Own stock - pricing discount?

bburns

I read a few months ago in a newspaper article that its common with cruise lines to offer additional pricing discounts to people who own their stock. Had never heard of that. I tried submitting a question twice to the person Princess had assigned to us as our personal cruise assistant (sorry forgot the right term), but never got an answer. Does anyone know if Princess does this?

Princess does offer a small onboard credit to shareholders of at least 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock. Used to be the stockholder credit could not be combined with any other cruiseline provided onboard credit or discount. This year it changed to be combinable. It has been a steady amount for at least the last 5 years, but it could change or be removed at the next annual meeting.

There is no shareholder price discount, but many Travel Agents offer price discounts from the current Princess price.

Princess does offer a small onboard credit to shareholders of at least 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock. Used to be the stockholder credit could not be combined with any other cruiseline provided onboard credit or discount. This year it changed to be combinable. It has been a steady amount for at least the last 5 years, but it could change or be removed at the next annual meeting.

There is no shareholder price discount, but many Travel Agents offer price discounts from the current Princess price.

I don't really feel the obc is all that small. $100 for 7 day and $250 for 14 day. That, combined with FCC and TA credits, makes for a very nice total of obc's. :p

Lynda, you are right. :) I was thinking compared to the ~10% discount off the cruise price usually found at a good TA the OBC is small. But as OBC's go it is a pretty good amount. And now that it is combinable it just makes it even better.

How does one apply for this credit? Thru the TA or Princess directly?

Looks like the stock hasn't done too well over the past year due to fuel costs. Share prices have dropped from $52 to $35 now, but then again, it may be a good time to buy and become a shareholder and get some OBCs:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/apwire/bac1f3fdc0d0f58bd537138951b71316.htm

Instructions are in the annual report, page 7 of this year's, but you apply directly to the cruiseline after you have made your reservation and deposit. There is a specific contact address (not the standard reservation dept.) which handles this for each subsidiary.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/14/140690/CCL07AR.pdf

Once you have proof of ownership of 100 shares and have made your final payment you have to send or fax to Lisa McDaniel at Princess Yield Management -

Phone 800-872-6779 ext 30305

Fax 661-753-0180

How does one apply for this credit? Thru the TA or Princess directly?

Looks like the stock hasn't done too well over the past year due to fuel costs. Share prices have dropped from $52 to $35 now, but then again, it may be a good time to buy and become a shareholder and get some OBCs:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/apwire/bac1f3fdc0d0f58bd537138951b71316.htm

Right near 52 week low. So if you have an upcoming cruise, this is much safer time to own. You only need to prove you own the stock when you submit that info to Princess Yield Management. :)

How exactly does one go about proving ownership? Do I need to send them my latest brokerage statement showing my position in the stock? Can I redact the account number? I have an upcoming cruise in January and this is the first time that I've applied for the credit. I currently own 100 shares in CCL.

Thanks!

How exactly does one go about proving ownership? Do I need to send them my latest brokerage statement showing my position in the stock? Can I redact the account number? I have an upcoming cruise in January and this is the first time that I've applied for the credit. I currently own 100 shares in CCL.

Thanks!

Your brokerage statement will work just fine. Also, copy of stock certificate or proxy card. All are acceptable.

Thanks!

If I remember it correctly, she wants to see the statement that is within 30 days of the sailing time. The account owner's name must match at least one passenger's name. I usually send her email with copy of my e-broker's statement copied onto the email body.

Unless you specify, most stocks are held in "street name", i.e. your broker's name and you would not have a stock certificate. However, your brokerage statement would have the information of your ownership and that suffices.

We've always used our Proxy Vote form. You can use your brokerage statement, but I don't feel that they need to know anything about our other investments and I'm too lazy to mark everything else out :D !

If you've booked with a Travel Agent they'll take care of everything. If not, I guess you need to contact Lisa, as corian posted.

Well, this has been a most worthwhile thread, that's for sure. Since CCL knows who owns their stock (afterall, their investor relations dep't does send out the proxy statements and quarterly reports) wouldn't they be able to provide some proof of ownership to Princess? They do pay a nice little dividend and have repurchased some of their own shares, but the big unknown about fuel costs is scary, that's for sure. s

Well, this has been a most worthwhile thread, that's for sure. Since CCL knows who owns their stock (afterall, their investor relations dep't does send out the proxy statements and quarterly reports) wouldn't they be able to provide some proof of ownership to Princess? They do pay a nice little dividend and have repurchased some of their own shares, but the big unknown about fuel costs is scary, that's for sure. s

It's the responsibility of the individual to provide the required info. For me, it's easier to send in the info myself rather than send it to TA and then have her send it. Just an added step. But, that's me; others may want to do it differently.

can you use the stockholders credit if you have gotten your rate through a TA and not paid the full Princess price? For instance, we have an OBC from the TA as well as the OBC from using a FCC. Would we still be able to use the stockholders credit also? Thanks!

can you use the stockholders credit if you have gotten your rate through a TA and not paid the full Princess price? For instance, we have an OBC from the TA as well as the OBC from using a FCC. Would we still be able to use the stockholders credit also? Thanks!

Yes.

You dont need to own the stock long term. In fact, in the times I bought CCL for the shareholders credit, I immediately sell deep-in-money covered call to make sure if the stock drops 15% from there, I would not lose money.

Upon return, I generally dumped it had it not be called out.

Right near 52 week low. So if you have an upcoming cruise, this is much safer time to own. You only need to prove you own the stock when you submit that info to Princess Yield Management. :)

It's now at the 52-week low.

Closed today @ $32.93 a share but got as low as $32.43. Time to buy?

• 2 weeks later...
I don't really feel the obc is all that small. $100 for 7 day and $250 for 14 day. That, combined with FCC and TA credits, makes for a very nice total of obc's. :p

Shares dropped to $29.75 today (so far). It's getting less expensive to get that OBC. :)

CCL is at a Five year low.

I saw this blurb on one of the finance sites:

Technical indicators for CCL are bearish and steady, while S&P gives the stock a bearish 2 Stars (out of 5) Sell rating. For a hedged play on this stock, consider an August bull-put spread below the $27.50 range. CCL hasn't been below 27.50 at all in the past year, and could lose up to 17.7% before this trade loses money.

Archived