Avoiding Corkage Fee

ktmac

Not to sound snooty or crass here, but it always amazes me that people can pay to go on the sailings, but then they try and try to avoid paying for the incidentals. I'm all about being budgeted out and all of that (lord knows I'm the first to complain about being "nickeled and dimed" for things), but if you can afford to sail, then step up and just pay for the incidentals. Don't keep trying to figure out ways to buck the system and avoid it.

That said...enjoy your sailing and your wine. :)

Not to sound snooty or crass here, but it always amazes me that people can pay to go on the sailings, but then they try and try to avoid paying for the incidentals. I'm all about being budgeted out and all of that (lord knows I'm the first to complain about being "nickeled and dimed" for things), but if you can afford to sail, then step up and just pay for the incidentals. Don't keep trying to figure out ways to buck the system and avoid it.

Well said !

To always avoid the corkage fee on a Princess cruise, simply order a bottle from the excellent wine list, that is priced very reasonably. If you can not find a wine you like on the regular list, just ask for the maître d’hôtel’ wine list, and enjoy some more expensive wines.

If some people insist on trying to pull these "scams" to avoid the corkage fee, Princess will go the way of most other lines and prohibit bringing any wine on board.

My experience has been that when we bring some of our favorite wines from home that are not on the wine list, we are charged about half the time. We always buy some bottles from the menu, and I think that helps. When a fee is not collected, I slip our waiter a "fiver" in appreciation.

Please folks, let us not turn Princess into an Easy Cruise!

Fair winds

Dave

Check out a thread called "Worst case scenario for sneaking alcohol on board" in the Ask a Cruise Question section. I just had to put my 2cents in on that one.

I just don't get it. :confused: My comments were somewhat similar to yours...people can spend $$$ booking a cruise, spend $$$ to book the cabin they want, spend $$$ for a plane ticket to get them to the cruise port, but yet they don't want to spend the money on such things ie. alcohol onboard.....just my opinion.

We could always bring along a wagon if it was too heavy to carry, just roll the box into the diningroom and fill 'er up as we need it. ;)

:D :D You know it has been a while since we have had one of those threads about bringing onboard one of those rolling coolers.:eek:

Mike:)

Very well stated! ;)

Like many folks, we bring wine aboard to toast sail away on our balcony and we order wine from the wine list with dinner.

Princess wine prices generally are the same or less than at most moderately priced restaurants.

It makes one wonder of these folks scheme to find a way to bring their own wine to resaurants ashore and then stiff the establishment on corkage.

It is the same old adage...you can't get something for nothing. It is happenings like this that end up ruining it for all of us.

I know that on our first HAL sailing they had the unlimited soda card but then last year it was a punch card. We were told that it was changed to this because so many people tried to buck the system and have several people use the same card...so to get away from the abuse they took away the unlimited privilege and turned it into a punch card.

Like someone said above, if people try to buck the system on this issue then eventually it will no longer be an option. As is the way of life, the masses must pay for the wrongdoings of the few.

Buying wine at a liquor store does not compare in any way to buying wine in a restaurant. Of coarse the prices will be considerably different. I have never purchased wine in a restaurant that sells it for the same price they purchased it for. :rolleyes:

I read a while ago that if you bring wine on board with you that Princess has on their wine list, they don't charge a corkage fee because you might have ordered it or received it as a gift.

Can anyone confirm/deny that claim?

Thanks!

Just off the Dawn. My TA gave me a gift of wine however, it came in the form of a card that I could "redeem" by taking it to the dining room or calling room service. This may be Princess' way of eliminating any question as to whether the wine was "purchased" on board and it also helps them determine if the corkage fee is applicable, not to mention not having to deliver the wine to your room, just for you to carry it to the dining room.

Tacky don't you think :rolleyes:

Um, no. Not at all. Haven't you ever been to a restaurant and had to wait for a table, so you go into the lounge and buy a drink, and before you're finished with your drink, your table is ready so you carry your drinks to your table with you? Happens all the time. What's the problem? :rolleyes:

Well to heck with the wine glass, let's just bring on one of those big insulated mugs and fill it with wine and carry it into the diningroom. Need to make sure we have enough to last so we don't need to make a trip back to the cabin, right? Largin, Yes, I agree, a bit tacky!

