Suggestions for a Panama Canal cruise?

sunshine95030

My boss has asked me to find a nice Panama Canal cruise for his parents on Princess (flexible with lines if someone knows of an even better cruise!) for a Christmas gift. I'm booked on the Island Princess to Hawaii 12/20, but am not at all familiar with Panama Canal cruises, and I thought with all the great people/cruisers on cruisecritic you may have some suggestions for me (and my boss!) Thank You!

You might look at the Regal Princess which leaves Dec. 24th from Fort Lauderdale for a 15 day cruise through the canal to L.A. My wife and I are on this one. Great ship, itinerary, and crew. We took her from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale last Oct.

I would recommend the 10 day partial transit on the Coral which is the Islands sister ship. If he wants to go in April or September he could sail on the Coral as it was heading to/from Alaska and do the full 15 day transit.

Scott

I don't agree with ahracer above.

I think full Canal transit is the only way to go - truly a thrill going from ocean to ocean (sea) across the Isthmus.

If you do go, read The Path Between the Seas by David McCulloch - great history of the building of the Canal.

Do the cruises to the Panama Canal generally go in Nov/Dec, Mar/April? They'd probably want the springtime cruise since it's a Christmas gift. They live in San Diego and would love a round trip from there, but it doesn't look like that's offered through Princess, right?

The full transit cruises are usually one way repositioning cruises, generally 15 days, going east to west in the spring and in the fall, west to east. I'm going on my second partial Canal cruise in Feb on the Coral because I loved the first time so much. Email me at [email="ritalou@tnni.net"]ritalou@tnni.net[/email] if you'd like more information.

Since it's for your boss' parents, I'd go for the 15-day Regal cruise. I agree with Michael in that a full transit is the way to go... it's awesome. There's nothing like sailing under the bridge as you head on out into the Pacific. That would be my first choice. The partial-transit would be a 2nd choice.

Having been on both the Coral and the Regal in just over a year, I think the Regal service is more personal.

Either way, you can't go wrong but I'd go with the Regal.

We are also going on the full transit 15-day Regal cruise on December 24. We have been on a 10-day partial transit on the Sun and the Crown so we are really looking forward to the full transit from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles. If they do not want a 15 day cruise, the 10-day partial transit is a good second choice. The Regal is a great ship, a little smaller than the Sun Class ships.

[quote name='Druke I'] I think full Canal transit is the only way to go - truly a thrill going from ocean to ocean (sea) across the Isthmus.

If you do go, read The Path Between the Seas by David McCulloch - great history of the building of the Canal.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree with both statements!

You didn't mention what time of year they may be cruising. Also, how old are they? The reason I ask is the partial transit offers the ocean to ocean tour, which takes you through the canal to the Pacific on a smaller boat. Did this earlier this year and it was a great day, and you see the canal workings up close and personal.

They're probably in their 70's. What's the difference between full and partial transit? They definitely want to transit the canal, and probably a springtime cruise would be best. They live in San Diego and RT from there would be ideal. I also think a smaller ship-not like the Grand size-would be best for them. The Regal or Coral would probably be a good ship for them, but if you can give suggestions re: transit, RT from San Diego it would be much appreciated!

I am going on a Panama Canal cruise in April. Will be going on 15 day through the canal on the Coral. Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco. I have read that a full transit the first time is the best. Really looking forward to it. Also just found out that my uncle worked on the canal.Delores

The partial transits are from Fort Lauderdale, entering the locks on the Caribbean side, going to Gatun Lake (where they can get off for excursions either the Ocean to Ocean tour mentioned above or the rail trip alongside the canal and others) where the ship turns around and then picks up passengers from the excursions at the docks near Colon (maybe another city on the Carribean side???) The positive of the partial transit is the fact you can take these excursions. I do not know if this is an option on the full transits. I also agree that the book "The Path Between the Seas" is excellent.

There is not a RT canal cruise from San Diego. From San Diego or LA the full transit would be SD or LA to Ft. Lauderdale. Partial transit is RT from Ft. Lauderdale - after going thru the first 3 locks, the Gatun locks, the ship turns around in the Gatun lake and goes back thru the same locks.

The others are correct. The partial-transit is a round-trip from Ft. Lauderdale. The ship goes as far as Gatun Lakes and drops passengers off for ship-sponsored tours (you can't go off on your own). A couple of the tours take you to the Pacific via train. These are good if you aren't making the full transit but it's not the same as going on the ship through the whole transit.

You can't get off the ship during a full-transit of the Canal but it's still worth it.

Archived