Celebrity Rip Off

motovate

But the cruise lines do off a full refund within a specified time after purchase--often months after purchase. When you make a deposit, you are purchasing the cruise, and you have until 90 days before the cruise to change your mind and get a full refund.

As others have stated, if you weren't happy with the price when you made the original commitment, you shouldn't have made the commitment. There are web sites which only list last minute cruises. Sometimes their rates are relatively low, sometimes higher than if you had booked earlier. It's a crap shoot.

You also have to gauge the effect of waiting on air costs. Sometimes you can get a really good air fare early on, but if you have to change it you get hit with substantial fees, in addition to the increased price.

Be aware the full refund if you cancel before final payment only applies if you book in the US /Canada...the rest of us have no refund if you cancel the day after you booked ....unless you can supply X with a doctor's certificate saying you will be unable to travel and even then you might not get a total refund!!

So think yourselves lucky you can hold onto cabins you might never use on maybe more than one ship, one sail date.... and cancel all of them with a complete refund......but in the meantime others who might want to travel can't get the cabin(S) you might be holding until a few weeks before sail date...and you get all your money back for wasting everyone's time!

I'm a disgruntled Brit cruiser who has to book under very different booking conditions from the ones that you guys enjoy and grumble about! Try booking over here if you want to feel second rate!

Flame away!

i booked for august and several days later ours dropped 500 per person and celebrity happily removed it from my account. i dont understand why they are doing this to you guys.

wade

I think you are dealing with a completely different circumstance. The OP is complaining because there was a price drop not after he booked, but after final payment was due. Huge difference.

You've got to realize, the day the balance is due is also the day you can cancel with no penalty. A lot of people book cruises (and other refundable-deposit trips) tentatively and then cancel before having to pay a penalty.

The reason they have that deadline is to try and fill the ship. Once it passes, they adjust the price of what's left in order to minimize any losses. A cabin sold at a lower price is better for them than letting it go empty.

I understand your frustration, but I think you are looking at it from the wrong point of view. Sure, you could have canceled and then rebooked. But there is no guarantee the rates were going to drop. I have seen the opposite happen on a cruise with little availability left.

Be thankful that the cruise industry is one of the few that still let's you have a no penalty deposit-holds-your-reservation period at all.

Does that make more sense?

Sorry to say but this is SOP within the cruise line industry, they have to fill the unsold cabins and in most cases the closer you get to departure the lower the price can get especially in the higher volume destinations such as the Caribbean and departure ports in Florida. There are several travel agencies that specialize in last minute cruises and many people take advantage of these deals if they have the flexibility of going on a few days notice. This is one of the benefits of being retired and living close to a major cruise port. On a lot of cruises in Europe and Alaska there are not too many unsold cabins by the time the paid in full deadline hits and prices often go up dramatically as does the corresponding airfares to the departure ports. Our Century cruise this September was booked last November and today the same 2A cabin is $220PP more than when we booked and our airfare to Barcelona is $300PP more as well. The balcony cabins on this cruise are almost sold out and I do no think there will be any price dropping after we pay in full in July. Our Delta flight to Barcelona is also getting full so you know it will get higher and higher. Last year we watched the flights to Barcelona get close $2000 per person just 45 days out from the dates the Century sailed last September. We paid less than $900PP when we bought our tickets in November.

Remember when cruise lines guaranteed that booking early guaranteed you the lowest rates...and travel agents were permitted to compete with each other for your cruise booking by rebating a portion of their commission to give you the best possible rates? Ah, the good old days!

Well, booking early still is the way to get the lowest rate as long as RCI/CEL is willing to lower the price paid except for new booking only specials. It is also the way to lock in a cabin choice and a dining

preference.

And I can't believe with all the threads about "bargaining" one's self-made booking for the best OBC that anyone thinks travel agents don't still "discount" cruises - just a different way of doing it (and they do compete).

Why do you think that the Sky Suites attached to the Penthouse

Suites on the Millenium are not premium rooms? Is it only because there is no cover over the decks? The rooms themselves are just the same as on the other M Class ships, aren't they?

The two SS that attach to the PH's are not the same as any other SS. The bathrooms are huge, the wood in the cabin matches the PH wood and is of a much better quality. Those two SS are just a better quality than the average SS.

