2 year old and jeans

I would rather share a meal with a well behaved child wearing jeans than a screaming toddler in a tuxedo. People who get their panties in a bunch over what a 2 year old wears to dinner worry me.

Have a great cruise!

I second that !!

Ok, I have read all the pages and have to comment. Who said the boy is going to be a non-screamer or a screamer? You are the one who's getting the panties etc

No one said he was/was not a screamer. But its the *behavior* of the child that should matter most, not whether it wears overalls or a 3 piece suit. What would you rather have at your table: a "well dressed" kid that howled and threw things, or a kid in Osh Kosh B'Gosh that ate his meal quietly? That was the point of my comment, for anyone who may have had it go waaay over their head.

But thank you for your concern over my panties, much appreciated.

On our cruise, the kids were dressed appropriately, from age 13 months on up. The table next to us had a baby, a couple toddler/preschoolers and a young school age kid, and they even did matching outfits one night.

We bought my son (a two year old, almost three, on this cruise) a tuxedo because all the other guys were wearing one. But we let him be a kid and wear Converse sneakers. ;) His cousin looked much better than him in her "princess" dress, but she didn't keep her shoes on.

47b8dc00b3127cce985488c00c8a00000027100AYsXLlw5as2MA

The other nights, he wore khakis and a polo shirt.

On all of our cruises with the kids (3 and 1,5 year olds9 we allways dress them up, though we make a point of choosing clothing that looks nice and is comfportable as otherwise there is no way theyll stay still... so far so good we havent had problems but we pick late seating so the little one will fall asleep in his stroller :D (we feed the kids at the windjammer ahead of time :) )

heres a tid bit for the pre dinner photos, might be fun to take pre and post dinner photos of the SAME kid and SAME back ground, makes for GREAT story telling after the cruise :)

I will probably be flamed for this, but I would rather no todlers at my table.

Sorry, but I might be wrong, but I would rather dinner conversation not center on small children. When they are present they are almost always the major topic of conversation and attention.

I don't care that lil Johnny is brilliant and will graduate from Harvard by the time he is 4. I don't care that lil Susie is an accomplished tap dancer and will soon be joining the Rockettes.

I am very happy with adult conversation and with older children who know when to speak and make noises. I enjoy the small ones in the Windjammer and by the pool and other public areas, so I don't hate them, but there are times when they are not welcomed.

I am cruising on IOTS at the end of June , my 2 year will be sailing with us ,will it be a problem if he wears jeans and a nice shirt to dining roooms even on formal nights

Just a reminder of what the original question actually was.

In answer to the actual question: Anyone who can honestly claim that their "dining experience" was ruined by a baby wearing jeans to dinner, has far greater issues than can be appropriately addressed on a message board. So the simple answer is "no", if that is what you chose to do, it will not be a problem.

Babies do look so cute dressed up though! When my boys were that age, I loved putting them in little suits. The pictures were adorable. You might want to consider some of the options suggested by other parents on the board for reasonably priced formal clothes for babies. ( No need to spending a fortune since he'll outgrow it in a month!)

I am sorry that you have basically been called, cheap, poor and lazy. Accused of not teaching your child what is appropriate and how to dress and on and on, simply because you asked a question.

Unluckily for you, nothing brings out the self righteous, holier than thou attitude of probably otherwise nice people faster, than the mention of " jeans" and "children". You brought up both in one post and suffered the consequences.

For whatever reason whenever either are mentioned, people feel compelled to inform us of their high moral character, perfect children and exemplary parentng skills.

I don't know about you, but though I am a genuinely kind person who tries to do the right thing, sometimes I mess up. My children are far from perfect. They are normal children. And I pray daily for guidance in parenting since I acknowledge how difficult and important a job it is.

As far as all of the comments about screaming two year olds, all of us who have had two year olds, know they sometimes misbehave. Thus the statement, " You are acting like a two year old." It happens occasionally. They are toddlers, not adults in full control of their emotions yet. It is a process. I am more disturbed by an older child, a teenager, or an adult behaving badly. They should have gotten it by now.

