What pier?

Lga at 11 miles is closest. EWR is 16 miles and JFK is 19 miles according to Mapquest....

LGA by cab is about $35.00 JFK is 60 , and EWR is about $70. Car services are about the same but you don't have to worry about the meter running up.

We're also looking into the Dawn. I've never been to NYC before, so do any of you have any recommendations for where to stay that is reasonably priced and not too far from the pier or airport?

We're also looking into the Dawn. I've never been to NYC before, so do any of you have any recommendations for where to stay that is reasonably priced and not too far from the pier or airport?

look at the port of call threads there are many threads on NY City and hotels...reasonably priced in NY may be expensive elsewhere, although with the dollar doing so badly it must really look cheap to some overseas people.

Are you planning on doing a pre or post cruise stay in the City?

If so, you may want a reasonably priced hotel in the City to be near everything instead of being near the pier or airport?

If you are only looking for a place to stay the night prior to your cruise, go to priceline or hotwire and you should be able to get a decent place in the airport area for $80 to $120 for the night.

If you are looking for a pre or post hotel stay for a few days to tour NY, I wouldn't stay near the airport. The hotel may be cheaper but the car/taxi/shuttle prices will kill your budget! Manhatten prices for hotels can be extremely expensive. You won't find anything nice less then $200 per night, even on priceline or hotwire. And, you need to be careful as many of the older NY hotels that are cheaper then that are shared baths.

On our recent NY trip, we stayed in Brooklyn at a nice hotel for about $150 per night and just took the subway into Manhatten.

I wish we had time to do a pre or post cruise stay in NY, but I've just started a new job and will barely be able to fit the cruise in. I'd looked at the east-coast homeports section a bit, but with the search feature not working nothing terribly useful popped up.

I'm still not sure if we can even make the schedules work out so we can go, but I'm beginning to feel way too depressed without a cruise booked! What we're looking at is one of the Canada/New England ones this fall, as we'll be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary about then.

Sounds like it's time to start doing a little more thorough research, as I never would have considered flying into Newark.

I wish we had time to do a pre or post cruise stay in NY, but I've just started a new job and will barely be able to fit the cruise in. I'd looked at the east-coast homeports section a bit, but with the search feature not working nothing terribly useful popped up.

I'm still not sure if we can even make the schedules work out so we can go, but I'm beginning to feel way too depressed without a cruise booked! What we're looking at is one of the Canada/New England ones this fall, as we'll be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary about then.

Sounds like it's time to start doing a little more thorough research, as I never would have considered flying into Newark.

Before you book anything, go over the the East Coast departure boards and ask for opinions. Some of the properties near the airports are "iffy".

If you are only looking for a place to stay the night prior to your cruise, go to priceline or hotwire and you should be able to get a decent place in the airport area for $80 to $120 for the night.

If you are looking for a pre or post hotel stay for a few days to tour NY, I wouldn't stay near the airport. The hotel may be cheaper but the car/taxi/shuttle prices will kill your budget! Manhatten prices for hotels can be extremely expensive. You won't find anything nice less then $200 per night, even on priceline or hotwire. And, you need to be careful as many of the older NY hotels that are cheaper then that are shared baths.

On our recent NY trip, we stayed in Brooklyn at a nice hotel for about $150 per night and just took the subway into Manhatten.

Do you mind if I ask where you stayed in Brooklyn?

Archived