first timer needs advice

patches12

My husband and I are first time cruisers. We need help! I have been looking for several weeks at cruises to the Caribbean for May or June 2008. We live in the U.S. I have looked so long that now I am totally overwhelmed. There are too many choices. (Once I am an experienced cruiser, I am sure I will be happy with all of those choices.) We can fly non-rev to almost any port, but don't know if we will or not. We may not want to take the chance. Our main problem seems to be that we cannot decide which area of the Caribbean to choose. We are in our early 50s, but our 23 year old daughter will be going with us for her graduation present. Can you believe that a 23 year old WANTS to go with her parents? I thought about the Bahamas so we could see the Blue Lagoon. Then Belize or Cozumel sounds nice too. Since this is our first one, we want to choose a great itinerary. Excursions, excursions, excursions!I am assuming that the Mexican ports have a totally different "flavor" than the Caribbean ports, but what about the differences between Eastern and Southern Caribbean ports? Can someone help me? At this point, I do not know what I want! Sorry for the long post, but I really need to book the cruise because it is getting too late. Thanks for your help!

Since this is your first cruise, you can't go wrong, in my opinion, with any part of the Caribbean - west, east, or south. They're all different, but all enjoyable.

You're right, the Caribbean is different than Mexico. However, if you choose the Western Caribbean, you'll stop at 1 or 2 Mexican ports. If you want something different, I'd try Eastern or Southern.

Since your daughter is sailing with you, you may want to try Royal Caribbean. She would be more likely to meet people her own age.

Not sure what you mean by flying non-rev.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Roz

Sorry! Non rev means non-revenue (standby). My husband works for an airline. We seldom fly standby though. Not many seats available any more. What is the best thing to look for? snorkeling, shopping, etc. We want to do both, but shopping is not essential. Only thing we really want is sun and relaxation. I am a teacher and by the end of May I may not want to be around too many children (LOL) on a cruise, but can't do anything about that. Just kidding to all those parents out there! I love teaching or I wouldn't be doing it. Students and teachers are both tired of each other by the end of May!

Most of the cruise lines have a similar selection of excurions, and they will have excursions for all the main attractions at any port. So just pick a line (Carnival and RCL are good places to start since they have a lot of ships), then pick some ports and take a look at the excursions available.

Also, if you never been to the port before, then it doesn't really matter, since any excursion you go on will seem new.

If you want a short 3-4 day trip, try the Bahamas. If you want a longer, try eastern or western caribbean. RCLs Majesty of the Seas is a good starter short cruise. Freedom of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas is great for a first 7 day cruise.

Patches -- the choices are overwhelming but seriously, it's hard to go wrong.

Try to figure out what is most important to you. For me it was price. Then just compare what's most important to you among all the choices. If you can't narrow it down, get a few 3-4 choices, write the ships' names down & pick one out of a hat. That's how serious I am about the fact that you can't go wrong.

That said, I'd lean toward RCL b/c it has a good mix for the generations.

I love NCL but some people don't like Freestyle & there may not be enough 20 somethings so your daughter will have fun. Most of the 20 somethings on my last NCL cruise seemed to be the crew. Great group of people but . . .

first you need to decide how long of a cruise. i do not like the 3-7 night cruises because i don't like most of the passengers that sail on these. I am not saying that everyone is bad, but some are too whiny, pushy, loud and obnoxious for me.

ok, so what do you want to do? Scuba, Snorkel, Dolphins, Zip-line canopy, shopping? The best Dolphin experience is on Cozumel-dolphin discovery ROYAL SWIM - do not book through ship, book on-line.

feed the stingrays?

My island preferences. St. Lucia - take any excursion - beau?tiful island.

Cozumel - Dolphin/ scuba

Grand Cayman

St. Thomas, Tortola- love tortola, St. Marten,

St. Barts, St. Vincent, St. Kitts

islands i do not like

Puerto Rico! stay in the compounds/ use ship excursion to hotel compound or city. do not roam alone

same with Jamaica, Domincan Republic, and just stay on the ship for haiti.

I also did not care for but have only been once so i might change my mind = barbados,

grenada (is beautiful, but take and excursion),

ok, so what do you like/want to do? everyone on this board has different preferences. you need to find the people with the same likes and dislikes as you.

good luck

Thanks! We are leaning toward the western caribbean, just because we know more about Cozumel. One ship will stop in Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. Another one does some of those ports and Ocho Rios.

I am concerned about Jamaica. I have heard lots of stories. Husband went to Hedonism II once in Jamaica. Said it was not a place he would go to again. It was where the "young" ones booked, he had no choice. He did not like Jamaica at all.

What do you think about Ocho Rios? Anything good to do?

Cozumel for dolphins, Belize for Sting Ray/snorkeling....

Don't want a lot of real strenuous hiking. Husband won't do tubing in Belize! I tried to talk him into it.

Too much to decide!

Thanks! We are leaning toward the western caribbean, just because we know more about Cozumel. One ship will stop in Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. Another one does some of those ports and Ocho Rios.

