How do you get a refund or OBC when govt/tax fees goes down?

SJ

Hi all,

I booked in September 2007 for our cruise in Sept 2008 on the Miracle. 2-3 months ago, I noticed the govt/tax fee lowered by $16 pp(there are 3 of us). I spoke to my TA about it and he has no response for me. I'm not sure he actually tried talking to anyone at Carnival or not. I didn't think it would be so difficult to at least get OBC being the fees are non commissionable. I also believed all passengers should pay the same fees on the same sailing. Am I wrong? Has anyone experience this and what happened?

Any advice would be appreciate it!

It would seem to me that Carnival should send you a new invoice with the new price as at this time it wouldn't be necessary to have paid in full. I would ask the TA again to check and if she/he said no, then I would ask about releasing the booking back to Carnival and then go from there.

I don't know if your TA is giving you something special, ie OBC from the agency etc. but if that is happening, you might want to consider that before you make changes etc. I don't know if your agency has cancellation fees if you return the reservation to Carnival. That's something else to consider.

I guess if all fails, you have learned not to use this TA again. I personally would consider the time and trouble you have to go thru and wonder if it is worth more than the $48 you are seeking.

Good luck.

First, I would call Carnival directly to confirm that the fees/taxes actually went down. And if they did, ask Carnival how they deal with the difference... and OBC or Refund. My guess is OBC... and that it will show up when you board.

Carnival may tell you if the fees went down but if you booked with a TA, they will not work with you on any refunds/OBC. They will simply tell you to contact your TA.

Carnival may tell you if the fees went down but if you booked with a TA, they will not work with you on any refunds/OBC. They will simply tell you to contact your TA.

Im also thinking besides what you mentioned, that if the overall price of the cruise has gone up, they may take the overall price into account and thats why the TA isnt giving back a refund if the fees went down on their cruise.

Govt and port fees do not belong to Carnival or the TA. If they are collected under the guise of Government fees and kept by someone else that would be considered fraud. They are not part of your cruise fare and should not be part of any cruise increase.

Govt and port fees do not belong to Carnival or the TA. If they are collected under the guise of Government fees and kept by someone else that would be considered fraud. They are not part of your cruise fare and should not be part of any cruise increase.

I was thinking more along the lines that it is how the TA is printing out the final documents charge, sometimes they break out charges differently than Carnival, but guess we dont really know what the OP is looking at that makes them say the price of the taxes and fees went down. It could even be a fee charged by the TA.

Sounds to me like a question for the TA to answer and if the TA wouldnt answer, then ??? Dont use this TA again.

Thanks for all the replies. I confirmed with Carnival all the govt, port and taxes for the cruise before I even contacted my TA. My invoice definitely has a different number.

You are right I won't be using this TA in the future. I should have kept the booking with Carnival until final payment. The promotion I received is always available whereas I thought it was only good during the month I booked.

$48 is $48. I just think in principle, this is wrong if the TA or Carnival is keeping this money.

Archived