Anyone Used NCL BAGS Program?

akwaaba

My flight out of Seattle isn't until 10pm and I'm thinking of using this program so I don't have to haul around my luggage all day. Anyone used this program or know anything about it?

Thanks

Sheila

We used it in Honolulu. I believe it was $20/person/bag. the night before disembarking you receive your boarding passes and claim tickets for your bags. Really nice not to deal with them on the final day, especially since we went to Pearl Harbor.

All 6 in our group did it and no one had a problem. And in today's overbooking world of air travel it's nice to have your boarding pass in hand!

We've used it in Miami the past two years on American and United. Worked fine both times. It's nice to bypass all the others checking luggage at the the curb or counter and going straight to the gate. Plan to use it in Nov in Ft Lauderdale on Jet Blue.

We used it in Honolulu where it's even better than the Continental US. In Honolulu, you leave your luggage outside your room the night before embarkation and then pick it up at the airport when you land. It's the best unless you do something stupid like forget to leave out something you intend to wear for your trip home. Like, say underwear. It worked beautifully for us. I think continental US requires you to claim your luggage for customs/immigration purposes. It's nice but not as cool as Hawaii.

At $16 pp, the BAGS program was an amazing bargain! [Note to NCL: This doesn't mean feel free to raise the price ;) Happy departing passengers who write happy things are priceless, ya know...]

With our four bulky suitcases out of the way---yeah, we overpacked (my Beloved foolishly insisted on packing heavy coats and boots for *Alaska*, of all places, while my inclusions of an angel costume [see White Hot Party thread] and duct tape and computer and 3 MP3 players seemed far more reasonable to me)--we were free to breeze through the disembarkation process as Express passengers.

When we finally arrived in Virginia, 24+ hours later, our bags were waiting for us, far less worse for the wear than were we.

Also, having our airline boarding passes in hand was very reassuring. NCL's copies looked so much more *official* than my previous computer printouts. ;)

Conveniently, Seattle's cruise terminal has a concierge service next door, so we were able to stow our carry-ons there and stroll over to the Pike Place Market for a few hours. When the attendant praised our packing skills for us having made do with only one suitcase each, I had to admit that there were already four bags in the pipeline, and, yes, we were idiots...

Btw, be forewarned---the service only operates until 3:30, at least that was the case on May 3rd.

I believe we took the same, ahem, "10:00 pm" flight that you've scheduled. Honestly, I truly wish we'd have stopped at a hotel near the airport and napped for a few hours. Between flight delays (we left at midnight), inability to sleep in the economy section and an hour's drive home, we were wrecked.

Still, it was a very fine cruise. And--to get back to the topic at hand---the BAGS program was great for us.

Hey

We used the service just yesterday. I agree it was a deal at $16 per person.

We ended up with an extra bag each from buying stuff so we had 2 bags and a carry on going home. It was postively lovely to be able to walk off the ship with NO luggage, grab a cab, skip the line and head right to the security at the airport. Painless.

Our luggage went from Seattle to Detroit, and on to Buffalo. It was there and was the first on the carousel. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

From the looks of all the airline tags on the bags set out that last night, lots of people used this service.

On Friday night we got the luggage tags and boarding passes delivered to our room, so on Sat. night we just packed up, put the airline luggage tags they provided on and put our suitcases out before bed, we never saw them again until Buffalo. Very organized and well worth it.

Good luck

Is this service available when cruising from New York? Is it only certain airlines that participate?

Currently, they are not offering it out of NY and not all airlines participate in the program.

We're on the Gem out of Barcelona in June.

We plan to spend one night after the cruise in Barcelona.

Does anyone know if you can use this BAGS service if you are not flying out until the next day?

We could just take our carry on suitcases with us to the hotel and not be bothered with the larger pieces.

Depending on the port of debarkation, guests may be required to clear their luggage with U.S. Customs before BAGS can check them in with the airline.

Does anyone know what this means on NCL's BAGS page? I also think I read where a passenger had to pick up their luggage from the retrieval area, take it through customs, then they were able to turn it over to the BAG people to send forth to the airport. Also, does anyone know the earliest flight you are able to do this? Our flight is 11:35 out of SF. We are hoping to turn in our luggage the night before, walk off the ship with our one carryon, take a nice stroll to the BART station, and take BART directly to the airport. It sounds like a great plan however......you never know.

Seems like when we used Celebrity/Vancouver's arrangement we had to buy the ship's transfer before we could use the bag program. This allowed us to bypass the regular part of the airport and zip thru the special "bags" line. Is this the same, or do you supply your own transportation? Thanks

If the service is available it is the single best purchase you will make onboard!

Yes you go to the front desk, once on board, and there is a form you need to fill out. You also must take a government photo ID with you so they can confirm that you are who you say you are. They only have so many people that can use this service per cruise, so I would recommend do this sooner then later when you board the ship. This service can not be purchased shore side.

We're on the Gem out of Barcelona in June.

We plan to spend one night after the cruise in Barcelona.

Does anyone know if you can use this BAGS service if you are not flying out until the next day?

We could just take our carry on suitcases with us to the hotel and not be bothered with the larger pieces.

They do not offer this in Europe. Due to international security regulations you and your bags have to remain with you at all times, prior to checking them in with the airlines.

what about kids - are they $16 per person as well? The reason I ask is we are 4 in a cabin with 2 small kids who have one bag each (probably). If they are not discounted rate, can they just carry theirs off or does everyone in cabin have to participate?

