temporary id..is it okay?

livelife08

My cousin and I are leaving on the Sensation from Port Canaveral next week, June 12th. We are flying down there. The only problem is she has a temporary id (alabama). She still hasn't received her real id card and it has been about 2 1/2 weeks. She is using her birth ceritificate and id to board. Will this temporary id be sufficient?

Does it have a photo? At least here in California, even temporary drivers' licenses have a photo on them.

I'd say she'll have a tough time getting on a ship without a photo, but she should contact Carnival and see what they suggest. She might also want to contact DMV and see if they'll give her a date when the ID will be sent out.

If she has a college ID, they have pictures and that should suffice, along with her temporary DL and BC. (I don't know why Alabama takes so long--my daughter had to wait about 1 month for her permanent DL!)

The temp. id does have a photo and she's not in college. She will be a senior in high school this fall. She doesn't have anything else. I will take one of the posters advice and call Carnival to see what they suggest.

If she has a college ID, they have pictures and that should suffice, along with her temporary DL and BC.

I don't know that I agree with that. One needs a government issued photo ID, hence a DL issued by a state. High school students over 16 can use a school ID IF it is a public school and not a private school. The same would hold true for colleges. If it is a private college or university, the photo ID is not a government issued document.

So, if the temp DL has yet to arrive, she can march off to the local DMV/Secretary of State facility and pay a minimal amount to get a state-issued photo ID ... just as people who don't or no longer drive might do.

I would not count on a school ID as being appropriate either to board an airplane or a cruiseship.

So, if the temp DL has yet to arrive, she can march off to the local DMV/Secretary of State facility and pay a minimal amount to get a state-issued photo ID ... just as people who don't or no longer drive might do.

I would not count on a school ID as being appropriate either to board an airplane or a cruiseship.

For a minor, school ID will be enough to board a plane at least. I have no idea what OP means by "temporary ID" but if her cousin has her original birth certificate and a picture ID, I don't know why she would not be fine.

I am hoping the OP is an adult and has a permission letter from cousin's parents and a medical consent form.

Are you suppose to bring your drivers license or is a passport sufficent?? We are getting our 14 y/o an id card from the dmv but the adults weren't going to bring their license. Should we???

I would think the passport sufficient. Never showed any other ID along with my passport. However, you may need your DL for other reasons, such as renting a car, cashing travelers checks, etc.

Are you suppose to bring your drivers license or is a passport sufficent?? We are getting our 14 y/o an id card from the dmv but the adults weren't going to bring their license. Should we???

No need, unless you'll be driving. In terms of identification, the drivers license won't do anything that a passport won't, including cashing traveller's checks. It's the Superman of ID, everywhere.

Archived