HAL fuel surcharge is now $7

viccruiser

Just noticed on the Hal website, that the fuel surcharge is now showing at $7 pp per day.

I saw a 5 day flash in Canadian $ and I think it was $8.85 or close to that.

How high will it go?

viccruiser

Besides the fuel surcharge is anybody aware that the Government Fees and Taxes have also dramatically increased. We are sailing 7/17/08 on board Prinsendam and had to pay an additional USD 231.- Government Tax and Fees.

Curious to know if other members have notices the steep increase

peter

I don't know the date of this CNN link, but it does show the grass is not always green elsewhere, unless you live in Russia or Caracas:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/price.html

Those prices are from April/May 2006 (follow the links in the column headers). It would be interesting to see how much those have gone up at this point (although the comparison would be muddied by the change in the exchange rate as well).

Besides the fuel surcharge is anybody aware that the Government Fees and Taxes have also dramatically increased. We are sailing 7/17/08 on board Prinsendam and had to pay an additional USD 231.- Government Tax and Fees.

Curious to know if other members have notices the steep increase

peter

Those are likely port specific fee increases. The amount of increase would vary depending on where you're going. For instance, our 6/29/08 cruise (which we booked last summer) has had a more modest tax/fee increase of $6.69 per passenger.

Just noticed on the Hal website, that the fuel surcharge is now showing at $7 pp per day.

How high will it go?

viccruiser

All the Carnival brands are going to $7 pp/pd and are adding $2 pp/pd for the 3rd, 4th, & 5th person in the cabin. NCL is going to $9 pp/pd + $4 for 3rd and 4th. Disney has now added a fuel surcharge (makes it unanimous for major US based lines) of $8 pp/pd + $3 for others in cabin.

All the Carnival brands are going to $7 pp/pd and are adding $2 pp/pd for the 3rd, 4th, & 5th person in the cabin. NCL is going to $9 pp/pd + $4 for 3rd and 4th. Disney has now added a fuel surcharge (makes it unanimous for major US based lines) of $8 pp/pd + $3 for others in cabin.

It is unanimous. The Carnival brand surcharge is the least costly of them all.

How high will it go?

viccruiser

Ahhhhhhh, that explains why it's $98 on my invoice for this September's cruise. I was gonna question that with my TA, since I was under the impression that the fuel surcharge was not supposed to exceed $70 per person.

Good question. How high will it go?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Fact: Holland just lost a class action (as did several other lines) in Florida. They have refunded the surcharge for our 2008 sailing. They are therefore "upping the ante" for sailings that extend past the date of the Court ruling. I still don't get why they don't just add $7 dollars a day to the published cost of the sailing, but what do I know?

Fact: Port charges vary, but I cruise exclusively in the Mediterranean in October, and while last year's trip had port stops in Egypt and Israel that drove the charges up, the apear to be trending up generally. I know this because a 12 day trip scheduled for next year is costing me 35% more in port charges than a cruise we took with a nearly similar set of port stops and 12 sea days 2 years ago. They have to pay to convert to Euros in 90% of the ports in the Med, so they are simply "passing this on" to us.

I sure do wish this rough economic trend would start a reversal - it is getting tougher to bear the costs, and I am not sure how much longer we will be able to continue to cruise.

Also, other threads confirm my suspicion that service and amenities are also being scaled back - one even says TP was being rationed :eek: ...

Fact: Holland just lost a class action (as did several other lines) in Florida. They have refunded the surcharge for our 2008 sailing. They are therefore "upping the ante" for sailings that extend past the date of the Court ruling. I still don't get why they don't just add $7 dollars a day to the published cost of the sailing, but what do I know?

That is NOT a fact - not sure where you get your information. There is a class action suit in Florida claiming price fixing among the cruise lines. That suit has not been heard, and is unlikely to be heard in the near future.

Royal Caribbean violated a price protection clause in their cruise contract, so refunded the fuel surcharge for cruises where that violation occurred. Carnival Corp. decided to refund the fuel surcharges for cruises booked prior to the announcement of the surcharges. There was NO lawsuit.

They don't "simply" add the cost of the fuel surcharges to the cost of the cruise, because then they would have to pay TAs a commission on the increased price of the cruise. A surcharge is rapidly put into place.

Archived