Brazilian waxing in the spa?

El Mono

Definitely do it at a good spa in your area. I would not pay less than 80 to have it done, lol. I know price doesn't always mean quality, but it's just a scary area. You want someone who knows what they are doing! Or do the magic powder. I've done both and loved both.

I've never had any kind of waxing done except my eyebrows. I am so tempted to give it a try, since I will have to shave a few times during my 5 day cruise if I don't.

Not to sound silly, but...how bad is the pain? My eyebrows don't even sting but....

I have no idea where most people get it done in my area either, so I will have to check around to see who does it, how much, and who is reputable.

I've never had any kind of waxing done except my eyebrows. I am so tempted to give it a try, since I will have to shave a few times during my 5 day cruise if I don't.

Not to sound silly, but...how bad is the pain? My eyebrows don't even sting but....

I have no idea where most people get it done in my area either, so I will have to check around to see who does it, how much, and who is reputable.

The pain for me is not that bad at all. I just take a few Advil 30 minutes before.

Before you call around decide if you want just a bikini wax or a brazilian wax. Some places only do the bikini wax. Try to find a nice spa and expect to pay $60.00 and up for a brazilian.

Hope this helps. I love the brazilians, I only wish I had got one sooner.

Ok I'm new to this. What's the difference between the bikini and the brazillian wax. I want to get this done before my cruise next year but don't have a clue about it.

Ummmm...it's a bit more "extensive" than a bikini wax.;)

Ok I'm new to this. What's the difference between the bikini and the brazillian wax. I want to get this done before my cruise next year but don't have a clue about it.

If you Google Brazillian waxing, you'll get more information than you ever wanted to know. There are varying degrees of "Brazilians" even different terminology for the same procedure. In a nutshell, a bikini wax is removing the hair right at the bikini line. A Brazilian could be anything from slightly more than that to the whole enchilada. You have plenty of time. A little research will pay off in spades.:)

What is that powder, exactly? Do you shave with it on? Leave on and wipe off?? How does it work, I've never seen this before.

Thanks!

Magic shaving powder was designed to use as an inhibiter of ingrown facial hairs for Black men. It's combined with water to make a paste consistency and works much like Nair. The paste is smoothed onto the area to be treated, left to act for a few minutes, and then "shaved" off with a dull straight edge like a spatula or butter knife. The formula is strong enough to get the job done but much gentler than Nair or other more agressive topical depilatories. As Amber Marie has discovered, this works just as well for Brazilians. Kudos to her for sharing this very inexpensive and affective method.

Rep

. As Amber Marie has discovered, this works just as well for Brazilians. Kudos to her for sharing this very inexpensive and affective method.

Rep

It may work for some women but the regrowth can be fast and coarse, very unlike a wax brazilian. When I tried it in a pinch, I could not wait for my hair to grow enough for me to get to my esthetician and get it taken care of. I would not use it again. Waxing lasts much longer for me personally and the results are better since the hair is not just removed at the surface level.

I have been getting brazilians for many years and the pain is minimal and brief for me and gets easier the longer you do it and with frequent upkeep.

I have never seen brazilians offered on a ship and very rarely bikini waxes and I would not trust the spa staff with this service even if they did.

Things NOT to get done on a ship: Brazillian waxing, tooth whitening, hair color changes. All of those things should be done at home--before your cruise! That way, if something goes wrong, you'll have some recourse.

The "bikini" area does not hurt--but the "Brazilian" area really smarts, but it is over quickly. I did bruise terribly, but would have had to been in a very unladylike position on my beach chair for anyone to notice it!

I'd scrounge up a vicodin!

The "bikini" area does not hurt--but the "Brazilian" area really smarts, but it is over quickly. I did bruise terribly, but would have had to been in a very unladylike position on my beach chair for anyone to notice it!

I'd scrounge up a vicodin!

I am surprised to hear that. I have had many Brazilians with absolutely no bruising and I must have some of the most sensitive skin around. I just have to walk near a chair to get a bruise on my leg!

If you have an esthetician that is good and who is using the correct kind of wax, it is quick and almost painless.

It's a very sharp slap feeling, but its usually over by the time you leave the salon. I had a bikini wax on Thursday as a trial run. Good idea because I bruised slightly where it took two tries to remove a strip. If I had to rate it I would say an eyebrow wax is a 2 and a bikini wax is a high 3- low 4. I didn't take an Advil or anything. I forgot!:rolleyes: I'll do it again.

I'd rate a brazilian as only slightly more painful than an eyebrow or underarm wax, and LESS painful than the lower leg!

I can smile and chat with the aesthetician while she's waxing the hoo-ha, but let her get near my ankle or shin and I almost kick her in the face! I gave up on the leg waxing about a year ago, the Intuition razor every day in the shower does just fine for me.

I am surprised to hear that. I have had many Brazilians with absolutely no bruising and I must have some of the most sensitive skin around. I just have to walk near a chair to get a bruise on my leg!

If you have an esthetician that is good and who is using the correct kind of wax, it is quick and almost painless.

WOW

even the....you know???? doesn't hurt????

I think I have sensitive skin (redhead), but I did bruise horribly. She used cold wax for the...you know.

I am leaving for a 12 night cruise to the Mediterranean on the 27th of this month and am planning to get a Brazilian Wax for the 1st time a week before I go. I'm glad I read this thread - now I know to take a couple Advil beforehand. I'm guessing it's natural for me to be nervous about getting it done. :eek: How embarassing is it? And is there anything else I should know before I go?

I am leaving for a 12 night cruise to the Mediterranean on the 27th of this month and am planning to get a Brazilian Wax for the 1st time a week before I go. I'm glad I read this thread - now I know to take a couple Advil beforehand. I'm guessing it's natural for me to be nervous about getting it done. :eek: How embarassing is it? And is there anything else I should know before I go?

No, it's not really embarrassing. Just keep in mind that your waxer has seen it all before and it's nothing new to them. My only advice is to reschedule closer to your cruise, as if you are like many of us, you will start to have regrowth by a week.

Archived