Some may like Jamaica and I don't need any flames, but it isn't one of my favorite's. I always say 'I didn't leave anything in Jamaica I have to go back for'.

The Western itinerary sounds like it would be great to give you all you're looking for. Beaching, snorkeling, relaxing, shopping. Personally, since you haven't been to any of them I would do Belize, Cozumel, Roatan and Grand Cayman, and again, that's only because I'm not particularly fond of Jamaica.

If you read up on the Ports of Call boards for each port there's lot's of tips and information. Belize is a place to have an excursion either from the ship or on your own. I've used Coral Breeze (you can find more info on them in the Belize thread at ports of call or do a google search) and snorkeled with the sharks and stingrays. Then went to a nice Cay (outlying island) for an afternoon of fun.

Also at Grand Cayman you can go out to Stingray City, I've done this with Marvin's and again, there's more info on the Ports of Call boards. There are also some other companies that do this and its cheaper and less crowded than the cruise line.

Cozumel and Roatan can offer you things along the same line.

It is difficult to decide, but if you narrow it down to your date, where you want to go, your budget, it whittles away your choices and makes it a little easier.

All the mass market lines NCL, RCI, Carnival, Princess are going to offer you a great chance to have a great time. Some people have their preferences, mine happens to be NCL because of the dining style. I don't like 6:00 or 8:00 for dinner and like having a vactation on my terms. But I have sailed others and enjoy every cruise I've been on.

Whatever you can't get to this year, there's always next year.:)

About Jamica.......we loved it. We stayed in Ocho Rios for a week. Yes you need to be carefull....but now adays one should be carefull any where/:(

I would recommend the Dunns River excursion. You have the opportunity to actually walk UP the river(I waited at the end for my husband. first you

walk down to the river then with a group & guide walk back up in the water. I choose to have my hair done in" corn rose & beads" and shop.)

What are some of your choices there?

Cricket.

Well, one cruise goes to Belize and one goes to Ocho Rios. I think we are choosing the Belize one.

Here is what we are thinking. Please let me know if I need to change things around. Some places are better than others I know.

Belize- Shark Ray and maybe Bannister Island. Husband says no to tubing.

Roatan- ?? snorkeling??

Cozumel- Chankanaab & Dolphin Discovery OR Dolphin ?? (other one)

Grand Cayman-Rays & Reef, stingray city, rum point beach?

Any thoughts??

7 nights in late May

Thanks,

Sounds like you have a good plan, to pinpoint it down more you can visit the Ports of Call boards for each port and get some great tips and suggestions.

As for Belize, we did Shark Ray and went to Caye Caulker with Coral Breezes. It was a great trip.

Since you are beaching it or doing water activities for the most part, I know in Roatan they have a zip line that would be something different to do.

In the Cayman's, as I said, we did Stingray City with Captain Marvin's but we wanted to see other things too. I asked a guy about this at Captain Marvin's and he had a taxi meet us after we got off the boat and then took us to the turtle farm and Hell, then dropped us back off close to port to so some shopping. So we got alot in that day.

Again, check out the ports of call boards for great info. Have fun!:)

Jamaica is definitely not a place to roam around. I think it has the highest murder rate in the world. I was there several years ago - you are safe on the resort compounds - but if you step outside that barbed wire topped fence......(and no, I'm not kidding about the barbed wire)

I am concerned about Jamaica. I have heard lots of stories. Husband went to Hedonism II once in Jamaica. Said it was not a place he would go to again. It was where the "young" ones booked, he had no choice. He did not like Jamaica at all.

What do you think about Ocho Rios? Anything good to do?

Cozumel for dolphins, Belize for Sting Ray/snorkeling....

Don't want a lot of real strenuous hiking. Husband won't do tubing in Belize! I tried to talk him into it.

Too much to decide!

You always have the option of staying on the ship. You don't have to get off. There will be more "room" on deck.

If you do want to see a little of Jamaica I'd recommend climbing Dunns River Falls. Although the vendors were very pushy it was a beautiful waterfall & not too hard to climb. I'm not very athletic & I'm pretty klutzy -- just pack water shoes.

Well, one cruise goes to Belize and one goes to Ocho Rios. I think we are choosing the Belize one.

Here is what we are thinking. Please let me know if I need to change things around. Some places are better than others I know.

Roatan- ?? snorkeling??

Any thoughts??

7 nights in late May

Thanks,

I wish that I could go on this one. I noticed that you ? marked snorkeling. We snorkeled at West End Beach and were not impressed. If I hit Roatan again, I'll have to go to Half Moon or Tabyana. Seen raves on Tabyana but I think that it gets crowded. You can google and find all of the beaches and choose from that.

Chank and Bannister are nice. Too bad hub doesn't want to tube, though. It is a hoot.

I had the Rays, Reef and Rum Point Tour booked for the Caymens and we had to rebook when Katrina hit. Maybe next year. Be sure to post a review when you return.

No kiddin - went for a walk down at the beach around 3am - and there was an armed guard in the shadows - makes ya realize for sure.

I know, beautiful resorts on some beautiful water... all behind barbed wire.:eek: That certainly tells one something.