The two SS that attach to the PH's are not the same as any other SS. The bathrooms are huge, the wood in the cabin matches the PH wood and is of a much better quality. Those two SS are just a better quality than the average SS.

I will state it ONE LAST TIME. On the Millenium, these rooms DO NOT have a covering on the balcony, leaving the balcony exposed to anything coming from above. There is not only no shade, but anybody on the port side will be flicking ciggarette butts and whatever off and can land on your balcony.

If you don't mind it, go for it. I would rather not. The rooms are made of nice wood and big bathrooms, sure. But the no covering on the balcony bothers me. OK with you?

There are other SS's that are different as well. 6131/6132 have giant balconies. I would never take one of those again either. Too much exposure.

I'm a disgruntled Brit cruiser who has to book under very different booking conditions from the ones that you guys enjoy and grumble about! Try booking over here if you want to feel second rate!

Flame away!

There have been multiple posts from those in Europe who have booked with a US TA and are under the same cancelation rules. Apparently what you can't do is book your air through the cruiselines as that is attached to your location. I know this is done for HAL cruises. I don't know if the rules are diff for Celebrity. But I don't think there is anything preventing you from booking with an online TA who based in the US.

I wish the OP would give their cruise date and cabin category so we can look to see the issue. They can find the current prices right on-line. Because if it was for "New Bookings Only" last Tuesday doesn't mean there isn't another price drop Celebrity will honor today.

There have been multiple posts from those in Europe who have booked with a US TA and are under the same cancelation rules. Apparently what you can't do is book your air through the cruiselines as that is attached to your location. I know this is done for HAL cruises. I don't know if the rules are diff for Celebrity. But I don't think there is anything preventing you from booking with an online TA who based in the US.

We book locally because if a problem ensues we hopefully can fix it easier then trying to reach someone thousands of miles away, opening during different time zones from the UK and dependant on email Q &A 's etc ... and if you want to do your own flights organise around that as another hazard ...we live so far away it is very risky.

It can all be done.... sure...but is it ideal ???... too fraught with difficulties for such a big monetary investment.

WE NEVER have Tuesday sales to get cheap last minute new booking sales in the UK.

We NEVER hold/ book unless we actually are going to go... unless you have second sight , and know you are going to be ill in the future and will get a doc's certificate to support your cancellation so your deposit will not be forfeit.

We NEVER get any residence/ state cheap deals.

After 25 plus cruises we have NEVER..had any OBC despite booking with known agencies.... it is not something UK guest seem to expect to have so it is not common for it to be given...we only found out about price drops (if eligible) through Cruise Critic and had to go to the horse's mouth to have the $80 "fee" we were charged by X to have one applied....refunded.

So if you think you are all hard done by...try it over here...we are not getting cruises cheap..we pay just as much for a cruise..maybe more ... as all of you over there and don't get any of the "perks" you enjoy.

If we want to fly in to MIA/ FLL for example earlier than the obligatory X organised one night to make sure you are there for the cruise.....you lose your X organised " free" ???? first night and X makes you pay through the nose ....an inflated p.p. charge instead of a room charge .....for that first night again plus the extra nights you want to do.You also lose your transfers

Maybe you can fly in on the day of your cruise but that is not possible with the distance and time differences involved for us.

This is why I get so disgruntled !!!

We cannot book ahead on the ship and get a measly OBC unless you know you WILL BE ABLE TO GO...or just accept and absorb the loss of your deposit.

I spoke recently with the X booking person I was dealing with trying to book another cruise with X .....they want to sell you a cruise and cannot because some cruises can be sold out but are really only on HOLD by US/ Canadian cruisers who MAY go...they have their returned deposit to look forward to if they decide not to go in the end ..... whereas the cruisers here knowing their deposit is forfeit if they cancel, would like to book , the agent cannot sell them a cabin until nearer final payment day when many probably become available again .... the interested cruiser has of course now already booked elsewhere.

What a system!! we are totally discriminated against.... why is it not the same rule for everyone???

I maintain if US/ Canadian cruisers got no deposit refunds except in acceptable circumstances as we might.....you would not be HOLDING / booking cabins you have no real intention of using..which would be one thing that is fairer at least.

We book locally because if a problem ensues we hopefully can fix it easier then trying to reach someone thousands of miles away, opening during different time zones from the UK and dependant on email Q &A 's etc ... and if you want to do your own flights organise around that as another hazard ...we live so far away it is very risky.

