Those Who Like Formal: Will You Still?

Leo Jay

I will be in a tux.............on the oldest and smallest "rusty bucket of bolts" in the fleet that is full of nothing but "overall wearing rednecks" :rolleyes::cool:

this is my first cruise and im going all out.............I dont get a chance to dress formal very often. Im looking forward to "formal" night even though its not really "formal" night anymore...............my whole group will be dressed to the hilt.

Glad to hear it! We still plan to dress formal, tux and all. You will have a great time, and the smaller ships are wonderful!:)

Just got off the Triumph last week and I wore a tux to both formal night. My DW and I don't get a chance to dress up much so we really enjoy it while cruising.

Happy to hear that some folks still appreciate and continue to carry on the tradition, despite Carnival's attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator.. ;)

Cruising is really the only place I can dress up my entire family for an evening together. So we will stick with it. I enjoy it and so does my DD. My DH and DS, well they could take it or leave it. But I am mandating no changes in our formal night attire....

Oh, I love the Formal Nights. I always feel like a girl getting ready for Prom. And I love getting my hair done in the Spa. Besides Freddy is so handsome in his suits! :o

Freddy and I will continue with the Formal Night Dress Ups.

We will be in formal attire on Formal nights. I will not change that no matter what. I am disappointed that Carnival has changed it, even if it is just a bit. I love wearing formal wear as we do not do that when we are at home. I also like to dress up on the other nights. The dinning room is so lovely, the tables are set so eloquently that I like to show respect and dress accordingly.

This is how I feel. I always feel funny at lunch time in regular clothes.

I never wore a tux anyway, although if my DW had anything to say about it I would have.

I dislike suits too but I figure she likes seeing me in a suit so I am more then willing to do that for her while on the cruise.

it won't really matter to me one way or the other. I will black suit and tie for dinner if they change it. Only for my DW.....of course that little 5' 110 lb woman will kick my a** if I don't...LOL

So I'm away for a few months, and now I'm hearing that Carnival's dropping Formal for Elegant? Ugh. I didn't really care much when other people chose to dress down -- as long as it was called FORMAL night I still felt appropriate in my tuxedo and loved having my rare opportunity to do so. But if it's no longer 'formal', I'm not sure a tux makes sense anymore, even though Carnival will be gracious enough to "allow" it.

So for those of you who like the idea of formal: will you still dress as though it were Black Tie, or will you go down to dressy?

That's an easy one. Dress for formal night!!!! It adds to the elegance of the cruise and don't forget... the first formal night is also the Captain's gala. Why would I want to disrespect the Captain by not being dressed appropriately. It is a respect thing as well as just plain fun.

That's an easy one. Dress for formal night!!!! It adds to the elegance of the cruise and don't forget... the first formal night is also the Captain's gala. Why would I want to disrespect the Captain by not being dressed appropriately. It is a respect thing as well as just plain fun.

How would you be disrespecting the Captain if you didn't dress formally?

I'm done with formal nights on CCL as far as tuxes and suits go. Saves me on a suitcase too so I don't have to pay extra fees.

Bill

We will be in formal attire on Formal nights. I will not change that no matter what. I am disappointed that Carnival has changed it, even if it is just a bit. I love wearing formal wear as we do not do that when we are at home. I also like to dress up on the other nights. The dinning room is so lovely, the tables are set so eloquently that I like to show respect and dress accordingly.

What are you going to wear on Casual Elegant nights since "formal" nights no longer exist on Carnival?

Yes, we will continue to dress in formal wear for "elegant" nights ;). SO bought his own tux in 2005 & he looks fantastic in it. And I love being a girly girl and dressing "up" in clothes that I would otherwise wear only to weddings! I think it lends a little more to the whole cruise experience.

Well, after 20 Cruises, DW and I will not be sporting Tux and Gowns for awhile. We're going on our 18th on Carnival June 1, and we are dressing down for "Elegant" night. I'll be wearing dress slacks and a dress shirt per the new dress code, DW will be dresed appropriately as well. We don't need anymore formal portraits, and we'll be carrying one bag less.

Carnival's new policy meets the needs of all and it's about time.

So I'm away for a few months, and now I'm hearing that Carnival's dropping Formal for Elegant? Ugh. I didn't really care much when other people chose to dress down -- as long as it was called FORMAL night I still felt appropriate in my tuxedo and loved having my rare opportunity to do so. But if it's no longer 'formal', I'm not sure a tux makes sense anymore, even though Carnival will be gracious enough to "allow" it.

So for those of you who like the idea of formal: will you still dress as though it were Black Tie, or will you go down to dressy?

I always wondered why I needed to wear a suit and tie when I was on vacation, but since my wife wanted me to dress up I did it just for her. Now I believe I'll take the dress shirt and slacks route. It looks like the majority still want to dress up for formal nights, and to each their own.

I will continue to wear 'evening' gowns.....I wear scrubs monday through friday, and never have an opportunity to get dressed up except for weddings and when I cruise.

Amen! Me too! I will always dress up on a cruise no matter what they call it. I spend the week in my "work pajamas" (scrubs) as well! I love cruise clothes!

I couldn't care less if Me Me Me minority continue to choose to overdress. I will still continue to enjoy the quality of food and level of service I receive.

People who focus on what others wear really need to get a life.

Archived