We've just returned from a trip on the Destiny. An area within the Oklahoma lounge was a smoking area, so at the moment it is possible to smoke inside - at least on Destiny. Does the new May 2008 brochure include current sailings, or could this be a change which will begin with the Winter 2008/09 season?

Hi Sobral,

It seems not :(

Hubby is a smoker, I'm not, but he had to go & huff & puff on deck during our recent cruise. (Much to my relief!:) )

Here's a quote from our Cruise News, dated 12th April:

"Following the recent changes in UK legislation & feedback from our customers, smoking is only permitted in strictly designated areas. The smoking areas can be found on on parts of the open deck only.......Please note that smoking is not permitted in the cabins."

Thanks for that, I'm gutted!!!! Did enjoy a smoke after dinner in Liberties on Celebration or High Spirits on Spirit! Its strange that Thomson have elected to do this, hardly any other cruise liners have banned smoking altogether inside ship, It may mean I have to re-think my cruise company choice. Its a great pity since I have been an excellent Thomson customer and love Thomson cruises but I think its a bit much that even when sailing outside UK waters, and Thomson ships are not registered in UK, that they cant even designate a tiny area for us smokers.

wish they would put a total ban on smoking !

my hubby and i gave up 18 months ago - sadly as soon as he goes on hols he thinks he can just have one! don't work like that! so now we are going on a cruise it would be great if he couldnt spark up at all !! - (just cos i would kill for one !!) : ) but will not give in !!!!

I have found the answer on the Thomson web site. Smoking is only allowed at designated sites on the open deck. Smoking is not allowed inside at all.

I suspect this new policy commenced on 1 May.

Thanks for your interest and replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quote from our Cruise News, dated 12th April:

"Following the recent changes in UK legislation & feedback from our customers, smoking is only permitted in strictly designated areas. The smoking areas can be found on on parts of the open deck only.......Please note that smoking is not permitted in the cabins."

Bravo, Thomson!

Hi Taylaboo

I've just been on the Emerald- the smokers could light up to their hearts content on the Boat Deck open air bar area -so in effect they took over that bar.

Why do smokers whinge when we asthmatic non smokers move away from them lol! Someone sat at a table next to me and held her hand away from her own face with lit cigarette smouldering away so the smoke was drifting into my face and hair, then grumbled because I decided to move to another table.An asthma attack is no joke!Thomsons should be congratulated for their policy.

Incidently cigs are £14.50 for 200 on the ship -never seen them so cheap.

Flopsy

wish they would put a total ban on smoking !

my hubby and i gave up 18 months ago - sadly as soon as he goes on hols he thinks he can just have one! don't work like that! so now we are going on a cruise it would be great if he couldnt spark up at all !! - (just cos i would kill for one !!) : ) but will not give in !!!!

By way of your above selfish comment........

Does this mean if you were dieting or were controlling your calorie intake, they should BAN fast food chain restaurants?!!!.......or are you just another one of Labours Nanny State Followers

By way of your above selfish comment........

Does this mean if you were dieting or were controlling your calorie intake, they should BAN fast food chain restaurants?!!!.......or are you just another one of Labours Nanny State Followers

Hi I don't like people smoking next to me but then I have had one family member die of lung cancer and another of heart disease brought on by smoking, so you could call part of the "nanny state" because I don't want to be surrounded by smoke.

Hi I don't like people smoking next to me but then I have had one family member die of lung cancer and another of heart disease brought on by smoking, so you could call part of the "nanny state" because I don't want to be surrounded by smoke.

Fair enough...what type Heart Disease and lung cance did they sadly die with? There are many, and to date no death certicicate has ever in British laws said so,,,,

Did they work with abstestos, or fullers earth ingridients? Fullers Earth is the one which killed Roy Castle....they used Fullers Earth when recording bomb/explosion scences on carry on films

Hi Somersetkaraoke

Not sure what type of lung cancer, it's husband's family so the details are a bit sketchy. My Dad worked down the mines in a South Wales valley so his heart disease was linked to that and smoking, he died of a massive heart attack. Sorry if I came on strong didn't mean to, you never know our paths may cross as you seem to enjoy cruising as much as we do!!

Smoking is one of those issues that raise a lot strong views, some people would stop everyone smoking everywhere

(drinking could be next :eek: )

I have noticed in the last 5 years the area people can smoke on ships has shrunk considerably. Let's hope it is fine, I don't see why there can't be 1 area inside. In Liberties there was an area and it didn't seem to bother anyone.