It can all be done.... sure...but is it ideal ???... too fraught with difficulties for such a big monetary investment.

WE NEVER have Tuesday sales to get cheap last minute new booking sales in the UK.

We NEVER hold/ book unless we actually are going to go... unless you have second sight , and know you are going to be ill in the future and will get a doc's certificate to support your cancellation so your deposit will not be forfeit.

After 25 plus cruises we have NEVER..had any OBC despite booking with known agencies.... it is not something UK guest seem to expect to have so it is not common for it to be given...we only found out about price drops (if eligible) through Cruise Critic and had to go to the horse's mouth to have the $80 "fee" we were charged by X to have one applied....refunded.

So if you think you are all hard done by...try it over here...we are not getting cruises cheap..we pay just as much for a cruise..maybe more ... as all of you over there and don't get any of the "perks" you enjoy.

If we want to fly in to MIA/ FLL for example earlier than the obligatory X organised one night to make sure you are there for the cruise.....you lose your X organised " free" ???? first night and X makes you pay through the nose ....an inflated p.p. charge instead of a room charge .....for that first night again plus the extra nights you want to do.You also lose your transfers

Maybe you can fly in on the day of your cruise but that is not possible with the distance and time differences involved for us.

This is why I get so disgruntled !!!

We cannot book ahead on the ship and get a measly OBC unless you know you WILL BE ABLE TO GO...or just accept and absorb the loss of your deposit.

I spoke recently with the X booking person I was dealing with trying to book another cruise with X .....they want to sell you a cruise and cannot because some cruises can be sold out but are really only on HOLD by US/ Canadian cruisers who MAY go...they have their returned deposit to look forward to if they decide not to go in the end ..... whereas the cruisers here knowing their deposit is forfeit if they cancel, would like to book , the agent cannot sell them a cabin until nearer final payment day when many probably become available again .... the interested cruiser has of course now already booked elsewhere.

What a system!! we are totally discriminated against.... why is it not the same rule for everyone???

I maintain if US/ Canadian cruisers got no deposit refunds except in acceptable circumstances as we might.....you would not be HOLDING / booking cabins you have no real intention of using..which would be one thing that is fairer at least.

We have never canceled a cruise either (I had a teenage stepdaughter cancel at 31 days last year and we received 95% back in cash on HAL. She was a 3rd person in the cabin) For HAL cruises we normally purchase HAL's cancel for any reason insurance (90% back at 24 hours prior to departure including air fare if bought through them) but it has to be paid in full at deposit and is non-refundable (althought it can be transfered to another cruise prior to final payment). Holding a cabin does give us time to find and confirm flights.

Resident rates (I think) are more likely for those who live in Florida and can travel last minute on a Carribean cruise.

As far as Celebrity, we would have to pay for hotel nights if booked through them. We always fly in a day early.

Do you get last minute deals on European cruises?

We have never canceled a cruise either (I had a teenage stepdaughter cancel at 31 days last year and we received 95% back in cash on HAL. She was a 3rd person in the cabin) For HAL cruises we normally purchase HAL's cancel for any reason insurance (90% back at 24 hours prior to departure including air fare if bought through them) but it has to be paid in full at deposit and is non-refundable (althought it can be transfered to another cruise prior to final payment). Holding a cabin does give us time to find and confirm flights.

Resident rates (I think) are more likely for those who live in Florida and can travel last minute on a Carribean cruise.

As far as Celebrity, we would have to pay for hotel nights if booked through them. We always fly in a day early.

Do you get last minute deals on European cruises?

Not really...we never get cheap prices for a last minute cruise ..it always involves air ( in our case to another airport / another flight before arriving the ship which bumps up the price considerably )... consequently they are searching to even get you seats somehow...and mostly they have already sold the seats they had on hold at their consolidated air price...they cannot get any more at the Con/ air price so they charge you the going rate on A.N. Other airline which is not cheap .....although recently they have also had to resort to putting you on budget airlines or on frankly ridiculous routings via TIMBUCTOO sort of thing!

If you fly out of London..you might well get a deal but we don't live there!

European cruises are just as expensive for us as Caribbean cruises even although we do not have the flying distance to do to get to the ship.

