Rhapsody of the Seas - May 23, 2008 Beginning of the Alaskan Season

Well the rough seas never appeared - today was perfect cruising weather. Sunny skies and fairly calm seas although a bit windy. Temp was cool but didn't keep me from the top deck.

Scanning luggage - we had to stand in line to hand over our luggage to be scanned - as soon as they took it we were free to head to check in.

Today has been a "rough" day of pedicure, breakfast in the dining room (where I filled in a few newbys), nap, lunch in the dining room, hot tub, then wine tasting and then this evening.

To those that are worried, Rhapsody has lived up to its title of Friendliest Ship at Seas. The crew is absolutely wonderful - I haven't had a request that hasn't been met quickly and with a smile. And you know attitude of the crew flows down from the Captain, Bjorn Johansen, who is great!! His announcements are friendly, funny, and understandable.

After the wine tasting we headed back to the room for a nap but we're greeted by a cheese plate (suite perk), canapes plate (diamond perk) and dessert plate (diamond perK) plus a bottle of champagne (suite perk - bottle of wine) so were "forced" to enjoy that with the beautiful view passing our balcony.

Tonight is formal night (other night is 6th night). Captain's Reception in Shall We Dance Lounge - started with pictures of our group with the Captain, he is very friendly and personable - and the attitude shows in the crew. The crew all were funny during the introductions, even the Engineer talking about being responsible for the vibration (very noticable from the Centrum to the back of the ship).

We played a trick on our waiter and assistant waiter tonight and they rolled with it and had fun. Also, at 10:30 this evening (during dessert) we got a great picture of a Princess ship in the setting sun.

Gotta go now as I have been drinking since 3:30 this afternoon and the hot tub is calling!!

Oh, and let me just say they DO read cruise critic!!!

Two things - live music is alive and well on Rhapsody and food is FABULOUS. Probably the best in a few cruises. Standout entrees from tonight were the duck, trout, and cod.

Woke up about 3:30 am about the time we entered the channel. The scenery from both sides is fantastic. We've been watching whales, birds, otters, etc from both sides.

The skies are perfectly clear, and the seas are calm. There is a bit of a wind but what do you expect when you are on a moving ship?:D

Had breakfast in the dining room with what seemed like half the ship. The views were still beautiful and worth watching. The waiter at breakfast was one that was on the Jewel of the Seas last year. He looked familiar so I asked.

We are following a HAL ship into Juneau and I have been getting pictures of Juneau in the distance with the HAL ship in between.

I think my mother has been converted to cruising - she is absolutely loving it!!! No seasickness this time.

I'm being curious and reading posts! And stuck here working overtime for co-workers for Memorial Day!

I just hope you are having an even better time than we did on Majesty. Every person I speak with where cruising is mentioned, asks me if I have done Alaska.

I always shake my head in sorrow. Too expensive for me so far, but I'm hoping, I tell them.

Are you e-mailing photos this time? If so, I want a copy!

Love & Hugs

Thanks, Wrona, for keeping us updated. I've got a question about seeing the whales and otters. Were you able to see them from your balcony? Did you need to use binoculars? Were you only able to see them in the middle of the night? (3:30am is middle of night to me!) I guess that's more than one question! It's just that I know my granddaughter would love to see whales and otters, but my daughter is worried we would get seasick on one of the whale watching excursions because they are smaller boats (even using dramanine we sometimes get sick.) Continue having a great time!:)

Joyce

Thanks' date=' Wrona, for keeping us updated. I've got a question about seeing the whales and otters. Were you able to see them from your balcony? Did you need to use binoculars? Were you only able to see them in the middle of the night? (3:30am is middle of night to me!) I guess that's more than one question! It's just that I know my granddaughter would love to see whales and otters, but my daughter is worried we would get seasick on one of the whale watching excursions because they are smaller boats (even using dramanine we sometimes get sick.) Continue having a great time!:)

Joyce[/quote']

not sure about wrona's experience, but we were able to see them from our balcony on serenade.....and from anyplace on deck,....we saw so many, we decided NOT to go on a whale watching tour. we sailed in september 06....the captain kept saying "cowabunga, whales port side...." etc!

I am absolutely fasinated and look forward to reading your posts everyday. We are sailing on the Rhapsodody May 30th so you will be getting off as we get on. Thanks for the continuing updates.

You may have to start a daily thread to keep up with all these post though.

Party on..............

not sure about wrona's experience, but we were able to see them from our balcony on serenade.....and from anyplace on deck,....we saw so many, we decided NOT to go on a whale watching tour. we sailed in september 06....the captain kept saying "cowabunga, whales port side...." etc!

Meg, Thanks for the info. I am so excited. June 27 can't get here fast enough:)!!!

