Galapagos: Hotel vs. Cruise

Holly2

We've heard great things about the Xpedition, but were wondering whether anyone explored the option of staying at a hotel in the Galapagos and taking day excursions to the other islands.

If so, what are the pros and cons?

We've heard great things about the Xpedition, but were wondering whether anyone explored the option of staying at a hotel in the Galapagos and taking day excursions to the other islands.

If so, what are the pros and cons?

I don't believe it's that easy to arrange individual travel and I would guess it to be very expensive. I don't know how you would hook up with the naturalists on your own either.

The Celebrity Xpedition handles every detail seamlessly-i would recommend their 10 or 11 night package. I'm going on her the third time next July-my best vacation ever.

Operators do offer day trips and two-and three-day excursions (we saw signs when we were in Puerto Ayora). But a big con is that you spend a lot of time traveling back and forth to your home base, limiting the distance you can cover. Our ship sailed from island to island at night, allowing us to see several different islands, several too far away to be a comfortable day trip from Puerto Ayora. And seeing the variety of terrain and animals is one of the reasons to go to the Galapagos.

A co-worker of mine did the day-trip thing because her husband hated boats. She was rather dissatisfied with the experience, mainly because of all the traveling back and forth.

I'm booked on the Xpedition next April after tons of research on the best way to do Galapagos. Most people stay in hotels because they don't want to spend alot of time on boats, then to see the best places they end up doing exactly that. I would recommend going with Xpedition. Even though they seem more expensive at first glance, they're really not when you factor in the airfare to Galapagos islands which I believe is around $400, the $100 fee to visit the islands, rental fee of wet suits, etc. Most of the other tour groups I checked into did not include these fees so their tour seemed cheaper at first. The Xpedition is all inclusive so almost everything is covered in the upfront fee.

Lovetocruise99, I think you are on the right track as far as I am concerned.

We also checked into doing the Galapagos on our own - or at least on smaller vessels (including sail boats), but decided that the whole trip was going to be expensive no matter what and why not spend the extra money and be sure of what we would get.

First of all, the two of us did not want to be on a small boat with 14 other passengers we didn't know anything about. I had contacted a travel agent in Ecuador to see if we could spend a couple extra days in the mountains around Quito and then fly to the islands. We had nice responses from them but it again came down to the flight to the islands and what boat to be on. We were 'lairy' and decided to do the Xpedition; and never regretted it.

We had fun, loved the ship and all its goodies, liked the guides and were flabergasted with the scenery and wildlife on the islands. We made new friends with whom we are still in contact and enjoyed the trip to the fullest. You may have seen our earlier posting with the web site that described it all.

Go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back May 16; we were on the La Pinta (which was wonderful in every way). There appeared to be tons of tour operators in both Quito and in Puerto Ayora where you could easily (and relatively cheaply) arrange day trips. Some of the day boats we met up with were definitely not very new and were not up-to-date in terms of their emissions and such, but there were at the same places we were so I think it is just a matter of what you can afford. Being on a 7day, we traveled mostly at night so were on the islands by 8 or 830 each morning and until 6 or 630 each night. Were pretty much the only ones all but one or two places, which was very nice. But if you are a budget traveler and aren't afraid to take a chance, you probably can easily stay on Puerto Ayora and manage some nice day trips, although not to all islands. And each island was incredible in its own way.

• 2 months later...

Holly 2

Here's some against the grain advice - Do BOTH

My wife sailed the Xpedition last October - Truly first class - it is not a cruise but a real naturalist adventure - an amazing amazing vacation and X gets the best naturalists

BUT

we really disliked the pre-sail 2 days in Quito - X does a great job but it is geared to seniors (no offense) and it is not very adventurous - it's mostly

sightseeing and includes no physical adventures

We are surely going to do the Xpedition AGAIN but next time we would only buy the min 7 day and instead would do our own private stay pre or post in the Islands (I think the Galap only has one or two Islands that have hotels)

Agreed every day or trip would require a longer boat ride - and the Hotels are geared more to travelling university students and you have to be accompanied by a naturalist - so it aint cheap - and it might be harder to find one whom speaks gooe english - BUT then who doesn't want to ride in a zodiac everyday in 70 C weather in the middle of of an ecological paradise?

jc

Toronto

Next off to Antartica

I HIGHLY recommend Metropolitan Touring and the Santa Cruz. It was our best cruise ever! The company owns the ship as well as two others. When we go back we will use them again. This ship has 80 passengers and is all inclusive.

