How stringent are excursion age guidelines?

mikeythemars

One of the excursions we are interested in states in the Princess brochure a minimum age of 12. My son is 11 and a half; if I make a ressie for my group including him, does anyone know if Princess check ages against their passenger roster?

Thanks - the things you mentioned are all aboard ship and involve government regulated activities. I'm wondering given the "outsourced" nature of excursions (vendors, not Princess provide the actual service) whether the guideline enforcement is delegated to them.

Thanks - the things you mentioned are all aboard ship and involve government regulated activities. I'm wondering given the "outsourced" nature of excursions (vendors, not Princess provide the actual service) whether the guideline enforcement is delegated to them.

You may find that their liability insurance providers have age minimums, and some excursion providers ask that you sign some waivers.

I would be cautious trying to fudge the age limitations.

I would have to guess the age will be checked. In todays world of law suits, legal issues are becoming the backbone of the American way. If your son is not checked, and god forbid something happen, you could find yourself facing some form of legal action.

Not looking to fudge - I've identified the operator of the tour and visited their website, where they state a minimum age of 10 to participate. Now wondering why Princess says 12. May end up booking directly with the firm if I can, biggest issue then becomes get a private transfer to the site (half hour from port).

Princess must have liability insurance that limits them to age 12 for some excursions. We have a son younger than 12 and have looked at a number of excursions where 12 is the age cut off. Most of the excursions are things like snorkeling that our kids have done many times before. I've checked with the vendors directly and the vendors do not have an age 12 limit, so it is a Princess thing. Unfortunately, if the vendor knows you are on a ship, they won't let you book directly. Because of this, we are not doing any Princess excursions for this cruise. We will be arranging activities on our own. Ultimately, I think we will be better off, but I wouldn't describe the policy as accommodating to active families used to engaging in a variety of sports.

Enjoy your trip.

Netta7

Princess must have liability insurance that limits them to age 12 for some excursions. We have a son younger than 12 and have looked at a number of excursions where 12 is the age cut off. Most of the excursions are things like snorkeling that our kids have done many times before. I've checked with the vendors directly and the vendors do not have an age 12 limit, so it is a Princess thing. Unfortunately, if the vendor knows you are on a ship, they won't let you book directly. Because of this, we are not doing any Princess excursions for this cruise. We will be arranging activities on our own. Ultimately, I think we will be better off, but I wouldn't describe the policy as accommodating to active families used to engaging in a variety of sports.

Enjoy your trip.

Netta7

Excellent points - on our CB cruise, most of the snorkeling excursions don't have a 12 year old limit; those seem to be primarily for activities that involve motorized equipment. The activity we're interested in is a canopy tour and again the vendor on their website says age 10, not 12. So you are likely right, this probably a Princess thing.

I travel with a 5 year spread of 4 kids (now 10-15 we've cruised for 7 years). Except for our first cruise, I've not used ship excursions in the Caribbean. Generally, I've had greater satisfaction in individual attention and price booking operators directly.

I travel with a 5 year spread of 4 kids (now 10-15 we've cruised for 7 years). Except for our first cruise, I've not used ship excursions in the Caribbean. Generally, I've had greater satisfaction in individual attention and price booking operators directly.

I'm 100% with you on this. The only time I even consider a cruise line excursion is if either (a) the offering is very unique (which is rare) or (b) if the logistics of "DIY" look particularly messy. In this case, it' a bit of both; there is really only one vendor offering what we want, they are a half hour from port and it's not yet clear if they will allow us to book "privately" (I'm currently checking).

It could also be more of a height/weight issue, especially if there are safety harnesses or things like that (like a canopy tour would have). Too many "regulations" go by a child's age, when what they really should focus on is the height and weight. Car seats/booster seats are a good example; some states say kids have to ride in a booster seat until age 6, but all you have to do is look at a bunch of 6-year-olds and there is a huge difference in their sizes. So, I'd say that might be another consideration too.

Not looking to fudge - I've identified the operator of the tour and visited their website, where they state a minimum age of 10 to participate. Now wondering why Princess says 12. May end up booking directly with the firm if I can, biggest issue then becomes get a private transfer to the site (half hour from port).

Like I said I don't think private tour operators worry as much as the cruise line but you never know.

I would not take the chance through the cruise line. :)

Archived