Where are you going this year? We are on Spirit on 20th June and Calypso on 29th September and on the Ocean Village on 21st April 2009. :)

Hi Somersetkaraoke

Not sure what type of lung cancer, it's husband's family so the details are a bit sketchy. My Dad worked down the mines in a South Wales valley so his heart disease was linked to that and smoking, he died of a massive heart attack. Sorry if I came on strong didn't mean to, you never know our paths may cross as you seem to enjoy cruising as much as we do!!

Smoking is one of those issues that raise a lot strong views, some people would stop everyone smoking everywhere

(drinking could be next :eek: )

I have noticed in the last 5 years the area people can smoke on ships has shrunk considerably. Let's hope it is fine, I don't see why there can't be 1 area inside. In Liberties there was an area and it didn't seem to bother anyone.

Where are you going this year? We are on Spirit on 20th June and Calypso on 29th September and on the Ocean Village on 21st April 2009. :)

We're off on NCL Jade in August, and transatlantic in Nov.

Which Ocean Village ship are you going on? I used to Works as Entertainments Officer on P&O's Arcadia before she went across to OV one....you'll have a super time onboard i'm sure.

Hi there

We are going on the OV1 because it travels in April, the 1st month of the new leave year for both of us.

We were on the OV2 in April and loved it! but it travels in march and we would have run out of leave by then.

I am hoping to carry a couple of days leave over from this year but it could prove difficult as our daughter is expecting her fourth baby, youngest is 10 months old, her husband is in work and she cant drive, so guess who's on standby for anti natal appointments!!

We had our tickets today for our cruise on 20th June, can't wait now.:D

• 2 weeks later...

In view of Thomsons Smoking policy i will not be travelling with them again even though i enjoyed trips on the Sapphire and Topaz and the Sapphire was outstanding don't know what happened to her would be nice to find out.

My thoughts on Smoking are simple if you want to smoke do it but do it with consideration. if you don't easy don't!

However there seems to be a growth of the I'M in Charge group who feel that they have the right to tell everybody else what to do in a condesending manner.

but think why the government keeps smoking legal

it equates to at least 10 pence in the pound off of current income tax rates. if it does nt come from smoking where will it come from?

as people quit smoking the tax rises this keeps the status quo but if all stop it will come from somewhere else.

could be Alcohol or junk food or petrol ( sorry already there with that)

We all have Vices just beware your vice could be next.

BE A CONSIDERATE SMOKER dont add fuel to the fire.

• 2 weeks later...

:mad:

Is it correct that from winter 2008/2009 smoking will be banned throughout all Thomson ships?

Last saturday I went in to our local Thomson travel shop and asked the female travel advisor what the smoking policy was on board Destiny. After finding the information on her computer she said that each bar had a smoking area and one could smoke in their cabin.

I then pointed out to her that the information she was giving me was completely wrong. She then telephoned Thomson and was told that their was no smoking inside the ship or cabins etc etc

Regardless of what anyones views are on smoking Thomson do not seem to consider giving the correct facts to prospective customers is important.

In view of Thomsons Smoking policy i will not be travelling with them again even though i enjoyed trips on the Sapphire and Topaz and the Sapphire was outstanding don't know what happened to her would be nice to find out.

My thoughts on Smoking are simple if you want to smoke do it but do it with consideration. if you don't easy don't!

However there seems to be a growth of the I'M in Charge group who feel that they have the right to tell everybody else what to do in a condesending manner.

but think why the government keeps smoking legal

it equates to at least 10 pence in the pound off of current income tax rates. if it does nt come from smoking where will it come from?

as people quit smoking the tax rises this keeps the status quo but if all stop it will come from somewhere else.

could be Alcohol or junk food or petrol ( sorry already there with that)

We all have Vices just beware your vice could be next.

BE A CONSIDERATE SMOKER dont add fuel to the fire.

That is what the problem is....................there are no considerate smokers, at least those that I've seen smoking in the onboard bars and to make matters worse the more they drink the more they smoke.

As I've said in another thread, I'm a heavy smoker and have no problem going outside as so many other smokers do.

It's just the lazy and ignorant sods that can't be bothered or care !

That is what the problem is....................there are no considerate smokers, at least those that I've seen smoking in the onboard bars and to make matters worse the more they drink the more they smoke.

As I've said in another thread, I'm a heavy smoker and have no problem going outside as so many other smokers do.

It's just the lazy and ignorant sods that can't be bothered or care !

So if just one bar was smoking there wouldnt be a problem would there.You cant argue that one.:mad:

Archived