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot say enough about the Xpedition. We saw so much and everything is all inclusive including airfare to/from Baltra and the hotel, food and tours in Quito. The guides are extremely knowledgeable. The ship provides snorkel and wet suits to all. It was one of the most amazing adventures we have ever had and Celebrity did an outstanding job. I tend to be critical of most cruise ships and I had no complaints on this one at all from beginning to end.

There are also smaller vessels that offer an excellent way to truly experience Galapagos. We did a 7-nite cruise aboard Ecoventura M/Y Eric in May/05. This was a 20-passenger yacht that had first-class accommodation & meals, but no entertainment typical of larger cruise ships. The M/Y Eric carried its own kayaks, snorkeling gear & wetsuits and we did daily landings to most of the Islands, including several not often visited. We were always accompanied by our on-board naturalists. For us, this was a very unique way to experience a very unique part of the world. To this day, snorkeling with gigantic sea turtles and swimming with hammerhead sharks are my #1 heart-stopping travel memories.

Xpedition also was small for a large cruise ship line with a maximum of 98 passengers. This was probably one of the smallest ships we were on and did not feel large at all. In fact, you really do get to know most if not all of the people on board, and certainly all of the crew as well. Kicker Rock and actually all of the excursions were terrific. Xpedition generally offered people 3 choices of excursions in the AM and again in the PM (easy, moderate and more difficult) and all of the excursions were terrific. We swam often with the sea turtles, sea lions, sharks and even had a nighttime viewing of larger sharks underwater (they turned on the lights so that you could see them in the water below). What a show--we saw a sea lion come in and scoop a fish right in front of the sharks who were not fast enough to go after the sea lion). Any ship is probably terrific but we were so pleased with Celebrity on this one (unlike any other Celebrity cruise we have ever taken). It also is good for families who may be at different levels of activity. We had a couple in their 80's who went on many of the difficult ones who came with their grandson. It is not totally family oriented though since we did not feel that it was a family cruise per se but for those travelling in groups, it offered all for everyone.

It truly is a trip of a lifetime!

To second Piney 10 - the 7 day Xpedition is a first class nature vacation where Celebrity takes care of every little detail including the hiring of incredibly educated and well spoken local naturalists

In our opinion it's the naturalists who make this adventure so special

My wife and I generally don't make 'friends' on mainstream cruises - (tablemates at dinner execepted) - however on this Xpedition - we made potential lifelong friends - so much so we are going on another expedition (Silverseas - Anatatica) with people we met via Xpedition - but also one of the naturallists - whom we become so close with - her introduced us to his family on a shore exc in Santa Cruz

Our only complaint was that the 2-3 pre cruise package in Quito is not that interesting nor adventurous - we reccomend skipping this and going to Maccu Pichu or doing more independant travel in the Galop

jc

Toronto

I've been looking at the various ways to see the galapagos island for about 5 years. My wife and I are finally commiting to the trip. We will be going on one of the sister ships Eric/Letty/Flaming. The trip will be 8 days 7 nights of cruising, followed by 4 nights in San Cristobal(galapagos) for some day trips, the 4 nights in Quito. I've looked into most of the ships available and have chosen the ELF triad because of the small more personal touch you get on ships that only have 20 passenger, plus they offer Scuba diving on Tuesdays and Fridays during the cruise. I thought about going to Machu Pichu, but my wife has seen too many ruins to enjoy the trek involved in getting there. We have chosen to make our reservations through http://www.southernexplorations.com/galapagos-BoatELF.htm .

Jerry

I've been looking at the various ways to see the galapagos island for about 5 years. My wife and I are finally commiting to the trip. We will be going on one of the sister ships Eric/Letty/Flaming. The trip will be 8 days 7 nights of cruising, followed by 4 nights in San Cristobal(galapagos) for some day trips, the 4 nights in Quito. I've looked into most of the ships available and have chosen the ELF triad because of the small more personal touch you get on ships that only have 20 passenger, plus they offer Scuba diving on Tuesdays and Fridays during the cruise. I thought about going to Machu Pichu, but my wife has seen too many ruins to enjoy the trek involved in getting there. We have chosen to make our reservations through http://www.southernexplorations.com/galapagos-BoatELF.htm .

Jerry

Our friends were just on one of the ELFs in May and had a fabulous time.

Archived