Does RCCL allow you to carry off your luggage?

We are scheduled for AOS on 10/10 and just got finished reading the horror story about the luggage problems on 10/3 with people missing flights and staying in nasty hotels. Will they allow you to keep your suitcases in your room and carry them out yourselves instead of putting them in the hall the last night?

I don't know if it was only in Vancouver as a pilot (I think it was), but we were able to check our bags all the way through to our final destination. We signed up early, paid $15 each. On the last night, we got special luggage tags, placed our bags outside our rooms. The next morning, we went to the designated spot to be called up to receive our airline luggage tags and boarding passes. We were then able to get off the ship (we didn't because we hadn't had breakfast, had a 1:00 flight & were in no hurry) and bypass the baggage claim zoo. Still had to get in line to go through Canadian customs (had we gone when we were allowed to there would have been no line, but again, no rush), but then when we got to the airport, we could bypass the ticket counter checkin & go right to US Customs with no large bags to lug! Our bags arrived in Los Angeles with us. It was well worth the extra money.

As I said, I think it was just a pilot program for Vancouver. If they've expanded it, I recommend it. Otherwise, I have to think you can take your own bags off. After all, by disembarkation morning, it's too late for the ship to deal with it.

by the way, Linda, you're my idol - look at all those cruises! :D

We always carry our luggage off...most of it rolls or attaches to a bigger case so it really is not a problem to do this. We are mindful of other passengers and try to be repectful with our movement upon debark but yes, you can take it off. Miami and Vancouver have elevators to help with getting down to customs, etc...not sure of other ports.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I booked Adventure of the Seas and have a 2 p.m. flight, I'd like to know the same thing. Has anyone ever tried carrying their luggage off the ship in San Juan?? Also, how do you find your luggage at this pier? Are they stacked in rows, on a carousel?

I couldn't get any other flight. Will we be OK if we are up early and down to the debarking area early??

What about carrying on your luggage? I was thinking of doing it for our upcoming 5-day cruise since we are packing light. Only bringing one large suitcase for myself. I can easily carry it on. Is it a rule that you have to give your luggage to the porters?

My understanding of carrying your luggage off the ship is this.

You must be able to physically carry it, if need be. The elevators are often very crowded and if you cannot carry your luggage onto the escalators you are not allowed on -- you are directed back to the lines for the elevators. This, of course, refers to the cruise terminals.

Now that I booked Adventure of the Seas and have a 2 p.m. flight, I'd like to know the same thing. Has anyone ever tried carrying their luggage off the ship in San Juan?? Also, how do you find your luggage at this pier? Are they stacked in rows, on a carousel?

I couldn't get any other flight. Will we be OK if we are up early and down to the debarking area early??

The luggage is stacked in rows, according to colors on the luggage tag, not on a carousel.

As a general rule, a 2pm flight should be just fine. We had a 2:30pm flight and we were at the airport in plenty of time. They call you off the ship by fight times (not by the color of luggage tags...the colored tags are just to help you find your luggage in the baggage pick up area) We had a 2:30 flight and our time was called at 9:00. We decided to wait a bit and departed the ship aroumd 10:00. Still made it to the airport in hours to spare.

Now...the airport...thats a whole other thing. We got to the airport around 11ish and waited about 1/2 hour to get thru the securtity check. But, by the time we got the the front of that line, the line behind us was 3 times longer. I would imagine the people at the end of that line waited a good hour and a half to get thru security.

MszKitty, thanks for your reply. I think since we pack pretty light (5th cruise, we have the routine down now) and we have 2 teens, we'll carry our luggage off. We were held up on Explorer last year looking for 2 suitcases. One was put on the wrong color carousel for a debarkation much later than ours. It took a bit of hunting to find it. My husband spotted a porter with the other one, don't know where that one was off to!! I'd like to think good thoughts...that he was bringing it to the proper carousel. If I can minimize delays, our chances of making our flight improve.

That's the time when you get to fight for your luggage in the baggage pick-up area? :D
ahaaa...got me!....yeah...that's it!....."fight" time...LOL :p (I'm usually so good at using the edit feature for typos. Missed it this time, didn't I?:o )

hmmm....althooooough....maybe it really wasn't a typo...maybe it was my subconscious taking over my typing.:eek: :D

MszKitty...

Let me clarify that. Three of us fit in one suitcase and a suitbag and my 15 year old daughter's clothes go in a second, :eek: her shoes in a third, :eek: and her hair stuff in a fourth!:eek:

Now that sounds more like it!:D

Archived