Flour and sugar

Is it just me, or is it true that if I want a snack and go to whatever is available somewhere, that it is just things with flour and/or sugar that are available? Where is the high-cocoa-content chocolate and the nutmeats?

If I am hungry I don't want pizza, or sugar cookies, or ice cream.

Fruit is always available even in cabin, if you request it.

Snacks with a high cocoa content and/or the "good nuts" are probably readily available on cruise lines charging multiples of a HAL cruise.

No reason you can't bring a can of nuts to enjoy when you want a nibble.

We are taking a resort vacation and I plan to bring a can of nuts along to have in our room. Very easy to toss a can of the 'good nuts' in your suitcase.

No reason you can't bring a can of nuts to enjoy when you want a nibble.

We are taking a resort vacation and I plan to bring a can of nuts along to have in our room. Very easy to toss a can of the 'good nuts' in your suitcase.

I agree, and these days, there are plenty of mixes available in plastic bags combining nuts, chocolate, and dried fruit. This is the most straightforward path, IMO. Find something you like and pack it along.

There are options to roll your own, but these can be spotty. Nuts are served in the lounges (often just peanuts), and there are toppings at the ice cream bar. Fresh fruit is usually plentiful through room service or on the Lido.

In addition to the fresh fruit mentioned above, smoked salmon, a plate of assorted cheeses, and salads are among the offerings that are available around the clock through room service, at least in my experience. Quality hors d'oeuvres are offered in some of the various lounges before dinner. The Lido serves a nice internationally-themed buffet in the evening between 11 pm and midnight.

On our cruises, as I remember, the Explorer's Lounge had chocolates available after dinner, which we were told were made onboard. They weren't fancy, mostly a selection of plain milk and white chocolate, if I recall correctly.

Since we usually travel with children, we usually have a little stash of something non-perishable and non-sugary that we take along for the "midnight munchies".

Bon Appetit et mangez bien! Happy Eating!

If we get hungry late afternon, we sometimes go to the taco bar and I take a spoonful of the sauteed chicken and maybe some sliced lettuce and tomato. They also offer veggie burgers off the grill.....skip the roll if you wish.

"No reason that you can't bring a can of nuts with you when you want to nibble ........... very easy to bring a can of 'the good nuts' in youir suitcase"

'Sail' What were you thinking! ;) Thank goodness DW doesn't frequent this board, I sold her on the 'Voyage of the Good Nuts', on the Noordam, on the premise that that's the easiest way to get the "Good Nuts' -- (after all I am a salesman !!) and the final payment hasn't been made yet! ---- now this, -- hopefully she won't read this thread !! :D

Have a great Boston - Montreal - Boston cruise on 'your' Maasdam this summer!

Gord

You can always grab a bag (or two, or ...) on your way by the movie.

And then there's room service.

I find that I board the ship hungry, eat lunch, and never get hungry again until a couple of days after I disembark.

If we wanted nibbles before dinner (we do late dining and like to have wine & nibbles while we're getting ready) I often went to make nachos from the pool grill, and cheese & crackers from the buffet. So, if you don't want "flour", I guess you could have cheese & meat! (I might be getting confused about which cruiseline, but on at least one there were cold cuts with the cheese when I was preparing my cheese tray...)

Is it just me, or is it true that if I want a snack and go to whatever is available somewhere, that it is just things with flour and/or sugar that are available? Where is the high-cocoa-content chocolate and the nutmeats?

If I am hungry I don't want pizza, or sugar cookies, or ice cream.

"nutmeats"? LOL

On our first HAL cruise on the old Volendam, when we were young and hungry twenty-somethings, we had late sitting for dinner. We continually found ourselves sharp-set and starving by four or five p.m. :D

We had scrimped and saved to be able to afford this cruise (kind of a delayed honeymoon) and we were trying to hold on-board expenses down. So we'd go to the bar (I seem to recall that there was only one, and a small bar at that) and -- trying to be inconspicuous -- eat every last piece of whatever munchie was placed in the little bowl on the bar. That would hold us till 8 o'clock or whenever dinner started.

When we got back, we confessed this to my parents, who broke into gales of laughter before telling us that we could have ordered anything we liked from room service, for no charge. Sandwiches! Cheese trays! Fruit! Anything! :eek:

Aarrrgggh. Well, now we know.

I have a fear of room service because I fear tipping.

Is this a fear of having to tip or concern for how much to tip?

While no one is required to tip, it's not difficult to take $2 out of pocket and hand it over and call it a day.

One thing I loved about our Zuiderdam cruise was the abundance of cool salads. It was a warm week in the Caribbean, and the variety of prepared salads on the salad bar was very refreshing for a lighter snack when returning from a day ashore. On our recent Grand Princess cruise, I complained to my husband that I sure missed HAL's salad bar... and ice cream, and bread pudding (oops! I digress...) :D

Ok I have to ask after all this time *LOL*

What exactly are the "Good Nuts" ?

I mean everyone has their favorites , (My preference are cashews and Macadamias :))

Always meant to ask when the term was brought up, and this is as good atime as ever :)

Ok I have to ask after all this time *LOL*

What exactly are the "Good Nuts" ?

I mean everyone has their favorites , (My preference are cashews and Macadamias :))

Always meant to ask when the term was brought up, and this is as good atime as ever :)

I've always wondered that myself.

Archived