Coffee and Room Service

njen

Maybe already answered somewhere, but if you buy a coffee card and order coffee through room service, do you get the brewed coffee or the syrup coffee?

As Toto said you get the normal Princess coffee from room service. When we order room service coffee we also order a small pitcher of hot milk. It makes it tolerable.

We do not care for the coffee on the Princess ships. We order a pot of hot water in the morning and use "Coffee Singles" from Folger's or Maxwell House to brew our own. Later, we get a brewed or speciality coffee at the coffee bar.

Lobby bar for fresh brewed coffee, the stuff they serve is undrinkable, sometimes I could get it down if it was real hot, but luke warm, forget it. I tried for a couple of days and then had to go to the Lobby bar for fresh brewed. I should have bought a coffee card, I paid $1.25 for a large which is not to bad. Don't know if refills were free as I always took 2 of them back to the cabin first thing in the morning. Remember the last day, the lobby bar is cash only until disembarktion. Buck

"Coffee Singles" from Folger's or Maxwell House to brew our own. Later, we get a brewed or speciality coffee at the coffee bar.

We take those along and carry them in the camera case to the Horizon Court for breakfast. Yep, much better than what we have found served at the HC. ;)

You are not able to order anything from room service except the ships 'syrup' coffee. Sorry!

is this implying that the coffee is really thick and syruplike? :eek: or something else?

we are huge coffee snobs and drink the Latte's at Starbucks and want to know how the coffee is on Princess? TIA

is this implying that the coffee is really thick and syruplike? :eek: or something else?

we are huge coffee snobs and drink the Latte's at Starbucks and want to know how the coffee is on Princess? TIA

Oh No, it is not thick or syruplike. It is just made from a concentrate. For us, we can't get past the smell of it, and even then, just don't like the taste. We have tried it once on each cruise and it is all the same. Maybe you could call us coffee snobs, or just picky about good coffee. But we are much happier with the Folger's Coffee Singles then the regular coffee that is served onboard.

I have to agree the coffe is pretty nasty. It is a matter of taste and what you are used to. I don't care for typical "midwest" coffee, which is what it tasted like...weak...brown water YUK! I am far from a coffee snob, but would take instant over what they were serving. I complained at the front desk about how lousy and weak the coffee was. However, I did try to get a coffee card and they acted like they had no idea wth I was talking about. HMMM... maybe not available on the shortie cruises? Lo and behold by lunch time, it actually was stronger. I am allergic to milk and use ND creamer. I swear, the coffee looked like tea and really tasted like water the first morning. I will STILL bring instant the next time just in case they don't have coffee cards.

I agree the syrup coffee is el yucko! I bought a four cup cuisinart coffee maker on sale at Macy's for $19.99 one year; it has a metal carafe so it stays hot longer, and is less likely to break. It's not very heavy or bulky (I keep it in the original box, with the styrofoam), but the airline luggage restrictions do make it a challenge, one that encourages me to rent formal wear, even though I have both white and traditional black jackets. The real advantage is having real coffee on demand, instead of having to dress to run up to the Patisserie for a morning cuppa.

This is our first cruise and we are so excited. Our daughter is getting married on the ship, so we have quiet a few guests going with us. A lot of us are coffee drinkers and it doesn't sound like we are going to like the "syrup" coffee. Could someone tell me how much does a coffee card cost and how does that work? Are there also soda cards?

Thanks for your help

I have to agree the coffe is pretty nasty. It is a matter of taste and what you are used to. I don't care for typical "midwest" coffee, which is what it tasted like...weak...brown water YUK! I am far from a coffee snob, but would take instant over what they were serving. I complained at the front desk about how lousy and weak the coffee was. However, I did try to get a coffee card and they acted like they had no idea wth I was talking about. HMMM... maybe not available on the shortie cruises? Lo and behold by lunch time, it actually was stronger. I am allergic to milk and use ND creamer. I swear, the coffee looked like tea and really tasted like water the first morning. I will STILL bring instant the next time just in case they don't have coffee cards.

