What To do?

I could save $540 on my cruise (for 2 people) if I give up my Oceanview room and go to a Guarantee Oceanview. Currently we have 3 cabins in a row on Deck 3 (midship). I don't know where we will end up if we go to the Guarantee Oceanview. Anybody have this happen? Did they get re-assigned? HELP! Thanks for any input.

Deb:D

You just never know what they'll do. You have to decide if it's more important to have three mid-ship cabins in a row or save the $$$. If "location, location, location" isn't important (I'm assuming you're not travelling with children who need to be adjoining) I'd go for the savings. Just IMHO.

If you find that $540 is a lot of money to you, in today's economy, then I would go for the guarantee cabin. But, all three of your cabins can land up on different decks and ends of the ship. Some can go lower and others might go higher. Just ask yourself this question "how important is it if all of our cabins all separate on different decks?" Then make your decision based on your answer.

I think I would seriously consider it. Just my opinion, but I would look at the $540 and think about what you could do with it on the cruise (tours, shopping,) and if you are booked on deck 3 the worst they could do would be to put you one deck below, or maybe further back or forward than you'd want to be. We've stayed on deck 2 plenty of times and it's not that much different from deck 3. If you are traveling with young kids who need to be watched, that's another thing. But, if not, who knows but that you might end up with a better cabin. The cabins are all going to be the same general size, same furnishing, just a different location on the ship. It's a slight gamble. Good luck!

I think if it were me, I'd opt for the gaurentee. $540 for 2 people would be about the amount of my sea pass bill!

But, of course, if location is important to you, then stay where you are.

Is there any way you can tell what is still available in the OV cat? Get an idea of where you might end up? Who knows, once your cabins are released, you might even be lucky enough to get them back! It could happen! :D

A~

What ship are we discussing? On some ships, I would give up an assigned oceanview for a guarantee with no hesitation, especially for $540. But on others, like the Sovereign class, I won't take an oceanview guarantee again due to the possibility of being assigned less desirable cabins.

What ship are we discussing? On some ships, I would give up an assigned oceanview for a guarantee with no hesitation, especially for $540. But on others, like the Sovereign class, I won't take an oceanview guarantee again due to the possibility of being assigned less desirable cabins.

Like forward near the anchor! What a cruise that was.

For me it was the oceanview on the Promenade deck with people running past the window all day (and trying to look in) and then the people holding parties right outside the window in the middle of the night.

I had friends in one of those rooms!! WHAT NOISE that was! Plus, its weird how the portholes go in at the front of the ship....makes you more closed in than if you were in an inside!

Thanks so much for all your input. I love Cruise Critic fans for their candor and input. I decided to change. It was a drop of almost $700 for the cabin. It could be spent in better ways, I felt. We're not in the room much, anyway. We'll have to see after August (sailing 8/15/08) to see if I made the right choice.

.................... We'll have to see after August (sailing 8/15/08) to see if I made the right choice.

You don't have to wait until august............. just keep checking your reseveration on line to see what cabin you have been assigned. I've found that sometimes the cabin is assigned within a day or two.

I have also been assigned a cabin I wasn't happy with, and was able to call and change it to another cabin within the same catagory I was assigned, after looking to see which were available.

Did I explain that clearly enough?

What I am saying is, once you are assigned a certain cabin, your "guarantee" status is no longer there............

It depends how important this room you booked is to you. We did a guarantee once and it was fine. Our view was partially obstructed by a life boat, but it was a short cruise and we were fine with that. It was well worth the savings for us.

Once you get assigned, I have found that you can then change your cabin to another one in the same category. Dont know if this is allowed all the time, but worked for us last time. We actually changed into the same cabin we gave up!

Woo-Hoo! I'm glad I changed! Thanks for all the advice. I changed from a confirmed OV to an OV guarantee.

Zoe - Thanks! I went back into my reservation and for several days it showed OV - Guarantee. Then, lo & behold, today I checked again. We got our rooms back and saved over $650, too! Two out of three of us got the same rooms, I haven't confirmed with the third one. Now I'm excited.

Archived