Anyway, whatever you decide to dress your baby in, I hope you have a safe and wonderful holiday!

Ha! The OP shouldn't worry. People will be so annoyed that there is a 2 year old in the dining room, or even on the ship for that matter, for them to even notice what he is wearing!:D :D

You give new meaning the word "a$$".

Let your toddler wear jeans for crying out loud. And bring him proudly to the dining room.

I am sorry that you have basically been called, cheap, poor and lazy. Accused of not teaching your child what is appropriate and how to dress and on and on, simply because you asked a question.

I must have missed the cheap, poor and lazy calling on this thread but anyway don´t be too worried about op as s/he has stated numerous times on another thread that s/he doesn´t have a 2yo anyway.;)

... and i dont have a 2 year old, our 9 year old daughter ...

As I said on my op only asking, dont have a 2 year old, ...

I think what most posters were trying to communicate is - if it is a special evening and you are making the extra effort to look nice, why not make the effort as far as the small one goes?

They are 2 so they are not worth dressing up? I don't think anyone expects to see tuxedoes and ball gowns on formal night (especially in the Caribbean) but you know when packing that there is a dressier night. So you might want to pack something a little nicer for the toddler also.

And besides - if it is a Caribbean or Bahams sailing - it gets awfully hot during the summer. You're not going to see me in anything as heavy as jeans.

I am cruising on IOTS at the end of June , my 2 year will be sailing with us ,will it be a problem if he wears jeans and a nice shirt to dining roooms even on formal nights

Even though it's been brought to everyones attention that the two year old is actually your nephew...why wouldn't you just get a cute outfit for formal night? You COULD be lazy and just slap some jeans on him but after spending all the money to go on a nice cruise, why wouldn't you play along with everyone else and make him look nice? Take pride in the kid, for crying out loud! Outfits for little kids are so inexpensive.

After reading your other posts/threads it's clear that you are just trying to get around the rules in every aspect "do they REALLY enforce babies in the pool?" "can my kid wear jeans?" if you're so against the rules pertaining to cruises (that have been around for a while) than I have to ask why you are even taking a two year old on a cruise?

Laura

Why is it in some posts you say you do not have a 2 year old and in others you say you do?????

It also seems that all the questions you ask are meant to insue an argument. Otherwise you would not have to start out a post by saying, "Don't shout". I would think a little more carefully about the posts you are posting. If it's just to start something, take it somewhere else.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=776188

To the OP - will it be OK. Yes. Would he be MUCH cuter and fit in a little better in a dressier outfit. Yes. I agree with the other comments that behavior is much more important than clothing.

I will probably be flamed for this, but I would rather no todlers at my table.

Sorry, but I might be wrong, but I would rather dinner conversation not center on small children. When they are present they are almost always the major topic of conversation and attention.

I don't care that lil Johnny is brilliant and will graduate from Harvard by the time he is 4. I don't care that lil Susie is an accomplished tap dancer and will soon be joining the Rockettes.

I am very happy with adult conversation and with older children who know when to speak and make noises. I enjoy the small ones in the Windjammer and by the pool and other public areas, so I don't hate them, but there are times when they are not welcomed.

Well, I certainly hope you are not ever on a cruise with us. I certainly will not switch tables because someone thinks my WELL BEHAVED 3 year old should not be at the table. :mad: The conversation does NOT center around him and he is already learning that when grown ups are talking to not interrupt. Yes, if there are other young children there, talk MAY gravitate to childhood/parenting related topics but that doesn't mean everyone is talking to him about his favorite cartoon or whatever.

Personally, I don't like it when people make a big fuss over him. The more attention he gets, the more crazy he starts to act. But he's been going to high end restaurants since he was 5 days old and we have NEVER had a problem. Not even when it took over 2 hours for our Valentine's day dinner at The Palm (over 1 1/2 hour for the meal in addition to the 1/2 hour wait {with reservations}) this past Feb.