Wrona - I called my husband over to the computer to view the photos you took of us arriving in Seattle - yup, you might not see me, but I was out on the balcony taking photos of Seattle as we arrived in Seattle.

MellowMel - Anthony was super!

An FYI - Captain Bjorn just boarded the Rhapsody in Seward (so our 17-day cruise had two captains).

Captain Stein Roger Bjorheim had the dubious pleasure of getting us from Shanghai and around Korea and Japan while the level 5 "super typhoon" was churning off our starboard side. Deck 10 sustained some damage to an outside railing and minor other damage occured from the high winds and seas - the one kaboom around 10:15PM one night had me listening for the emergency bells -- but I'm not sure anything would have gotten me into a life board in those heaving seas!

I definitely concur with the friendly staff - of course, about 200 staff members had been on board since departing Galveston and were looking forward to returning home - which seemed to lead to some high spirits. Think the Rhapsody was a cut above some of the other RCCL ships and I thought those were super nice cruises.

Not sure that Alaska weather will be as nice thoughout the summer as our trip was; we had 66 degrees and sunny skies while cruising Hubbard Glacier - some folks spent their time sunbathing by the pool. Oh yes, the rock wall was closed due to snow while cruising the Aleutians.

For anyone booked on the Rhapsody - you will enjoy yourselves as she is a great ship.

Thanks' date=' Wrona, for keeping us updated. I've got a question about seeing the whales and otters. Were you able to see them from your balcony? Did you need to use binoculars? Were you only able to see them in the middle of the night? (3:30am is middle of night to me!) I guess that's more than one question! It's just that I know my granddaughter would love to see whales and otters, but my daughter is worried we would get seasick on one of the whale watching excursions because they are smaller boats (even using dramanine we sometimes get sick.) Continue having a great time!:)

Joyce[/quote']

I have been on two inner passage cruises to Alaska...one in mid summer and one right after Labor Day in Sept. Both times we were disappointed in the lack of seeing wildlife. We took a whale watching trip in Juneau in July and saw one whale, some seals, otters and eagles. The best whale watching we had was in Victoria and we took an Orca whale watching trip. That was the best with lots of whales. So, I think it is by chance whether you are going to see anything from the ship while traveling. The scenery is fabulous and really worth seeing, even if you do not see much wildlife. I was expecting to see moose, bears, whales, etc. all over, but I think you have to take a land trip to the inner parks to really see all of that.

I am absolutely fasinated and look forward to reading your posts everyday. We are sailing on the Rhapsodody May 30th so you will be getting off as we get on. Thanks for the continuing updates.

You may have to start a daily thread to keep up with all these post though.

Party on..............

Hi cmyers...come say hello to us over on our cruises message boards. There are a few that have joined us in the last few days. Are you signed up for Meet and Mingle? If not, I think you can still do so. We're almost there! Here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=540185&page=18

I have been on two inner passage cruises to Alaska...one in mid summer and one right after Labor Day in Sept. Both times we were disappointed in the lack of seeing wildlife. We took a whale watching trip in Juneau in July and saw one whale, some seals, otters and eagles. The best whale watching we had was in Victoria and we took an Orca whale watching trip. That was the best with lots of whales. So, I think it is by chance whether you are going to see anything from the ship while traveling. The scenery is fabulous and really worth seeing, even if you do not see much wildlife. I was expecting to see moose, bears, whales, etc. all over, but I think you have to take a land trip to the inner parks to really see all of that.

Thanks for the info. I would have gone expecting to see a lot of whales & otters, and I would have been disappointed. Now I know if we're lucky we'll get to see them, but not to expect it. No matter what, I'm just excited to go to Alaska.

I saw where the damage is from the typhoon. It's the top rail of the windbreak starboard forward on deck 10. They have a temporary lumber trim up there holding the glass in place. We did Capt Larry's today and saw mostly orcas. Wrona will post her pics. Had an orca breach and lob. Saw a humpback lob its tail also and lunge feed close to the boat. It was great. Today was clear skies and 70 in Juneau. Went up the Mt Roberts Tramway and got great pics. We were docked at the AJ Dock so had to pay $3 for the shuttle to the shopping area. We were late arriving in port due to the traffic coming in, we were behind the Amsterdam and Millinium. But Capt Larry waited for us. When I got back to the ship, the very generous, gregarious, handsome, 7 Dwarf (Bashful) look alike captain Bjorn had us all receive the stuff Wrona got in the OS. We got a cheese plate, choc covered strawberries plate, cracker plate and last night he gave us all a bottle of wine. We were'nt expecting anything from him, we just wanted to let him know how much he was appreciated for his work with the crew. They are all so wonderful. Last night the Head waiter personally dug in the freezer for my orange sherbet so I could have it with choc. syrup. Then he brought me 2 scoops, 1 with a stick in it saying medium well, and another with a stick in it saying well done. Our wait staff is a hoot. I'm going to hate to leave!

