cash when and where? first time cruiser

live4water

Heading out on the CB Nov. 13th. First time on a cruise. Absorbed everything I can from these forumns.

My question is: Where/when will I need cash? I know I'll need in Port and for extra tipping. Any other times? I plan to use the standard charge to my room while onboard...but don't want to come up short with cash if the ATM on board goes empty.

thanks.

We bring $500. Did not even use half that amount, but one never knows if you see something you like and you don't want to use your credit card while in port. :eek: We bring mostly $10s and a lot of $1s. If you are staying the night before at a hotel, you have the cab fare (tip), hotel service tips, tip for the shuttle person to dock. We pre-tip our cabin steward/ess ahead and when done. Tip for room service, if you do that -$3.00. Then at the end, you can give envelopes to your waiter/assistant waiter and anyone else that may have provided great service. Then it is back to the airport with cab and porter. If you are a coffee drinker, save some money for a cup of coffee at the airport - you will definately want a cup no matter what time it is (LOL)

Bring lots of small bills. Room service deserves a cash tip. And taxi drivers, luggage handlers, etc expect one.

By the way, have you joined the Roll Call thread? I'm on this sailing, too! Only 31 more days!!

Just in case you don't know how to get there, at the bottom of the page, use Forum Jump to scroll down to Princess Roll Calls, the look for Caribbean Princess Nov 13. Please come join us if you haven't already.

Also, something else you'll need some cash for is for tipping tour guides/drivers. I don't bring a whole lot of cash -- just enough to be comfortable with what I'll need pre-cruise. But I do bring traveler's checks and cash them as I need them. I bring a total of $400-$500 and usually wind up bringing home $100 - $200.

I save $1 dollar and $5 dollar bills, and we use them for tipping the room service people, tipping the bell hops, tipping the cabbies, tipping, well, you get the idea. By saving the bills up over a period of time, it really minimizes the total amount of $$$ needed for the trip. ;)

Archived