Cruising has suddenly become very popular here...so they are milking that all the way...it is an expensive vacation and they keep their ships here much longer than they used at the end of the season and are even starting to leave them here over the winter next year to see how that goes...there is a market for cruising and Europeans are just coming into it in a big way now. Celebrity in common with other lines are starting to see how much more beneficial it is for them monetarily to have more ships over here rather than struggle to fill them over there.

NO NO NO!!!!

As a customer, we don't have to be concerned with the income of Celebrity cruises. If they sell a product and then lower the price for others on the same product - they owe refunds. $700.00 is a considerable drop in price. Please don't suggest that you would be ok if your favortie store or shop sold a product several days after you bought it to someone else for less money.

However - if the price goes up - it doesn't work the same way - the increase applies only from the point the increase was announced.

It's like the fuel surcharge added after people had booked and paid for their cruises and now the cruise lines are having to refund a great deal of money.

There are arguements for and against waiting until the last minute to book a cruise. You have hit upon the number one reason to wait, lower prices close to sail date. On the other hand cabin choice is limited or nil depending on the cruise. Book early for a good cabin and hope regular price fall (not the new booking specials) is the other arguement. No cruise line is obligated to tell booked passengers that is about to have a special sale, or even that prices have dropped. But is you monitor web sites, you often can find reduced fares or that prices have gone up. I have 2 cruises booked. One the price has gone up, the other has dropped and now Celebrity has an air special to go with it. And the cruise is still 10 months out. I'll bet on more price drops if they can't fill enough cabins in then next two month. And maybe a happy hour sale price in January.

"rip off"? I WORK RETAIL AND WHEN AN ITEM IS NOT SELLING AND IT'S NEAR THE END OF THE SEASON, OR HOLIDAY WE LOWER THE PRICE. SHOULD YOU GET THE DIFFERENCE ON THE ITEM YOU BOUGHT WEEKS AGO? NO.

we booked our up coming cruise a good 9 months in advance, the price went down once , and then the cruise line offered a "resident specail" for CA. both times my TA was able to get the current price. we ended up in a CC aft balcony for $1288 PP. but i did my home work. 3 or 4 times a week i checked different online travel sites myself to find what was being offered. two weeks after our last discount the price skyrocketed. before the cruise sold out our cabin category was up to $1999. PP. .....

so last minute does not always pan out either. you have to remember it is a business for profit they are trying to run. do you think you are the only one that feels the same as you? you were happy when you booked the cruise !! yes?

NO NO NO!!!!

As a customer, we don't have to be concerned with the income of Celebrity cruises. If they sell a product and then lower the price for others on the same product - they owe refunds. $700.00 is a considerable drop in price. Please don't suggest that you would be ok if your favortie store or shop sold a product several days after you bought it to someone else for less money.

However - if the price goes up - it doesn't work the same way - the increase applies only from the point the increase was announced.

It's like the fuel surcharge added after people had booked and paid for their cruises and now the cruise lines are having to refund a great deal of money.

fuel surcharge.. the cruise lines are not "refunding a great deal of money" they are giving OBC's. big differebce. $70.00 in cash is $70.00. $70.00 in OBC is worth about $30/$35 dollars in cost.

OK, here is a valid comparison, since a lot of people seem to be having trouble understand why it is OK for Celebrity to do this.

Let's say I go out on December 24th to buy Christmas decorations. I buy them and don't take them out of the box or anything. The next day, the decorations are 50% off. I take my receipt back to the store but am unable to secure a refund for anything but the current sale price of the decorations.

Have I been wronged? Absolutely not. The shelf life of those decorations has ended.

Final payment date is the same idea for cruises. You can wait till the last minute and take what's left from the picked over cabins, or you can shop early and buy what you want, but if there's a special post final payment sale, don't expect to be able to take advantage of it. If you get lucky and get a price drop post final payment, be happy, but don't count on it.

...Let's say I go out on December 24th to buy Christmas decorations. I buy them and don't take them out of the box or anything. The next day, the decorations are 50% off. I take my receipt back to the store but am unable to secure a refund for anything but the current sale price of the decorations...

Every major store in my area will refund you the full price you paid if you have a receipt. Without a receipt, you get the lowest sales price. The idea the product has no value afer Christmas is not the customer's fault. It is the store's problem. Obsolescence like many other things is reflected in the price structure of the store.

.....and thinking like this is why the country is in the shi*er! so go to home depot, buy a plant let it sit on the deck for a week don't water it, let it die, and then bring it back for a refund? right? it's home depots fault for having a plant exchange program.