Amen to that ! If I want tea I'll order tea. It's not coffee if it's so weak I can see the bottom of the cup when it's full.

Just to give you a different perspective, DH and I both like the room service coffee...especially if you order real cream, which I don't indulge in at home. We normally drink fresh ground french roast coffee at home. We're not coffee snobs, but do enjoy our morning coffee. As an earlier poster stated, maybe it's just because it's being brought to you it tastes better. Of course, the specialty coffees are the best! You can buy a coffee card from most drink servers. If you get a specialty coffee, they punch the card. However, you can get brewed coffee for free by showing the card. A lot of servers need to be told not to punch the card for brewed coffee, so be assertive.

So for those of us who are new to Princess are you saying we will hate the coffee in the dining room, buffet and room service? We are coffee drinkers not necessarily snobs but we do like our coffee. Can anyone tell me how much is a "coffee card" and where do we go to use it? Can we use through room service? I have to say the coffee on RCCL and NCL was good. I can't believe Princess would serve a bad cup of coffee.

Believe it!!!!

I bring my Cuisinart 2-to-go coffeemaker (no hot plate) but I can't see schlepping it all the way to Europe! I'll just have to suffer and drink less foo-foo drinks and have a cappuchino every morning. I hope I find some fresh brewed coffee on board. Even Celebrity has awful coffee, they used to have one of the best. Everything seems to be changing......I will say RCL surprised me and the coffee on the Voyager was drinkable, not like the Rhapsody a few yrs. ago. Maybe I can sneak the maker in my luggage. I wonder if Holland America still has good coffee?

Ok. We brought with us my very lightweight, (cheap) black and decker autodrip for one, coffee maker with us on the Island Princess a few years ago for Hawaii round trip cruise. I brought a small bag with just enough of my favorite coffee for the trip. Used bottled water. Three fourths of a small bottle of water per cup which worked just fine. I tried the coffee in both dining room and horizon court, and it really was horrible, and I can assure everyone, I am not a coffee snob. (I like McDonald's coffee, and am fine with most coffee in any restaurant, whether it's fast food or not.) Fortunately, my little coffemaker took up little space, and was lightweight, so it saved us. Why Princess uses the absolutely worst grade of coffee is beyond me. We just came back from a NCL carribean trip. Excellent coffee, including, latte's etc. (no extra charge) Well, we are going on the Sapphire Princess for Alaska. I will be bringing my little coffee maker with me, plus purchasing the coffee card for the specialty coffees. It's too bad that room service just brings the disgusting coffee... Anita

I only brew Starbucks at home, but I must be the only one who doesn't bring my own coffee maker or singles, because I really don't mind the coffee in the dining rooms or buffet. Not much different than you get at lot of restaurants around town.

A lot of us are coffee drinkers and it doesn't sound like we are going to like the "syrup" coffee. Could someone tell me how much does a coffee card cost and how does that work? Are there also soda cards?

Thanks for your help

Believe it - it is terrible stuff and I'm not usually fussy my coffee.

On the 10 day Emerald in Feb. the coffee card was $34.95 (or something close to that) - for that price you get a credit card sized coffee card which entitles you to 15 specialty coffees (ie latte's espresso's etc) from the International Cafe and all the brewed coffee you want from the International Cafe. My dh and I shared a card and didn't quite use up the specialty coffees in the 10 days but we sure enjoyed the International Cafe and had many, many cups of decent coffee there. I really don't understand how they can possibly make such horrid coffee elsewhere ... when instant coffee pouches are tastier, that tells you a lot!

Yes there are soda cards so to speak - they put a little CocaCola sticker on your room card. I think that was 29.95 for 10 days .... we had NO problem get diet coke anywhere on the ship and our dining servers refilled them immediately :)

Jaynak

We are not coffee snobs either, drink fresh perked Uban French Roast at home. Do find that the room service coffee tastes different than the HC. When we go to the HC, I add some "hot" water to the coffee, plus low fat milk and then I find it is more drinkable. I think those large coffee makers in the HC are a factor beside the syrup.

Archived