Fire and Ice cruise 8/09

scamper01

We are thinking about taking the Fire and Ice cruise from New York to England in August 09. We would stay 3 days in London and then come back on NCL. Has anyone else done the Fire and Ice Cruise? I would like any information about the shore excursions, weather and seas that you are willing to share. We went on the 15 day Hawaiian cruise this past spring and had no trouble with sea sickness. Thanks, Scamper 01

We are thinking about taking the Fire and Ice cruise from New York to England in August 09. We would stay 3 days in London and then come back on NCL. Has anyone else done the Fire and Ice Cruise? I would like any information about the shore excursions, weather and seas that you are willing to share. We went on the 15 day Hawaiian cruise this past spring and had no trouble with sea sickness. Thanks, Scamper 01

Maybe you need to put this on the NCL board. This is the Princess board.

marilyn

Maybe you need to put this on the NCL board. This is the Princess board.

marilyn

I think they're saying they're going to take Princess over to England, then NCL back.

The Tahitian Princess does an 18-Day "Fire & Ice" cruise from NY to Dover on July 25, 2009, & again on August 30th.

Scamper 1,

We are going on the Fire and Ice on August 30, 2009 also. What NCL ship is coming back to the US from England? Sounds like that might be a good way to get back here without a long flight.

Thanks,

I think they're saying they're going to take Princess over to England, then NCL back.

The Tahitian Princess does an 18-Day "Fire & Ice" cruise from NY to Dover on July 25, 2009, & again on August 30th.

Oops, did not realize that. sorry.

marilyn

We will take the Norwegian Jewel back to Dover from New York on 9/19. It is an 11 day cruise. I hate to fly long distances so this is the way for us to cross the Atlantic. The Ice and Fire cruise goes to Greenland, Canada, Iceland, Norway, ---

Scamper01

We did Fire and Ice the other way around: Dover to NYC, on the late great Royal Princess, back in Aug 98. Great trip!

Capt Andy Proctor was bound and determined to dock in Greenland, and did get us in, albeit to a port different than scheduled.

We did hit a large fog bank between Greenland and Newfoundland (with the foghorn bleating continuously), and sailed close to Titanic's resting place..

Gopher Girl,

Fire and Ice is the trip from New York City to Dover. She stops in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland (hence fire and ice), Shetland Islands, Norway and Dover. It is on the Tahitian Princess. Sounds like a neat trip.

Shore excursions

Greenland: We had no port excursions. We were just happy to be able to tender there. The town was very small but had colorful houses. We saw several icebergs in the area. The local hung fish outside their houses to dry. We enjoyed just walking around the town for a couple of hours. We even went into the local markets. I did say SMALL town.

Iceland: We have been there twice. The "Blue Lagoon" and the "Falls" are very popular. My DW liked the "Icelandic Pony" show. It is a very clean island with almost no air pollution. The salmon is very good there. Try the "Black Dead" if you like a very strong drink.

Thanks for all the replies. We booked HAL the Eurodam yesterday instead. The 18 day Fire/Ice cruise cost the same as a 28 day Transatlantic cruise with HAL. We will go to 11 different countries then transfer to QM2 and sail home. Thanks again for all the information.

Thanks for all the replies. We booked HAL the Eurodam yesterday instead. The 18 day Fire/Ice cruise cost the same as a 28 day Transatlantic cruise with HAL. We will go to 11 different countries then transfer to QM2 and sail home. Thanks again for all the information.

scamper01 - Can you adopt me? Please????:D

Love the Tahitian Princess through Polynesia, don't think I want to spend that many days aboard though, especially if there are many sea days. Got a little bored, not enough areas to wander about in. IMHO

• 10 months later...

Hi -

We are considering the Fire and Ice cruise on Tahitian Princess Aug 30/09.

Did you get a good deal on the price? Are you staying over post-cruise, or returning immediately? Do you have any concerns about the ship not being suitable for a colder climate...it will be close to the arctic circle in places, and its previous sailings were around Tahiti!

Also if you got a good deal on the airfare, would you mind sharing what airline it was?

OD2

Hi -

We are considering the Fire and Ice cruise on Tahitian Princess Aug 30/09.

Did you get a good deal on the price? Are you staying over post-cruise, or returning immediately? Do you have any concerns about the ship not being suitable for a colder climate...it will be close to the arctic circle in places, and its previous sailings were around Tahiti!

Also if you got a good deal on the airfare, would you mind sharing what airline it was?

OD2

We sailed the Tahitian Princess last summer for two weeks in Alaska and had no trouble with the cool temperatures - highs mostly in the 50's & low 60's.

Archived