Confused about what is included food wise

kayden

I wish the search function would work more as I am afraid this may be a duplicate post but anyways...

I see so many posts in regards to the AYW dining etc, but as a first time cruiser, I am confused about the meal options while on board an HAL ship.

First of all, is the dining in the dining area only for dinner? Do they serve other meals there too?

What are our options to eat breakfast, lunch etc?

And finally, what is included (price wise) when you pay for your cruise and what costs extra? I was reading about the Pinnacle (for suite guests etc) where you have to pay for lunch....

The HAL site is very vague in this areas, and the booklet I got from my TA goes into length about the types of cuisine and areas and all of that (like the Lido, etc.) but doesn't mention prices, times, what happens and such.

Please help this first-timer not be confused upon embarking the ship! :)

You won't spend a penny for food unless you want to. The dining room offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner - all at no extra charge. You can also eat in the Lido or get hot dogs, pizza, etc. near the pool. Afternoon ice cream is a wonderful treat, again no extra charge.

The Pinnacle is the extra charge restaurant. It was $30 per person last time I was there, but posts here indicate it's gone down to $20. Worth every penny to us - but not at all needed for a great cruise.

You'll have so much to eat, you'll actually get tired of eating! :)

I wish the search function would work more as I am afraid this may be a duplicate post but anyways...

I see so many posts in regards to the AYW dining etc, but as a first time cruiser, I am confused about the meal options while on board an HAL ship.

First of all, is the dining in the dining area only for dinner? Do they serve other meals there too?

What are our options to eat breakfast, lunch etc?

Dining room is usually open for breakfast and lunch, though there may be some exceptions when it is closed for lunch on port days, and it may not be open for breakfast on disembarkation day. Breakfast and lunch are always available in the Lido and through room service.

And finally, what is included (price wise) when you pay for your cruise and what costs extra? I was reading about the Pinnacle (for suite guests etc) where you have to pay for lunch....

The Pinnacle is free for suite guests at breakfast, but is not available for anyone else as a breakfast venue. Anyone may eat in the Pinnacle for lunch and dinner, at a per-person surcharge. All other food is free, including room service. Some non-alcoholic beverages are free, but all alcoholic beverages, sodas, and some other non-alcholic beverages must be paid for.

The HAL site is very vague in this areas, and the booklet I got from my TA goes into length about the types of cuisine and areas and all of that (like the Lido, etc.) but doesn't mention prices, times, what happens and such.

Please help this first-timer not be confused upon embarking the ship! :)

No problem - that's what we're here for. Enjoy your cruise!

The Pinnacle Grill is open to everyone on board for lunch and dinner - for a small fee (now $20USD for dinner). During breakfast it is for Suite guests only. Other that that (and the new 'extra' restaurants on the soon to be delivered Eurodam) all meals/foods are included (pizza/burgers by the pool, pre-dinner munchies in the lounges, ice cream in the lido..... )

Other than the specialty coffees at the separate coffee area, sodas, and alcohol - all beverages are included. In the dining room the after-dinner coffees from the menu are included.

Meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) are served in the main dining room and the Lido Cafe. Sometimes, when in port the main dining room will be closed for lunch, but the Lido will be open. All meal hours and locations will be in the daily program delivered to your cabin each night for the following day. 24-hour room service is also included, but we tip the delivery steward.

As mentioned above there will also be pizza and burgers/hot dogs served at a grill near the Lido pool.

Your TA should be able to also answer any questions, but the CC is definitely more convenient. :D

Enjoy!

You'll have so much to eat, you'll actually get tired of eating! :)

Sister, is THAT ever true! When I get off a long cruise the LAST thing I want to think about is food. Indeed, it's a GREAT time to really go whole-hog on a diet. (a) you NEED to, and (b) you DON'T need to eat for 2 weeks. :)

The Pinnacle Grill is open to everyone on board for lunch and dinner - for a small fee (now $20USD for dinner).

Question ... for you or for anyone else who might know ... when they cut the Pinnacle Grill price back to $20 pp for dinner did they also cut back the price for Lunch in the Pinnacle from $15 back to $10?

Other that that (and the new 'extra' restaurants on the soon to be delivered Eurodam) all meals/foods are included (pizza/burgers by the pool, pre-dinner munchies in the lounges, ice cream in the lido..... )

Let's not forget the popcorn at the movies! :D (You aren't required to watch the movie to take a bag. ;) )

I thought that the new Pinnacle Grill rate for dinner of $20 pp was for online bookings only, did I miss some further information?

GN

I recall a post a couple of weeks ago in which it was stated that the new price now is $20 pp for dinner no matter how/where one makes the reservation. That's the new fee for PG dinner. For some who'd already booked at the higher price, I believe the difference was put on their shipboard account as a credit.

Question ... for you or for anyone else who might know ... when they cut the Pinnacle Grill price back to $20 pp for dinner did they also cut back the price for Lunch in the Pinnacle from $15 back to $10?

Yes, I've confirmed it with HAL, $20 for dinner and $10 for lunch.

Do any of you think that $10 is a good deal for lunch or dinner, considering what they have on the menu for the Pinnacle? Should I try it at least once?

Yes ($20 for dinner). And yes.

Check out the menu in advance, to be sure it has what you're looking for. Also check out the dining room menu for the night you're considering the Pinnacle, so you won't miss something you really want. But the Pinncale has a lovely atmosphere, delicious food, and fine service.

I agree this is a good move on HAL's part. At $30 per person for dinner, $20 for lunch, I just was not interested. At the current prices, I am seriously considering it - chocolate volcano cake, here I come! :D Assuming I am not atypical of HAL passengers in this respect, I think they have found the right price point to keep the place busy.

Archived