...and stealing is in the "price structure" too, but if it stopped the store could lower its prices. lets buy a mobile A/C unit for the summer, and when it cools down return it to costco. they take back anything. you must live a good life buying things and then returning them when you are done.

to the "simpsons" please stay in PA !!

You might want to address your concerns to Macys, Sears, Pennys and similar retailers. It is their return policies I was mentioning. I didn't invent the policies; I merely abide by them.

You must be mistaking me for one of your other "friends'" about buying plants from Home Depot. Since the minimum wage employees at Home Depot don't water plants before they leave the store, I certainly would not dream of bringing one of their plants into my home for critical care.

As for the rest of your post, you must have ingested some 'tainted' mushrooms at dinner. ;)

we booked our up coming cruise a good 9 months in advance, the price went down once , and then the cruise line offered a "resident specail" for CA. both times my TA was able to get the current price. we ended up in a CC aft balcony for $1288 PP. but i did my home work. 3 or 4 times a week i checked different online travel sites myself to find what was being offered. two weeks after our last discount the price skyrocketed. before the cruise sold out our cabin category was up to $1999. PP.

This is the reason why I use a TA to book all my cruises and have used the same one for the last 5 years. Last October when we decided to take the Century cruise in September I talked to my TA about when to book and she told me to wait until after Thanksgiving as this is usually the time Celebrity runs a sale. Sure enought she called me and we got a better price than in Ocotober and a $200 OBC for the cabin for new bookings. :D :D The price has continued to go up for this cruise and the information as to when to book was not something I could have gotten from any of the so called discounted online cruise booking sites. BTW we also will have a bottle of Champagne in our cabin and a free specialty restaurant dinner compliments of our TA. :p

N. Please don't suggest that you would be ok if your favortie store or shop sold a product several days after you bought it to someone else for less money.

Most large retailers in the US honor price drops for 2 weeks....

fuel surcharge.. the cruise lines are not "refunding a great deal of money" they are giving OBC's. big differebce. $70.00 in cash is $70.00. $70.00 in OBC is worth about $30/$35 dollars in cost.

That is not true if it is used for your pre-paid tips. It has the same value as cash.

We book locally because if a problem ensues we hopefully can fix it easier then trying to reach someone thousands of miles away, opening during different time zones from the UK and dependant on email Q &A 's etc

I have found every experience with US travel agency far superior to the less than " cruise clued up" so called TA's in the UK who seem to try and push P&O,Ocean Village, Island Cruises and Thomson at extremely inflated prices.

US TA's are "open" 7 days a week and at more convenient times for someone who works in the UK

... and if you want to do your own flights organise around that as another hazard ...we live so far away it is very risky.It can all be done.... sure...but is it ideal ???... too fraught with difficulties for such a big monetary investment.

Strange, I have never had problems with organising my own flights to any cruise,no matter where.

I don't let a cruise line organise flights, they organise cruises!

I plan my flights to suit me and with Celebrity I get them to adopt my flights under their custom-air arrangement or make my own arrangements.

I don't live anywhere near London or any major hubs....I use airport about 45mins drive form me called Edinburgh.

Actually RCCL /Celebrity have "HOT DEALS" regularly and exclusively on their UK website

I agree booking in the UK is far more expensive, and since when would a UK TA phone you up to tell you that price has gone down and that they have rebooked you at the lower price saving $1200 and are applying a $150 OBC...which happened to me a few weeks ago. I really don't see the sense in persisting with booking in the UK.?

The custom-air deals with this.

Some lines allow UK passengers to benefit either with OBC or low deposit fees which are transferable...maybe you should try HAL

Well if can't beat them? ...that's why I book in the USA with no problems and I no longer get annoyed with the system in UK, perhaps you should be lobbying for the same treatment as US/Canada not the other way round.?

:)

Alan - I have to agree with you - I too now book cruises with a US TA. I have always booked my own flights and got great deals and use Priceline to book a great hotel at a good price too.

A lot of this I have learnt from this CC site including getting a refund when the price dropped (I then upgraded!), my fuel surcharge was paid back to my credit card and I have got an OBC when I booked my next Celebrity cruise on my last RCI cruise, and the booking can be transferred to your TA.

Be interested to know who you use if you're happy to be contacted?

Thanks

Pat

Archived