Rhapsody of the Seas - May 23, 2008 Beginning of the Alaskan Season

Well, it's been a rough day so far but SOMEBODY had to test out the spa to make sure she was in appropriate shape - I started off with another facial, then a seaweed massage, then had my hair done - and I'm off for another pedicure in a while.

Derek Lewis yes we went to adult daycare and I am officially a Superstar. For the person that asked he will be on the ship all summer.

We are in the inside passage today - it is absolutely gorgeous, but I haven't taken too many pictures as I've been too limp from the spa.

The Captain's talk was very funny.

Ahh some comments from the Platinum and Diamond party last night (before I headed off to the Captain's table), very nice with hot & cold hordurves. The Captain said a few words, including the fact that the life boat for the Oasis of the Seas will be the Song of Norway and hold 750 people.

Captain's table was so much fun. We were joined by the couple with the most cruises on our sailing and she is absolutely a hoot. Her husband and the Captain were the only men at the table - they were having a good time of it.

Guest relations today - long lines at guest relations and since I've been having a lot of fun I had to stand in line to put another card on my account. There was an "experienced" cruiser telling other people in line that we'll all be off the ship by 9am.:rolleyes: I couldn't bite my tongue and had to correct her. One half of the most sailings couple was in front of me and was agreeing with me.

Met permanentlyengaged fron these boards at lunch. We were talking and all of a sudden she goes, are you Wrona? We went to trivia together and our team won - an over the shoulder RCCL lunch cooler.

Well, it's been a rough day so far but SOMEBODY had to test out the spa to make sure she was in appropriate shape - I started off with another facial, then a seaweed massage, then had my hair done - and I'm off for another pedicure in a while.

Derek Lewis yes we went to adult daycare and I am officially a Superstar. For the person that asked he will be on the ship all summer.

We are in the inside passage today - it is absolutely gorgeous, but I haven't taken too many pictures as I've been too limp from the spa.

The Captain's talk was very funny.

Ahh some comments from the Platinum and Diamond party last night (before I headed off to the Captain's table), very nice with hot & cold hordurves. The Captain said a few words, including the fact that the life boat for the Oasis of the Seas will be the Song of Norway and hold 750 people.

that would have been me that asked about Derek--thanks so much for finding out for me. So does he still have the I SURVIVED t-shirts? I love mine & will for sure bring it. so does he still give the del sol rings worth faaaaaaaar less than 1 thousand dollars????

I guy named Derek Lewis entertains every night and one day on deck. His show is called Kamakazi Kareoke, the bar is usually FULL. He calls it Adult Day Care At Night.

He is great!!!!!!!!!!

good description. you just have to experoience it. don't thinnk just anyone could pull it off, but Derek is wonderful. go early in your trip so you can enjoy him the whole trip. the first time we saw him, it was late in the cruise.

Yes, he still gives the Del Sol rings worth far less than one THOUSAND dollars.

Well we think we might have finally sorted out all the billing mess. Somehow all of my mother's charges ended up on my bill BUT they billed all of my charges to my mom's credit card. Wolfcathorses charges got billed to me...etc, etc, etc. So please use this as a reminder to constantly check your seapass account, it took us 2 days to get everything straightened out and we finally just exchanged cash instead of going down to guest relations one last time.

I too, am currently on the Rhap. There are about 6 Blackjack tables and 2 roulette tables. Minimums are $5.00 although the other day, at sea they had $3.00 Blackjack and $1.00 roulette. This lasted about 4 hours.

Actually from 12 -4 the roulette is .50!!!

The Captain said a few words, including the fact that the life boat for the Oasis of the Seas will be the Song of Norway and hold 750 people.

LMAO! Thanks again for all of the updates, can't wait to see more pictures!

Yes, he still gives the Del Sol rings worth far less than one THOUSAND dollars.

