Upgrades

kdowneymd

WWe are on our first HAL cruise this JUly, the Zuiderdam, 12 day Venice round trip. We have a VC balcony, fully paid, picked the location and cabin we wanted, very happy. Since final payment dates have passed there are suddenly many open cabins in higher categories.When we booked we were asked would we consider an up grade, of course, yes. I am wondering if experienced HAL passengers can answer whether HAL typically will contact passengers and offer them an upgrade or wait to see if these cabins sell and offer at the last minute. Right now, the prices on line on these cabins have not dropped that much that I would jump at it, but am wondering typically what HAL's SOP is, thanks for any info

I just got off the Zuiderdam Ft Lauderdal to Rome passage. The ship was sold out, but we were twice offered a "pay for it" upgrade and both times refused. When we got to the dock we were upgraded from an HH to a VA. I have noidea what t was all about, but it surely was nice.

It was my first upgrade.

Be careful what you wish for.....,One client got an "upgrade" from an outside cabin to a "partially obstructed" on the lower promanade deck on the Amsterdam. That meant that they probably would not be able to see the water at all. Another got an upgrade....from an obstructed outside to a "porthole" not good if you are claustrophobic....Customer service is no help. They claim these are upgrades according to their inventory.

In 2007 we were booked on the Ryndam in a BB for a 10 day Mexico Cruise and had told our TA when we booked in 2006 that we would like to be considered for an upgrade. We received a call from our TA about a month before the cruise asking us if we wanted to upgrade (really "upsell") to a suite for an additional $2,000+. We said no and did not get a "free" upgrade. It turned out that our cruise was shorted by 2 days due to the Norovirus outbreak so we were glad that we did not shell out the extra money.

In June of 2006 we were booked in a DD category on the Zandam out of Seattle for an Alaska cruise that DH had spur of the moment booked less than two weeks before departure. At the pier we were upgraded to a VA for no extra charge. That was our one and only upgrade on HAL.

We did take an upsell on NCL one time because the price was too good to pass up for the Aft cabin with extra amenities.

We are now waiting for a 14 day cruise on the Veendam from Vancouver and have a guarantee EE and have not had a cabin assigned yet (depart 3/30). DH and I are prepared to be assigned to an EE and be happy with what we receive.

Archived