I would say yes, because under the BAGS program you also get your airplane boarding passes the night before. For those sharing your cabin who didn't participate in BAGS they'll have to get their boarding passes the usual way.

I don't remember how many special luggage tags they give you per paid BAGS, but luggage without the special tags will have to be claimed at the dock as usual.

what about kids - are they $16 per person as well? The reason I ask is we are 4 in a cabin with 2 small kids who have one bag each (probably). If they are not discounted rate, can they just carry theirs off or does everyone in cabin have to participate?

Would it really be a time saver if you could exclude the kids?

You would still have to lug around luggage, still have to wait in line at the airport to check the luggage and get boarding passes for them, etc.

Why does everyone think kids should be discounted for everything (off topic, don't answer that). :)

Falken - I am going to answer it anyway, or should I first ask why do some people feel the need to take the time to type to criticize someone asking a question - if you cant help dont bother? But I dont think my questions was saying that I THINK they should be cheaper, I was asking IF they were cheaper. Thats a big distinction. Just like if you were to inquire of NCL IF the price went down after you made your final payment, not that your saying that your price SHOULD go down after making payment. Howver, among the reasons for them possibly being cheaper would be, if they are babies and have no luggage or boarding pass at all, or also maybe it takes as long to do 1 cabin's paperwork regardless if there is one passenger in there ($16) or a family of four ($64). So I was just asking IF it was priced differently.

Philob - thanks for your response because you are absolutely right, I wasnt thinking about the benefit of getting the boarding passes as well as moving out the luggage so I guess paying for 4 still is a great deal and I will probably take advantage of it.

Thanks.

Actually, I think that a reduced BAGS rate for small children with light luggage is a splendid idea! Since each BAGS fee entitles the passenger to 2 suitcases, chronic overpackering adults (yeah, like me) are, no doubt, tempted to toss in their own 3rd pieces in lieu of their kidlet's 2nd.

All that extra weight adds up with this gawdawful fuel crisis.

Janet (who's just so easily tempted)

Bags program worked great for us in Miami. If you do participate, make sure you check your boarding passes as soon as you get them. My wife's was missing. Instead, we had a boarding pass for another woman with the same first name as my wife's. However, this other woman didn't have my wife's boarding pass. She had a third person's pass. It took the Reception Desk a couple of hours to sort out the mistake. But the point is that they did.

I just did this in Seattle on Sunday. I had my 16 yr old DD and my 26 yr old niece in the cabin with me. My DD and I only had 1 large suitcase each so I was going to put both suitcases under my name as you are allowed 2 checked bags per person. This would have been fine, except we would have still had to get in the check in line to get her boarding pass, so it would have defeated the purpose. SO instead we EACH did it for $16 and I just unfolded my extra large packsack, bought more in the ports and checked TWO bags for myself instead of one:D and then one for my daughter. It was still well worth the $32 for us both.

We breezed off the ship, grabbed a van cab for all 6 of us, no schlepping all the suitcases and when we got to the airport, which was starting to get busy with all the cruise passengers, we didn't have to que up in the Northwest check in line. We went right to security which was not busy yet and were through in minutes. From the ship to our gate was maybe 40 minutes. It takes 25 minutes from the port to the airport so we were very fast. lol

I think it's a great service if you have elderly, or you have more than 1 suitcase per person. If we had all just had one suitcase I might not have done it, but my 66 yr old mom had 2 and my sisters had 2 so they wanted to do it.

The rules were:

1) Your flight must be between 12 noon and 11 pm on the day of debarkation

2) There was a list of airlines, Northwest, Delta, I can't remember but at least 5 or 6 of them on it.

3) It had to be a domestic flight within the 50 states.

4) You could only have 2 bags per person

5) You had to provide them with your flight information, flight #, times, and so on.

We had a connection and this was okay. On Friday night for a Sunday morning debarkation, we got our airline luggage tags to put on, printed with all the info and our names, the correct amt. for the amt. of luggage you specified you wanted to check. I had 2, my DD had 1.

They also had printed boarding passes for both legs of our flight. We just cut them out. It was all very organized and painless. Well worth it. I hope this helped answer some questions.

Oh yah, and our luggage arrived at our final destination no problems.:D

Does anyone know what this means on NCL's BAGS page? I also think I read where a passenger had to pick up their luggage from the retrieval area, take it through customs, then they were able to turn it over to the BAG people to send forth to the airport. Also, does anyone know the earliest flight you are able to do this? Our flight is 11:35 out of SF. We are hoping to turn in our luggage the night before, walk off the ship with our one carryon, take a nice stroll to the BART station, and take BART directly to the airport. It sounds like a great plan however......you never know.

I've only used it on HAL, but they use the same company as NCL. In FLL, it was as you described - had to pick up the luggage in the warehouse, move it about 40 feet to Customs, then it was taken by porters for the baggage company and I saw it again when I got to my destination. In San Diego, the bags were picked up outside my cabin on the last night and I didn't see them again until I got to my destination. I haven't heard of anyone who knows why there is a difference.

It may depend on the port, but I couldn't use the service if my plane departed before 12:30 or 1:00.

The service does have it's limitations, but I'd use it everytime I was eligible for it.:)

Archived