Well we think we might have finally sorted out all the billing mess. Somehow all of my mother's charges ended up on my bill BUT they billed all of my charges to my mom's credit card. Wolfcathorses charges got billed to me...etc, etc, etc. So please use this as a reminder to constantly check your seapass account, it took us 2 days to get everything straightened out and we finally just exchanged cash instead of going down to guest relations one last time.

UGH :mad: What a mess!!!

Hope you have a safe trip home :)

###

Is there smoking at the Derek Lewis entertainment? I hope not, because it sounds like I'd enjoy it. I am very allergic to cigarette smoke.

the last time I was on rhapsody, in April, you could smoke at the bar and the furtherest place away from Derek in the Schooner Bar. He does not like smoke and if someone gets near him with a cigarette, he quickly & politely tells them to go to where the ashtrays are. It just depends on how many at the bar are smoking. we usually would sit front and center of Derek and couldn't smell the smoke. I hope you will be able to go and it not bother you. Course this was pre new smoking policy, so I am not sure.

Pictures!!!! We want PICTURES!!!!! ;)

However, on NEXT year's Alaska cruise, there will be NO pictures.

At least no pictures that aren't of the awesome scenery....

What happens on the ship stays on the ship, y'know!! ;) :p

Ooh, check out the ticker! "Only" 365 days till the Alaska cruise!!

the last time I was on rhapsody, in April, you could smoke at the bar and the furtherest place away from Derek in the Schooner Bar. He does not like smoke and if someone gets near him with a cigarette, he quickly & politely tells them to go to where the ashtrays are.

Thanks! Now I am SURE that I will like Derek!

Live from the Sheraton Seattle!!:( I'm currently pouting because they made me get off the ship this morning (look for my claw marks).:mad:

Disembarkment, we were alongside by around 6ish (beat HAL Amsterdam) but the first people didn't leave the ship until around 7:45-8ish. The first to leave the ship were the express group (you had to sign up in advance and get a pass as there were limited spaces). We were in the next group - Red - which was for Suites (GS and higher), Platinum, and Diamonds. Our group was called around 8:15am (supposed to have been 7:40am). We immediately walked out of the Platinum/Diamond lounge (dining room deck 5) out onto the promenade deck and off the ship. Immigration consisted of walking past the ICE agent with our passport in our hands. We then grabbed our luggage and a porter, handed off our customs form, and went out and grabbed our taxi (part of our group took a van shuttle to the airport). We were at out hotel by 8:30. The group that went to the airport was checked in and through security by 9am.

Things to think about with disembarkment, there were tons of taxis when we got off the ship (no wait). Start of disembarkment was delayed by about 30 minutes. We were off extremely quickly - but the HAL ship hadn't started disembarkment yet and when you get to the bottom of the gangplank the lines combine for immigration - then split back up again so watch the signs.

Do not get off the ship except when your color is called. They only had our luggage ready when we got off the ship - and they had barracades around it until we arrived. If you attempt to get off with an earlier group than you were assigned, your luggage won't be ready for you.

I have the disembarkment schedule in front of me and if things go as planned, the last group is scheduled for 9:45am. Our group was supposed to be called at 7:40 but wasn't called until 8:15am.

Laughs from the Platinum/Diamond Lounge this am. It was held in the dining room (very easy for disembarkment). When we got there we headed for a table of 8 because there are 8 of us, and happened to sit at our dinner table. About 30 minutes after we got there a lady came up and got mad at as because we'd taken "her" table but she "guessed it was okay." We had to explain to her it had been "our" table as well at second seating (not that it mattered as there are no assigned places in the lounge, it was just a place to sit).

Last night at dinner we played our final tricks on our waitstaff. After we ordered and they all walked off, we took all our silverware off the table and replaced it with plasticware. They loved it - I think I even have a picture of our headwaiter doubled over in laughter. If you are on Rhapsody this summer I hope you get Yasa (headwaiter), Pedro (waiter), and Yun (assistant waiter). They are fabulous. Oh, and I do have all the details on the new menus.

