Sick Child-Familythrown off ship (merged)

The information from RCI was posted elsewhere on the internet, I didn't get it directly from them. It was an update to one that said they would not pay for the flight, etc. because the family didn't have insurance.

I'm sorry RCI caved in, I wish they had held firm on not paying the family anything.

I can see family's bringing a baby on, inducing vomiting, etc., screaming how they were mistreated and trying to sue everybody they can.

Hey, at 66 I'm entitled to be cynical.

You know that CBS is looking for a new anchor. I think you ought to apply for the job.:D

Aubie

Aubiecruiser, IMHO you are wrong to pass judgment on RCI because of this incident. My husband fainted in the dining room on board Celebrity's Mercury a few years ago due to a severe drop in blood pressure. He was 62 at the time. Our waiter called the Medical Center immediately and they were there in seconds, took him to the infirmary, hooked him up to an IV and EKG because they feared a heart attack. The doctor was with my husband every minute he was in the facility. They were able to take tests and get results and within 45 minutes they had determined the problem and we went back to our cabin. My husband was completely revived and even took a shower. I was extremely impressed with the response and care we received in that situation. Unless one of your parents suffers a life-threatening illness which can be difficult to survive in a hospital in the States, I would feel safe with the medical facilities and staff on cruise ships.

huladancerdog: Aubiecruiser is on RCI side. I think you saw Lynncruiser's quote and thought Aubiecruiser said it.

Aubie: I'm too old and lazy to work any more. I will chase a golf ball and let a cruise ship take me anywhere she wants too. But, if they'd pay me what they're paying KC I might have to think about it. (If I could do the news from my webcam at home with one of our kitties on my lap).

Aubiecruiser, IMHO you are wrong to pass judgment on RCI because of this incident. My husband fainted in the dining room on board Celebrity's Mercury a few years ago due to a severe drop in blood pressure. He was 62 at the time. Our waiter called the Medical Center immediately and they were there in seconds, took him to the infirmary, hooked him up to an IV and EKG because they feared a heart attack. The doctor was with my husband every minute he was in the facility. They were able to take tests and get results and within 45 minutes they had determined the problem and we went back to our cabin. My husband was completely revived and even took a shower. I was extremely impressed with the response and care we received in that situation. Unless one of your parents suffers a life-threatening illness which can be difficult to survive in a hospital in the States, I would feel safe with the medical facilities and staff on cruise ships.

What???

I think you have me confused with someone else. I've backed RCI on this thread from the start. Please go back and re-read.

Aubie

huladancerdog: Aubiecruiser is on RCI side. I think you saw Lynncruiser's quote and thought Aubiecruiser said it.

Aubie: I'm too old and lazy to work any more. I will chase a golf ball and let a cruise ship take me anywhere she wants too. But, if they'd pay me what they're paying KC I might have to think about it. (If I could do the news from my webcam at home with one of our kitties on my lap).

glgolfer,

Thank's for watching my back on that.

That's news from home idea sounds great, if you want a reference just whistle me up. :D

Aubie

What happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions?

The parents made the decision to travel with a VERY young child.

The parents did NOT buy travel insurance.

The parents decided to travel without passports.

The parents did not report to the Dr. until three hours later; when things were out of hand.

The parents EXPECT a big settlement form the "mean, nasty" corporation...

:eek: :eek: Give me a BREAK!:eek: :eek:

BILL

Disclaimer: I DO own Royal Caribbean Stock!

I do so totally agree with you on this..I just want to know WHY people now days NEVER take responsibilty for their choices & actions? Then they get to sue or whatever & make $$. these poeple made their choices & they should have had to deal with them...too bad RCCL changed their tune on paying for other things. Just teaching them (parents) to learn if you holler loud enough it won't be your fault. :mad:

just like a family in Hollywood recently--sightseeing all over town with their daughter having the "chicken pox".."oh they said she isn't contagious now--they had JUST taken her to the Dr--AFTER all the running around.

Ok off my soap box NOW...:eek:

I do so totally agree with you on this..I just want to know WHY people now days NEVER take responsibilty for their choices & actions?

Maybe because every time you turn on the TV there is some attorney's add with an 800 number telling you that he will get you the money you deserve for anything that ever goes wrong in your life?

OMG... never would have ever thought that starting this thread would create the ruckus it has....

I really think it's two issues at play here,first, the issue of bringing such a young child aboard. I do believe that cruise lines should have a min age of at least 12 months....

Secondly, if you are gonna cruise and bring children,especially infants, that you take out Insurance.

CuriousCat

Maybe because every time you turn on the TV there is some attorney's add with an 800 number telling you that he will get you the money you deserve for anything that ever goes wrong in your life?

Like this one..........

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=765507

I don't know if this lawyer is a 800 but the fact that he took the case is laughable!!

Yes I suppose that is part of the reason--although where I live (small town) I very seldom see those kinds of ads..none the less--we still need to be responsible for our choices.

Lovetocruise99: here are 2 links: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352991,00.html

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2546

I Applaud the RCCL medical staff for being very,very careful with a 7 month old. As a parent, I feel much safer with a medical staff that wants to be sure, than one that guesses.

If the parents were sure that this was a cold, why did they go to the ship's Dr.?

Yes I suppose that is part of the reason--although where I live (small town) I very seldom see those kinds of ads..none the less--we still need to be responsible for our choices.