Well I was trying to help. Like I said in my post above, it happens ALL the time in restaurants where you carry your cocktail to your table with you. But whatever...

And as I read on I see that a few of you don't agree with my suggestion. To each their own. Whatever floats your boat. (Pun intended)

A 750 ml bottle of Beringer that sells for $5 at my local liquor store goes for $20 a bottle on Princess. Of course my local liquor store is not a "moderately priced restaurant."

Are you sure that it was the same Beringer wine? I have found Princess wine prices to be reasonable. But we did take 8 bottles of wines you would find on any restaurant list and galddly paid the $15 corkage fee.

Can't possibly imagine sneaking wine aboard in a suitcase with clothing--even with bubble wrap and a towel--I'd rather have more room for clothes--I buy wine at dinner EVERY night--if there is per chance any left I get that the next night--actually the wine I choose #61 is less expensive than any I've had in another restaurant--I've been buying the same one, most of the time the past couple of years--funny, room service doesn't have it to deliver to the room--bit---there is a lot out there--probably won't run out.

Nancy

Um, no. Not at all. Haven't you ever been to a restaurant and had to wait for a table, so you go into the lounge and buy a drink, and before you're finished with your drink, your table is ready so you carry your drinks to your table with you? Happens all the time. What's the problem? :rolleyes:

There is a difference in buying a glass of wine in the lounge and bringing it to the dinner table. Bringing your own wine on board, pouring your own glass and bringing it into the dining room to avoid the corkage is what I meant by being tacky. :rolleyes:

There is a difference in buying a glass of wine in the lounge and bringing it to the dinner table. Bringing your own wine on board, pouring your own glass and bringing it into the dining room to avoid the corkage is what I meant by being tacky. :rolleyes:

Well, then I agree to disagree. How would anyone know WHERE the wine came from that you are carrying to your dining table? As I said, to each their own. :rolleyes:

I don't think there is anything wrong with opening a bottle of champagne or wine in the stateroom while getting ready for the evening, enjoying a glass, and wandering around with a second glass. If there is still champagne in the glass by the time dinner comes, I will bring the glass into the dining room and continue to drink it. I don't feel "tacky" at all, and feel that it is a shame that you find it neccessary to direct such judgemental language against a fellow CC member.

I don't think there is anything wrong with opening a bottle of champagne or wine in the stateroom while getting ready for the evening, enjoying a glass, and wandering around with a second glass. If there is still champagne in the glass by the time dinner comes, I will bring the glass into the dining room and continue to drink it. I don't feel "tacky" at all, and feel that it is a shame that you find it neccessary to direct such judgemental language against a fellow CC member.

Bless you, because I really tried to stay "nice" with my reply.

A 750 ml bottle of Beringer that sells for $5 at my local liquor store goes for $20 a bottle on Princess. Of course my local liquor store is not a "moderately priced restaurant."

Beringer Chardonnay goes for $34 on Princess, $15 at our local liquor store.

The Muriettas Well Meritage, which is our favorite, is $44 on Princess. At the winerey, the same bottle is $35. We were in Reno recently and that bottle at one of the restaurants was $90. If you check moderately or higher price wines you will find that the markup on Princess is not that bad.

Bringing an unfinished glass of wine or champagne into the dining room is different than bringing a full glass or opened bottle just to avoid the corkage.

Bringing an unfinished glass of wine or champagne into the dining room is different than bringing a full glass or opened bottle just to avoid the corkage.

Just to be clear, I never mentioned an already-opened bottle. That being said, what difference does it make how much wine is in the glass when you bring it in? I don't know why I'm continuing this discussion, on second thought. Have a good night. :)

Just to be clear, I never mentioned an already-opened bottle. That being said, what difference does it make how much wine is in the glass when you bring it in? I don't know why I'm continuing this discussion, on second thought. Have a good night. :)

My comment was directed to royalcruz not to you.. Have a good night. :)

I would not use the word "tacky". I think the word "cheap" is more appropriate.

I do not understand how someone would pay thousands for the mini suite or balcony or even their inside cabin..... then feel the need to stiff the cruise line for a $15 corkage fee. If the budget is that tight.... maybe you should consider something like ......... camping......:rolleyes:

Would you do the same thing in your local restaurant ?

Archived