hang out with them if I don't want to.

That's what roll call threads are for....to meet and get to know other passengers before you travel. If you don't like what you see, then just learn to use your browser's back button, and get out of there.

Yes, those that go overboard become annoying. I'm involved in three roll calls at the moment. The one where many of us feel we've become well acquainted is the one with the least "back & forth" between just a few folks trying to undo each other in the "I'm just too funny" department. In one roll call in particular, I'd love to post asking two or three of them to exchange email addresses and chatter between themselves. They talk about their pets that died, their extended family that is sick, post one cartoon after another, etc., etc., etc. There are roll call hogs as well as chair hogs. I do like to hear where people are from, how many kids they have, if they are employed or retired, what the weather is like in their part of the country, how many times they've cruised, what excursions they are booking, where they are staying precruise, what airline, and I also get really tickled at the humorous comments. The poster who said some of these roll calls are simply "a personal blog" hit the nail on the head.

I agree, some are nothing but "personal blogs".

Some of them go overboard and can be very annoying. It more or less chases others away. A lot of the conversation belongs in emails not on the roll call boards.

I also object to the roll call posts that bash people that post on the cruise line boards. I have seen rolls call posts that were snarky, catty and out right nasty that discussed posters on other boards. I don't think the roll call boards are monitored like the others.

LOL I love your name "Roll Call Hogs" !!

If the moderators allow it (and clearly they do, or you wouldn't be reading it) then it's legit.

So, who is it that has the problem?

And, more importantly, what are you going to do about it?

Hmmm... just a personal opinion that it excludes other people from posting even to get aquainted with others when 2 or 3 people keep the thread tied up with chatting about unrelated personal things. It would be like picking up a telephone on a party line ( do these even exist anymore?) and overhearing a conversation between two people. There is no way to join in. I don't think anyone has a problem, but it would be nice if these exchanges were kept to a minimum. What am I going to do about it? Gee. Thats the point... I think the moderators should do something about it:rolleyes:

Hmmm... just a personal opinion that it excludes other people from posting even to get aquainted with others when 2 or 3 people keep the thread tied up with chatting about unrelated personal things. It would be like picking up a telephone on a party line ( do these even exist anymore?) and overhearing a conversation between two people. There is no way to join in. I don't think anyone has a problem, but it would be nice if these exchanges were kept to a minimum. What am I going to do about it? Gee. Thats the point... I think the moderators should do something about it:rolleyes:

I hear ya'.;)

Gave up on a Roll Call and didn't bother with the M&M.

I've found on most Roll Calls that the chit-chat goes away as the cruise gets closer. I like learning something about the cruisers, their families, and where they live. If someone new comes to a Roll Call I'm on I always welcome them. It's really up to them to jump in with things they're interested in (shore excursions, cabins, food, etc.).

Also, as someone else posted, sometimes we just don't fit in with the Roll Call group. On our last cruise the people were very nice, but they were mostly into the "adventurous" type of excursions (zip-lining, parasailing, etc.) where we're a couple of old f*rts who wouldn't think of doing these excursions :D !

(FYI, posts made to the Roll Call threads are NOT counted in your total post count.)

Right now I'd settle for the chit chat !! I started a roll call earlier this month (Solstice 05/15/2009 Eastern Mediterranean), and so far no one has joined !! Hopefully more action in the upcoming months...

That is more than a year away. The Roll Calls I was referring to take place in the next couple of months. A Roll Call more than a year away I would expect 'chit chat'. Eastern Med, that sounds like a great trip!

That is more than a year away. The Roll Calls I was referring to take place in the next couple of months. A Roll Call more than a year away I would expect 'chit chat'. Eastern Med, that sounds like a great trip!

Just a note, if you start the chit-chat a year or so in advance, why would people expect it to stop?

Some of the Roll Calls are totally out of control. I have seen some with over 11,000 posts and most of it was all garbage!! "Good Morning Mary" "Good morning Mike", etc. And each of them was a a new post.

Some people are doing it just to raise their post count.

I have given up making any sense on one of our up-coming Roll Calls. I answered it 2 times, went away on a cruise, came back and decided that I wasn't going to wade through pages and pages of nonsense.

I have to agree with you that many people just post to raise their count. I see on one roll call I was on that several people posted several times each week with "Happy Friday" and "Gosh the weather is great here." or "My azaleas are in bloom.".

I also get tired of the me too posters. I have a total of just over 3000 posts in five years (my count was reset to zero in the big 2004 upgrade) and I think I spend too much time here. There are some that must live on these boards. LOL

It doesn't annoy me when people get into private conversations either on a Roll Call or any other Board.

After you go to a certain Board for a long time, you get to know people. You make friends. Those chatty friendships keep those Boards humming along during the quiet times when there are few others coming and posting. Without folks who 'keep chatting' , the Boards would have some extremely quiet times and when someone new 'came visiting' they would not find anything. Between the chit chat, there is always a lot of information on the individual cruise line Boards. I think a certain latitude needs to be permitted (within some boundaries) for personalities to interact.

Anyone who doesn't want to read it can 'sail on by'.

As to private conversation between two people on a Roll Call, if they are the only two there, what's the difference. No one else is participating. If you want some info about the cruise/ports etc. Ask. Start the conversation to the direction you want it to go.

i agree

Archived