We've been pleased with our table mates so far in the dining room. When just DS and me we have been with similar aged adults. When teen niece was with us - the couple at our table had a similar aged daughter. I think RCI goes out of their way to match up the diners. Don't know if it is luck of the draw or an actual effort on their part.

As you notice, I did not complain about small ones in the dining room. From my experience - the loud obnoxious folks have mostly been adults, fortunately none at our table, just too close for comfort.

And the problem is not normally the small ones - although asking a 2 year old to sit quietly through a 2 hour meal is expecting a lot at that age (and I made a point of taking my now 15 year old niece to good quality restaurants when she was quite young so she knows how to act now) - but the table conversation tends to gravitate towards children and child rearing.

You give new meaning the word "a$$".

Let your toddler wear jeans for crying out loud. And bring him proudly to the dining room.

Actually, if you can't tell from the smiles that it was a joke and an off handed reference to the countless threads around here about kids on ships then I would say that YOU give new meaning to the word that you put in quotes.;) :rolleyes:

Even though it's been brought to everyones attention that the two year old is actually your nephew...why wouldn't you just get a cute outfit for formal night? You COULD be lazy and just slap some jeans on him but after spending all the money to go on a nice cruise, why wouldn't you play along with everyone else and make him look nice? Take pride in the kid, for crying out loud! Outfits for little kids are so inexpensive.

After reading your other posts/threads it's clear that you are just trying to get around the rules in every aspect "do they REALLY enforce babies in the pool?" "can my kid wear jeans?" if you're so against the rules pertaining to cruises (that have been around for a while) than I have to ask why you are even taking a two year old on a cruise?

Laura

HOW CAN I BREAK A RULE BY LETTING MY 9 OLD DAUGHTER SWIM IN A POOL, I DO WORRY ABOUT THE HUMAN RACE SOME TIMES

Personally, I don't like it when people make a big fuss over him. The more attention he gets, the more crazy he starts to act.

Our biggest problem was the table behind the kids thought they were cute, and told the kids so, so the entire time both of them were twisting around to flirt with the other table. Compliment my son and he will turn his eyes on you. :D He likes to be adored.

We noticed that the (very) few kids that were on our ship were seated near us, and each family at a single table. (Though, we were a group of nine, so there wasn't room for anyone else, really.) I wouldn't be offended if a tablemate asked to be moved - but I wouldn't offer to move myself.

HOW CAN I BREAK A RULE BY LETTING MY 9 OLD DAUGHTER SWIM IN A POOL, I DO WORRY ABOUT THE HUMAN RACE SOME TIMES

Yeh I definitely didn't say anything about your 9 year old swimming in the pool. I'm referring to the thread that you started inquiring about how strict they were enforcing the rules on babies in the pool because your two year old nephew will be on the IOTS and want to go in. It's not that confusing, although YOU like to make things confusing....such as by stating in one thread (that you started) that you have a two year old son, and in the OTHER one stating that you don't have a two year old son, you have a two year old nephew. You know....this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=776188 So which is it?

The pics in this thread of the kids all dressed up are too cute. lol

I look forward to formal night. These days there just aren't any place where you can go and dress to the 9's and not feel overdressed. If I was bringing a small child with me I'd definitely buy her/him a cute, dressy outfit to wear instead of jeans. JMHO

Yeh I definitely didn't say anything about your 9 year old swimming in the pool. I'm referring to the thread that you started inquiring about how strict they were enforcing the rules on babies in the pool because your two year old nephew will be on the IOTS and want to go in. It's not that confusing, although YOU like to make things confusing....such as by stating in one thread (that you started) that you have a two year old son, and in the OTHER one stating that you don't have a two year old son, you have a two year old nephew. You know....this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=776188 So which is it?

I posted the same thing about 3 posts up. I think this person is what as known as a troll, just here to cause trouble. Nothing they say makes sense and every post is one that will cause people to get all up in arms.

I posted the same thing about 3 posts up. I think this person is what as known as a troll, just here to cause trouble. Nothing they say makes sense and every post is one that will cause people to get all up in arms.

multiple personality disorder?:rolleyes:

Archived