We saw animals from the deck all the way into Juneau - no binoculars needed.

Weather wise we have hit the jackpot. It was in the 70s with perfectly clear, blue, blue skies - and that is the forecast for all of the northern part of Southeast Alaska through Sunday!!

Juneau was a fabulous town. The dock Rhapsody uses is NOT. We were the last to arrive and arrived late because we had to slow down due to the low, low, low tide and the ships in front of us, then they took forever to clear us. The gangway was extremely steep (due to the low tide). We are at the dock farthest from town which requires a long walk or a shuttle bus ride ($3 for all day). Luckily I had Orca Enterprises (Captain Larry) number so I could call them and let them know we were on our way.

Captain Larry's Whale Watch (Orca Enterprises) lives up to its reputation on these boards. Ours was absolutely fabulous, we saw orcas, and humpbacks and sea otters and sea lions, and birds, etc. The boat was very stable too. There were less than 20 of us on the boat so everyone had great views. They were friendly, personable, knowledgable, and they made sure all of us got to see everything.

Afterwards we headed back to town and shopped a little. For shopping in Juneau, you want to head past the Red Dog Saloon to get to the locally owned shops - look for signs that say locally owned and operated. If it doesn't say locally owned, then it is there solely for the tourists, and many are cruiseline owned. Also stopped to make a donation at the Glory Hole, the soup kitchen there in Juneau - Juneau is currently having power issues (due to loss of the main transmission line, their power bills have more than quadrupled) so it has put a strain on the local economy.

We then caught a shuttle to Mendenhall ($7 roundtrip). Mendenhall was beautiful, but it was especially fun to have my mother going there's the apartment where we lived, there's the church we attended, there's the hospital where your brother was born, etc, etc, etc all along the way. We should've gone to Mendenhall before we shopped because the last shuttle back was at 5pm so we only got 30 minutes there. With the sun out the glacier was a gorgeous blue white.

We then headed back to town again (there's only one road - you can only go 45 miles from end to end). Best friend headed off to shop while Mom and I tackled the Mt. Roberts Tram (again due to the gorgeous weather this was the day to do it). Now some of you are aware that I am extremely afraid of heights but I still put myself out there. By facing the mountainside I was able to avert the brewing panic attack, and the views once I got up there were worth it. We could look down into the swimming pool of the ship. The restaurant up there also serves wonderful halibut and chips, seafood chowder, and wolfcathorse informs me they also serve a wonderful crab louis.

Afterwards we got the shuttle back to the ship. I am now getting ready to go watch sailaway and head to dinner.

Is Derek Lewis, the Karoke Host (Schooner Bar) still on board?

We can't wait to be on board in September!! Woo Hoo!! :p

wondered the same thing myself.

Wrona - I called my husband over to the computer to view the photos you took of us arriving in Seattle - yup, you might not see me, but I was out on the balcony taking photos of Seattle as we arrived in Seattle.

MellowMel - Anthony was super!

An FYI - Captain Bjorn just boarded the Rhapsody in Seward (so our 17-day cruise had two captains).

Captain Stein Roger Bjorheim had the dubious pleasure of getting us from Shanghai and around Korea and Japan while the level 5 "super typhoon" was churning off our starboard side. Deck 10 sustained some damage to an outside railing and minor other damage occured from the high winds and seas - the one kaboom around 10:15PM one night had me listening for the emergency bells -- but I'm not sure anything would have gotten me into a life board in those heaving seas!

I definitely concur with the friendly staff - of course, about 200 staff members had been on board since departing Galveston and were looking forward to returning home - which seemed to lead to some high spirits. Think the Rhapsody was a cut above some of the other RCCL ships and I thought those were super nice cruises.

Not sure that Alaska weather will be as nice thoughout the summer as our trip was; we had 66 degrees and sunny skies while cruising Hubbard Glacier - some folks spent their time sunbathing by the pool. Oh yes, the rock wall was closed due to snow while cruising the Aleutians.

For anyone booked on the Rhapsody - you will enjoy yourselves as she is a great ship.

so glad to hear the crew is still so friendly.

Wrona--look for a bartender named CHAN--he is the best!!! cutest smile and he makes up drinks. Glad y'all are having a great trip.

We are going to Alaska in aug, but Radiance cabin we could get won out over Rhapsody--but I tried to steer us to Rhapsody. I miss her.

Wrona and Karen..........I didn't realize that Fran Harp is aboard with you. Please pass on my best to her!! We have exchanged some wonderful emails. Let her know that I just heard from Hakan a couple of days ago, and all is well on the Brilliance.

Your trip so far sounds fabulous. Weather is so key to the difference of a good trip......and a great trip to Alaska. Sounds like......so far......your trip is great!!

Thanks for continuing to post "live".

Rick

Archived