Best Mediterranean cruise line?

Hi there - we are thinking seriously about a Mediterranean cruise in the fall, but wondered if one cruise line does a better job than another in this part of the world? There are lots of great sounding cruises, but want to try and choose not only a good itinerary but also a cruise line that handles the Mediterranean well. We are considering Princess, Celebrity, and possibly Holland America. No kids, two adults over 50.

I did try using the "search" but it doesn't seem to be working at this time.

Suz

This is one of those very subjective questions, most of the lines are consistent with their service and food regardless of itinerary. If you love one line, start with that one, otherwise I suggest finding the itinerary and dates and price that work best for you and ignore which line its on. There are differences in bigger ships versus smaller ships for level of activity and show energy and quality, just as their are differences in service and food quality levels between the different lines. You just need to decide what is important to your cruise experience when deciding. We prefer the smaller ships since they seem to go to ports that the bigger ships can't always get to, for us in the Med the itinerary is what's most important. Once you narrow things down by what is important for you, it gets easier to decide. If you look through the reviews of individual cruises, you'll see a mix of people who thought the service or food was great and others who hated it. Its easier when you have friends/family that have similar tastes to yours be able to recommend what they liked and disliked. We did our first cruise with a larger family group on Princess and our second with some friends on Celerity, we enjoyed both trips but liked the food on Celebrity better but met plenty of people who preferred Princess' food. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

You may want to check out Oceania if you do not mind a smaller ship with limited smoking areas (only 2) usually no kids, open dining, no formal nights.

I agree with "Nparmelee" there are so many variables, likes & dislikes

A good TA would be able to steer you to a cruiseline that suits you

Enjoy whatever line you choose

Suz,

As has beensaid, everyone has their own preferences...largely because we all have different criteria, different standards, etc.

As for ME, I've cruised Europe on Princess, Celebrity twice (with a third coming up in July) and Oceania (with a second coming up next June)...

Celebrity would always be MY first choice based on passenger-to-space ratios, service and value for the money...But, generally I choose my cruises based on the itinerary...and that's VERY personal...where I want to go is based on where I've been or not been before or how recently...So, that varies for everyone...

And, of course, other people may have different criteria...

I enjoyed Oceania...but, it is a different experience from Celebrity...smaller ship, no formal nights, open seating has its advantages...but also its disadvantages--open seating is nice for flexibnility--especially with odd port hours, but detracts somewhat from service with different waiters all the time...Entertainment not nearly as good on Oceania and the ships end to "close down" early and there is little selection in off-hours food options...Still it's a very nice experience...but it does tend to cost a bit more than Celebrity...and even more than Azamara--Celebrity's very similar offshoot with sister ships of the Oceania ships...

I was not pleased at all with Princess on my one foray into Princess' Europe...It paled in a num,ber of areas next to Celebrity--but some people swear by Princess...

I would look first for itinerary--are there ports you wish to visit? Then value for the money...Then the ship and reputation of the cruise line...For me, space is a big issue...not necessarily ship size...A large ship with fewer people is in a number of ways better than a smaller ship with more people per the gross tonnage...

Good luck...

Cunard without a doubt, followed very closely by P & O - sailing out of Southampton. Remember in Europe there are many, many European cruise lines which tend to get overlooked by Americans.

Cunard without a doubt, followed very closely by P & O - sailing out of Southampton. Remember in Europe there are many, many European cruise lines which tend to get overlooked by Americans.

I found sailing out of Southampton an interesting trade-off. The weather on the trip between the Med and Southampton can be a bit variable. Ours was quite gloomy and this experience wasn't too atypical according to others. On the plus side you pick up ports that aren't available visited on the cruises departing from within the Med itself. For instance, I really liked Vigo as a port call.

As others have said, very subjective. First cruise to the Med we chose HAL - Noordam, 10 nights - Rome/Rome. I was in my late 40's, dh in his late 50's. We had a wonderful time. Back to the Med in June this year on Oceania - different experience. We're doing this cruise for itinerary 14 nights - Venice/Barcelona but would do HAL again in a minute.

We really enjoyed our Royal Caribbean cruise in the Med last Nov/Dec.

We are also very late 40's/early 50's couple with grown kids. Active and like to boat, fish, scuba, surf, hike, ski....... and we have found that RCI is a really good fit for us.

We choose our cruises for the ports tho. The ship is secondary. Altho we don't think we will try one of the "super duper" ones - too many people. Don't think we need a skating rink, a mall or to surf onboard but do want nice amenities.

That said...... looking next year to cruise again but on Celebrity as RCI does not appear to be porting in Istanbul and this is a must on my list. Celebrity Solstice (their brand new one - not even sailing yet) has a wonderful itinerary Rome to Rome with Istanbul, Athens, Ephesus, Santorini, Rhodes, Mykonos etc.... my next dream cruise !

One other plus.... on RCI you will pay in US$ not euros. With the crummy conversion rates right now that is a real plus in my book !

I really enjoyed my cruise with Carnival on the LIberty in 2006. So much so that I am going on the exact same cruise on the Freedom. It is a 12 day cruise from Rome(Civitavecchia) cruising to Naples, Dubrovnik, Venice,Messina, Sicily, Barcelona, Spain, Cannes, France(Monoco and MonteCarlo), and Livorno, Italy ( Florence and Pisa). We really got to see so much of the main European Ports. Really enjoyed this cruise and I recommend it.

Thanks so much to all who answered! We had a great cruise a couple years back on Holland America so will be leaning that way, but.... we really will search to find the itinerary that suits us, and let that guide us more than the cruise line itself.

Thanks again, all!!

Suz

I have been to the Med 2 times one with Princess and the other on the Carnival

Freedom both were unforgettable but my favorite was on carnival.it was excellent!!! This just came out and it is very well deserved.

Carnival Cruise Lines – a relative newcomer in European cruising, entering the market just three years ago – is well represented in the recently published Fodor’s Complete Guide to European Cruises, garnering nine “Best of Cruising” designations, more than double the number of any other cruise line.

Fodor’s Complete Guide to European Cruises is an annual publication providing comprehensive overviews of all major cruise lines operating within the region, along with travel tips, detailed port-of-call information and other helpful content aimed at experienced and first-time cruisers alike.

Carnival’s nine “Best of Cruising” awards include:

*Best Regular Dining Room Cuisine

*Best Specialty Restaurants

*Best Cruise Line For Families

*Best Regular Cabins

*Best Beds

*Best Entertainment At Sea

*Best Sports and Fitness Centers

*Best Shops on Board

*Best Fun & Funky Activitie

Archived