Well need to go back out and spend some more money in Seattle - I already have found out that Nordstrom's ships!!

Thanks for all the great posts Wrona (and Wolf too!). I'm glad to hear the first CCFC cruise was a great success.

Have a safe trip home!

Yes, extremely successful. This morning I was out on the balcony watching them get the lines all hooked up. The Captain was out on the bridge wings and we had a nice discussion. He even mentioned seeing me in the cruise in review video.:p

Live from the Sheraton Seattle!!:( I'm currently pouting because they made me get off the ship this morning (look for my claw marks).:mad:

Disembarkment, we were alongside by around 6ish (beat HAL Amsterdam) but the first people didn't leave the ship until around 7:45-8ish. The first to leave the ship were the express group (you had to sign up in advance and get a pass as there were limited spaces). We were in the next group - Red - which was for Suites (GS and higher), Platinum, and Diamonds. Our group was called around 8:15am (supposed to have been 7:40am). We immediately walked out of the Platinum/Diamond lounge (dining room deck 5) out onto the promenade deck and off the ship. Immigration consisted of walking past the ICE agent with our passport in our hands. We then grabbed our luggage and a porter, handed off our customs form, and went out and grabbed our taxi (part of our group took a van shuttle to the airport). We were at out hotel by 8:30. The group that went to the airport was checked in and through security by 9am.

Things to think about with disembarkment, there were tons of taxis when we got off the ship (no wait). Start of disembarkment was delayed by about 30 minutes. We were off extremely quickly - but the HAL ship hadn't started disembarkment yet and when you get to the bottom of the gangplank the lines combine for immigration - then split back up again so watch the signs.

Do not get off the ship except when your color is called. They only had our luggage ready when we got off the ship - and they had barracades around it until we arrived. If you attempt to get off with an earlier group than you were assigned, your luggage won't be ready for you.

I have the disembarkment schedule in front of me and if things go as planned, the last group is scheduled for 9:45am. Our group was supposed to be called at 7:40 but wasn't called until 8:15am.

Laughs from the Platinum/Diamond Lounge this am. It was held in the dining room (very easy for disembarkment). When we got there we headed for a table of 8 because there are 8 of us, and happened to sit at our dinner table. About 30 minutes after we got there a lady came up and got mad at as because we'd taken "her" table but she "guessed it was okay." We had to explain to her it had been "our" table as well at second seating (not that it mattered as there are no assigned places in the lounge, it was just a place to sit).

Last night at dinner we played our final tricks on our waitstaff. After we ordered and they all walked off, we took all our silverware off the table and replaced it with plasticware. They loved it - I think I even have a picture of our headwaiter doubled over in laughter. If you are on Rhapsody this summer I hope you get Yasa (headwaiter), Pedro (waiter), and Yun (assistant waiter). They are fabulous. Oh, and I do have all the details on the new menus.

Well need to go back out and spend some more money in Seattle - I already have found out that Nordstrom's ships!!

great report Wrona, thanks for posting. I wondered how disembarkment would be. We have an 11 flight so we should be ok since we will be able to be in the P/D lounge. don't think we will express check, no reason to. glad to see a ship limiting that--it has been a problem on some I have been on--so many doing it that it has delayed things.

great gag on your table folks. we hid the "extra" stuff once & when the asst came to "steal" our silver, there wasn't any. I love it when we have folks we can tease with.

have a safe trip home & thanks again for posting. I can't wait to get back on the Rhapsody and see what other crew are still on there.

Thanks for posting a great review, DH and I were already discussing an Alaskan cruise for next year your wonderful review just sealed the deal for us, now we just need to decide on the ship. Our TA emailed us last week with a great deal on a group cruise to Alaska the only glitch is that its not on RCI its on Princess.

Wrona,

We are also staying at the Sheraton post-cruise. What time did you get to the hotel? Did you have to store your luggage until your room was ready? When did you get into the room?

Thanks for all the info you have given us.

Archived