Sick Child-Familythrown off ship (merged)

Thanks, I side with RC on this one. The ships Dr was right when he thought ahead and no medical facility in CoCo Cay. Sorry the family had all this happen to them, but after reading this, most of their grief was brought on by themselves by waiting to seek medical attention at first and not having passports. Both of these compounded the situation and it escalated from there.

This is a good example of not having passports and what can happen. :eek:

I believe RCI did everything they could to not only help the child, but to protect the other passengers as well. I was on Celebrity's Mercury two years ago when they had a major outbreak of norovirus. Not only was it a nightmare for sick passengers (of whom I was one), but the ship was held in port by the CDC for two weeks following and had to cancel it's next cruise costing the line big money. But I think the main question in this situation is, why did the parents wait so long to get the child to the infirmary? It seems to me that if they had acted more quickly, they would not have had to pack "on the run." It's unfortunate that they had so much difficulty in returning to the US, but as everyone else has stated, passports and travel insurance would have been helpful. Their health insurance carrier may reimburse them for the emergency room costs.

Furthermore, and I guess I'm on a soap box, why does the news media have a vendetta against the cruise industry? Admittedly, there have not been as many negative stories about cruising lately, but it seems that if someone sneezes on a cruise ship, the news media pounces on it and makes a big deal out of it. Is it just me or have other people noticed this as well?

The media sure does run with these stories. :rolleyes:

http://consumerist.com/384434/royal-caribbean-tells-family-to-abandon-ship

And I have just posted a comment pointing to the RCCL statement about the situation. Hopefully the web site's editors will see it and append the main story to include the other side. They do tend to be fair in situations like this.

Theron

The media sure does run with these stories. :rolleyes:

http://consumerist.com/384434/royal-caribbean-tells-family-to-abandon-ship

I'd love to see RCI sue the idiot newsies that broke this story, and as stated above black-list that entire dimwit family that stirred all this up. Like my good old uncle B.S. once said, "You can't hide stupid!"

Aubie

What happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions?

The parents made the decision to travel with a VERY young child.

The parents did NOT buy travel insurance.

The parents decided to travel without passports.

The parents did not report to the Dr. until three hours later; when things were out of hand.

The parents EXPECT a big settlement form the "mean, nasty" corporation...

:eek: :eek: Give me a BREAK!:eek: :eek:

BILL

Disclaimer: I DO own Royal Caribbean Stock!

Anyone want to bet that we don't see THAT side of the story in the media? I won't be holding my breath.....I don't look good blue.

Sure we will. They will say that due to the media pressure, RCI is paying for the flights home.

Now this one I believe. :) Why some people feel it necessary to twist stories to get sympathy is beyond me.

Because anything bad that happens is always someone else's fault.:rolleyes:

I think everyone KNEW there was another side to the story. Unfortunately, this side will probably not be televised.

Nothing wrong with giving the family a future credit for the unused portion of the cruise but too bad they "caved" and reimbursed them for the airfare.

Another example of the squeaking wheel gets, in this case, the undeserved oil.

What happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions?

The parents made the decision to travel with a VERY young child.

The parents did NOT buy travel insurance.

The parents decided to travel without passports.

The parents did not report to the Dr. until three hours later; when things were out of hand.

The parents EXPECT a big settlement form the "mean, nasty" corporation...

:eek: :eek: Give me a BREAK!:eek: :eek:

BILL

Disclaimer: I DO own Royal Caribbean Stock!

Bill, It doesn't make much difference if you own RCI stock. What you said is absolutely true. I saw the story on Fox News this morning and when they asked the mother if she would take another cruise, she said "yes, but not on Royal Caribbean." If they continue being irresponsible in their travel plans and documents, they are sure to have another unfortunate experience of their own doing. Will they continue to narrow their choices of travel? If so, they might be better off staying home.

I'd love to see RCI sue the idiot newsies that broke this story, and as stated above black-list that entire dimwit family that stirred all this up. Like my good old uncle B.S. once said, "You can't hide stupid!"

Aubie

Actually I think all the cruise lines should keep a list circulated of all the troublesome people, and ban them. These people tried to profit from their daughters illiness, which imo makes them especially loathsome people.

Bill, It doesn't make much difference if you own RCI stock. What you said is absolutely true. I saw the story on Fox News this morning and when they asked the mother if she would take another cruise, she said "yes, but not on Royal Caribbean." If they continue being irresponsible in their travel plans and documents, they are sure to have another unfortunate experience of their own doing. Will they continue to narrow their choices of travel? If so, they might be better off staying home.

I think its disgusting, that for one...they tried to benefit from their daughters illiness, and two I think the cruise line industry should put them on a list and ban them. Apparently they haven't learned their lesson, and apalling that their trip was more important then a sick baby.

Actually I think all the cruise lines should keep a list circulated of all the troublesome people, and ban them. These people tried to profit from their daughters illiness, which imo makes them especially loathsome people.

In the UK it is possible to be banned from all tour operators, not sure about cruise lines too though.

I had a woman banned for life from every coach tour operator in the UK a few years ago. She was a professional complainer...went on trips and complained about everything to get refunds, free holidays etc. What she didn't bank on with me on one of my coach tours that I was chartered to carry out was that I got wise to her and a couple of other passengers got into her confidence and she told them that she had done it for 5 years or so. The passengers told me, I contacted my charterer and they entered it onto the database and she was banned from all coach tour operators for life...and I ended up offloading her due to her intimidating behaviour towards another passenger. The woman complained to the company saying I had handled her roughly off the coach and that the hotel, coach etc was bad. She demanded her rail fare home. What she hadn't realised is that we knew what she was up to, so she got absolutely nothing and she can no longer travel...and I took her photo which is on the database incase she tried to use a false identity.

The family in this case almost killed their little girl...I honestly dread to think what might have happened if the lass had died on board ship.

The lass should be taken into care of the authorities if her parents actions are anything to go by.

Archived