Lovetocruise99: here are 2 links: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352991,00.html

Thank you for the links so I wouldn't have to dig through 18 pages to get both sides of the story. I'm all on RCCL's side on this one. The medical staff always has to be cautious with children and they did the right thing. The truth is...no one likes the added cost of travel insurance but it's a necessary cost of cruising. Also, it can be a risk going to the ship's clinic because they can always decide to put you off for medical reasons. My hubby tends to be a hypochondriac so we've had several talks about not running down to the clinic for every little ache and pain unless he's ready to get off the ship!

Thanks for posting the link to the Cruise Critic news article. I had not yet seen that. It amuses me to no end that the article refers to two threads ["Two simultaneous Cruise Critic threads (one started by neworlensladi and one by curiouscat) on this topic show most readers agree the cruise line did the right thing in a potentially life-threatening situation."] apparently completely unaware of the fact that the board moderators can't call it a good day unless they have merged some number of threads together no matter how inappropriate it might be to do so. The resulting (current) thread is a mass of unrelated posts that were made along two trains of thought, which makes it now a thread of near nonsense.

And in keeping with the cruise travel media trend in general, they also get their facts completely wrong with this misinformation: "And although the U.S. government has decided cruise passengers departing from and returning to U.S. homeports do not need to carry passports, should unexpected circumstances such as this one occur, all U.S. citizens will need a passport to fly home from a foreign country."

I'm disappointed. Cruise Critic's news articles need to be better than that.

Theron

OK I will add my 2 1/2 cents worth..

First off, IMHO, the doctor did the right thing.. The safety of the patient as well as the other pax and crew is a major thing.. The child had "it" coming out of both ends.. Dehydrated etc..

What if it was a serious virus that could have made the entire ship (boat :D ex usn) sick.. Ok so the family, very ill prepared, had to leave the ship. RCCL made a good offer to let them cruise again however they also did the right thing with the denial of the refund. Heck we all would be cruising for free if that was the case..

I feel for the family, more so the child.. However the real question here is, why on earth would you take a child that young on a cruise anyway??

OK Stepping off my soapbox now..

(Also I think the news folks embellished the story a tad...)

And like someone else has said, there are two sides to every story and then there is the TRUTH!!

Theron: Did you see my correspondence with Channel 10 here in Tampa?

They merged it with this thread, too, which was not the best thing to do.

I was following the different threads, and I did see it, at least the first few posts. Since a merged thread is sorted completely by the time and date of the messages, it is impossible to follow the logical flow of thought that was inherent to the original threads. I've written e-mails to the manager about this in the past, nobody seems to care that what they end up with is a completely jumbled, incoherent series of posts that have almost no relative context. :mad:

Theron

Thanks for posting the link to the Cruise Critic news article. I had not yet seen that. It amuses me to no end that the article refers to two threads ["Two simultaneous Cruise Critic threads (one started by neworlensladi and one by curiouscat) on this topic show most readers agree the cruise line did the right thing in a potentially life-threatening situation."] apparently completely unaware of the fact that the board moderators can't call it a good day unless they have merged some number of threads together no matter how inappropriate it might be to do so. The resulting (current) thread is a mass of unrelated posts that were made along two trains of thought, which makes it now a thread of near nonsense.

And in keeping with the cruise travel media trend in general, they also get their facts completely wrong with this misinformation: "And although the U.S. government has decided cruise passengers departing from and returning to U.S. homeports do not need to carry passports, should unexpected circumstances such as this one occur, all U.S. citizens will need a passport to fly home from a foreign country."

I'm disappointed. Cruise Critic's news articles need to be better than that.

Theron

Are you sure that one of the threads wasn't just plain deletedand not merged? I remember some posts on the other one and I don't see them here at all.

Are you sure that one of the threads wasn't just plain deletedand not merged? I remember some posts on the other one and I don't see them here at all.

I suppose it's possible, but "redundant" is not one of the normal criteria for having posts deleted... ;)

Theron

I suppose it's possible, but "redundant" is not one of the normal criteria for having posts deleted... ;)

Theron

I agree, I was just wondering if maybe the thread wasn't getting "out of hand" in some way. I can't count how many times I've signed on looking forward to reading replies on a thread only to find it vanished sometime during by absence.

ABSOLUTELY!! I started getting suspicious when I read the article and got to the part about no passports. I figured they weren't the sharpest tacks in the box, or had INARGUABLY bad planning skills, to not have a bottle of Peidialyte or anti-nausea meds with them on a cruise ship with an infant, for pity's sake!! (Maybe they did, but the article didn't say anything about that. Methinks the journalist wanted to get a "good" story under his/her name.) Then, we got to the combination of no passport, no travel insurance, and crying to STAY ON THE SHIP when the doctor advised them to GO TO A HOSPITAL!!! I then suspected, and continued to suspect, there was a language barrier, or a not-so-smart barrier, along with the poor-planning barrier with the parents!!!

I agree here. You have just been told your baby is dehydrated and you are worrying about staying on the ship? Sounds like these people had their priorities straight.

The good thing about this is that it should be a reminder to people to get their passport and travel insurance.

From different articles that I read, they were not telling it exactly as they said. Also, Royal Caribbean paid for their fare back and gave the credit on the cruise. I personally would not take a child under 12 months on a cruise, due to the schedule they are on and they are not happy. I have seen many parents over the past 20 odd years of cruising that were very stressed with crying children, not to mention other guests on the ship. I left my 4 girls with a sitter or relative when we cruised. Can't stand to go to dinner and listen to a screaming child, and the parents are deaf to it.

Archived