medical accidents on ncl ships

SurftheWave

There is a doctor on board. Broken bones and rashes should be something that doctor is capable of addressing in the clinic.

and it happens all of the time. Unfortunately, when you get a few thousand people together accidents, heart attacks, illness, etc will happen.

In February, I got very sick on our NCL cruise. The doctor on board was excellent. He had the equipment and meds I needed. He saw me for a follow up visit at no charge. My travel insurance paid the rest, except for my $50 deductible.

On our last cruise thru' the Panama Canal in April/May, there was a broken arm, a broken leg and the last morning of the cruise I saw a man trip and fall on his shoulder, on a piece of frayed carpet while getting up to go to the buffet. The ship's Dr. came and took him away. Not sure what happened with his shoulder, but later, the frayed seam was repaired with masking tape.

I once had a bit much to drink and my arm fell off. The Doc sewed it back on and I was fine but I had to drink with the other arm for a while.

Modern medical miracles are wonderful and NCL Doc's are the best.

Make sure you get travel insurance unless you have a little brief case on the top of your BC BS card. This little symbol means they will pay for work in other countries but you have to save the the receipts. I kid you not!!:cool:

My husband passed a kidney stone on an NCL cruise, he was kept on IV fluids, morphine, stayed in the ship "hospital" and had a personal 12 hour overnight nurse who "watched" for the stone. His care exceeded excellent, and I was VERY impressed (I am a pediatric ICU nurse). The most interesting part is that we dreaded the bill, but were completely surprised when his whole overnight stay with everything cost less than $400.:eek: :D :D :D

What a painful experience for a cruise! I am glad the service was good, the bill was small, and hubby was OK.

And no, the herbal remedys must be self-administered. Just go up to the funnel deck about 2 am and sniff around.:D

I once had a bit much to drink and my arm fell off. The Doc sewed it back on and I was fine but I had to drink with the other arm for a while. ...!!:cool:

Stop it! Stop It!

I am spewing wine all over the keyboard. Not that I drink mind you!

This was way too funny, and way too the point!

My husband passed a kidney stone on an NCL cruise, he was kept on IV fluids, morphine, stayed in the ship "hospital" and had a personal 12 hour overnight nurse who "watched" for the stone. :eek: :D :D :D

Passing a stone is worse than child birth (so they say). My Son in Law had a rough time passing his stone....you know the little screen thing that catches it. Ohhhhhh it hurts just thinking about it. :eek:

I'm glad your husband got top care on NCL.

Nick

My husband passed a kidney stone on an NCL cruise, he was kept on IV fluids, morphine, stayed in the ship "hospital" and had a personal 12 hour overnight nurse who "watched" for the stone.

ok...so i'm here with the image of a nurse just standing there with a cup waiting for the stone....like someone looking down the tracks for their train.

ok...so i'm here with the image of a nurse just standing there with a cup waiting for the stone....like someone looking down the tracks for their train.

Push honey I can see the the stone now....It's...it's a little piece of pea gravel.

Good thing it was not Nick standing there. It would probably wind up in his wine glass!

Good thing it was not Nick standing there. It would probably wind up in his wine glass!

I've always wondered how to keep people from drinking out of my wine glass...now I know.

Also many people on NCL ships do not know where the medical officer is on the ship. It is good to find out as soon as you board.

Nick

Passing a stone is worse than child birth (so they say).

Nick

Okay now, let's get serious.;) I may be jumping out on a ledge here but I'm thinking you've never given birth...it is Nick, isn't it?:rolleyes: I would put a 9 lb. baby up against any pea-sized stone for the pain factor. Of course, we all know that the male anatomy is much more sensitive; but, come on!

Sorry, I don't mean any ill feelings. As a mother of 2, I just couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one.:D

Diane

So i wanted to know if any medical accidents ever happened while you were on ncl. Such as broken bones to passengers, rashes, etc. And what they did about it. just curious.

My 10 year old fell down the stairs on the way to first day muster drill.. She was taken by wheelchair to the infirmary by staff and seen immediately by the ship doctor. He checked her ankle and gave her a brace and a pair of crutches. We had to fill out a short accident report form.

Three days later (her ankle was better and the crutches had been returned) she ran her hand across one of the couches in the lounge during a craft class and got stuck with a shard of glass. Again back to the infirmary. First to see the Doctor. He removed the glass and bandaged her hand. Another accident report form.

We didn't get billed for either visit, both accidents.

Okay now, let's get serious.;) I may be jumping out on a ledge here but I'm thinking you've never given birth...it is Nick, isn't it?:rolleyes: I would put a 9 lb. baby up against any pea-sized stone for the pain factor. Of course, we all know that the male anatomy is much more sensitive; but, come on!

Sorry, I don't mean any ill feelings. As a mother of 2, I just couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one.:D

Diane

Kidney stones are surprisingly painful and is the closest thing to child birth that a male can experience.

Its all about scale. Shrink the birthing canal to the size of the urethra and the 9lb baby to that 'pea-sized' stone that is actually very rough and jagged on a microscopic level.

Yup its gonna hurt ALOT.

I've always wondered how to keep people from drinking out of my wine glass...now I know.

Also many people on NCL ships do not know where the medical officer is on the ship. It is good to find out as soon as you board.

Nick

OH DON'T YOU WORRY...

June 15, 2008 - Norwegian Dawn - NYC to Bermuda - Deck 4....

...if i didn't know better, i'd say our cabin WAS the infirmary. sheesh...we are waaaaaaay down there.

... Also many people on NCL ships do not know where the medical officer is on the ship. It is good to find out as soon as you board. Nick

On most ships it seems to be down on Deck 4 - often near the gangway.

I think they put it down there so you can just roll down the stairs to get there.

Diane

No ill feeling taken but remember women get a cold but men get MAN FLU:p

Archived