I absolutely LOVED Puerto Rico when we were there in December. I can't wait to go back. And yes, two females walked around all day and never, ever felt the least bit uncomfortable.

For our first cruise, it was all about price (and pretty much still is). I cruise for the islands, so having a luxurious ship with a butler to wait on me just isn't important. I'd much rather spend my money exploring the islands.

You just need to get out there and give it a try.

Our first cruise was 5 day Tampa, Grand Cayman (stingray excursion), Cozumel (we went to the ruins in Tulum) and back.

2nd cruise was a repo: Tampa, Grand Cayman (stingrays again!), Montego Bay (bamboo raft down a river), St Thomas (tour over to St John), and home from Puerto Rico (didn't get to explore; had to catch a plane).

3rd cruise: DD's graduation present - 4 day to Freeport (just an island tour) and Nassau (stingrays!).

4th cruise: Port Canaveral to Nassau (just shopping), Half Moon Cay (fabulous private island; perfect beach day) and Grand Turk (horseback ride & swim).

5th cruise: loved #4 so much we did it again 6 months later!

6th cruise: FLL, St Thomas (shopping/island tour/Sapphire beach with Papa Bear of Air Force 1 tours; wonderful day), San Juan (self-guided walking tour; loved it!); Grand Turk (horses yet again!), and Nassau (self-guided walking tour).

In a couple of weeks, we'll be going Western again, since it's been a while: Port C, Cozumel (booked Playa Uvas beach with guided snorkel, lunch & adult beverages), Belize (cave tubing with Major Tom), Roatan (undecided), and Freeport (beach & shopping on our own).

Yes, it can be overwhelming. A friend sailed with us on our first cruise and she pretty much picked the excursions and helped us out a lot. Since then, I've done all the planning (just DD, soon to be 22, and I).

There are so many wonderful places to visit and so many things to do. I'm always amazed when someone will come here and say "oh, just stay on the ship, there's nothing to do there!" Are you kidding me? It will take dozens of visits to the same port before I decide I've seen it all and done it all!

Whatever you decide, I'm guessing you'll have a wonderful time. :D

I absolutely LOVED Puerto Rico when we were there in December. I can't wait to go back. And yes, two females walked around all day and never, ever felt the least bit uncomfortable.

I too love Puerto Rico, but you might be mistaken (or maybe I am :confused: :rolleyes: :p ), but most of the posts you might be referencing were talking of Jamaica.:)

Roatan- ?? snorkeling??

Any thoughts??

7 nights in late May

Thanks,

Patches - this is a very good itinerary. We've been to all of these ports. I recommend a ship's excursion in Belize as we did not feel safe outside the fenced in area (as a side note, it's a tender port). We visited the ruins there.

If you end up in Jamaica, take the ship's tour to Dunn's River Falls - good place to visit once. Subsequent visits to Jamaica, we just stayed on board the ship or go to the walled in area a few blocks from the dock - shops there and Margaritaville.

We can also fly non-rev, but NEVER do when flying in for a cruise. It is getting tougher to take advantage of this perk!

Have fun deciding which cruise/itinerary/ship to book - as others mentioned, all cruises are GREAT! :)

Patches..i tried to reply once but hit a wrong key somewhere so I apologize if my name pops up down the list twice :) I too am planning my first cruies for Nov 2008. We chose the southern caribbean through Royal Caribbean. How I came to my decision was I thought about what I wanted most. In my case since my dh or I have never been on a vacation anywhere, we wanted to see everything. The southern route (through Royal Caribbean that is) has five port days. Its said to be the most exotic of the caribbean. Also we have been able to figure out excursions on our own. The stops include st.thomas, st. maarten, antigua, st. lucia (which i am most looking forward to) and barbados. i saw that you were interested in lots of excursions and thought i would tell you about how i came to my decision.

Best Wishes

Amanda

• 2 weeks later...

Patches, I have to strongly urge you to go to the pyramids in Belize--if you are at all interested in history, culture, etc. GREAT trip to Xunantunich! You get to see the country, eat their food, see wonderful views of the rain forrest...my son still considers it one of his favorite things from all our vacations. Really worth seeing--DH and DD did the snorkeling in Belize and both wish they had done the pyramids. Just our two cents :)

Patches...

You have come to the right place, CC is great!! Now lets get serious for a minute or two..

You have asked for advice, you have been given some very good advice as well as some that is of a more personal flavor...

Here is the bottom line for you..

You, your DH and your DD are going on a cruise...

Why not sit down, (The three of you) figure out what you would like to do and then pick a boat to get you there.. Carnival boats are usually filled with the younger crowd, Royal a little more sedate crowd etc.. Trust me and the others that have stated that ANY cruise you will have a blast on.. The choice is yours and only yours to make.. All the ports have good as well as not so good things about them.. Your cruise will be exactly what YOU make out of it.. There are many, many threads here on Cruise Critic, full of all sorts of information.. You are doing the right thing by researching..

Good luck, have fun and most importantly, don't get all stressed out about it...:D

Archived