Are Minors able to exit to a port w/out parent?

kidfanz

We will be sailing next month on the Pride and as I have 4 teens who sometimes are hard to get up in the a.m., I wondered if I should have difficulty getting them (one in particular) up on a port day and left without one of them, would they then be able to leave the ship later in the day on their own? And can they return on board without a parent? I haven't seen this addressed as of yet.

We will be sailing next month on the Pride and as I have 4 teens who sometimes are hard to get up in the a.m., I wondered if I should have difficulty getting them (one in particular) up on a port day and left without one of them, would they then be able to leave the ship later in the day on their own? And can they return on board without a parent? I haven't seen this addressed as of yet.

I believe he would be able to. I'm not sure I would allow that only because you don't know what the islands have in store for visitors. I err on the side of caution.

I really do not think they would stop him / her from getting off or back on the ship.

I personally do not allow my teen off the ship without me or my DH. She is a pretty girl, and I am afraid of what might happen to her on the islands with the rate of girls being kidnapped and put in to sex selling and things like that.

I would not trust him off the ship alone.

I don't know about Carnival and I don't know about getting back on - but I do know on Disney there was a girl that they wouldn't let off because she was under 18 and didn't have an adult with her. She was VERY UPSET! That may be there policy only - she certainly wasn't aware of it.

That is a unique question, and it would be good for parents of teens to know. I imagine you'll have to wait and talk w/security on the ship.

I wouldn't want my teen going onto an island alone; bad things are known to happen. Also, he might just forget to take the necessary IDs to get BACK on the ship.:rolleyes:

While I don't know about teens, I do know that they checked every time to make sure that our kids (who were usually in front of us) were in fact going with US, and not just somebody else's child trying to leave unchaperoned. They are 7 and 11. In fact, we were usually asked by two people as we made our way out. It was nice to know that they were checking. So I would say it depends on how old (or young) the teens look.

That is a unique question, and it would be good for parents of teens to know. I imagine you'll have to wait and talk w/security on the ship.

I wouldn't want my teen going onto an island alone; bad things are known to happen. Also, he might just forget to take the necessary IDs to get BACK on the ship.:rolleyes:

Ditto, Cotton. I just wouldn't be comfortable with this at all.

Actually if we left the ship without him (He is 17) I wouldn't want him to be able to leave on his own. I'm just not sure if someone would try and stop him if he decided later that he wanted to leave.

My 16 year old and I got separated during a long line. They let her out with out me. I ended up calling security and giving them a piece of my mind !!!!! I did not know if she was ahead of me or behind me. We wasted 1 1/2 hr trying to look for her because we thought she was still inside the ship lost. :mad: and all that time she was outside of the ship waiting for me!!!

My daughter is very bad about getting up in the morning. When we cruise I just let her know she will be waking up at whatever time to go into port. She had to do it. No choice. She is almost 20 and if she went with me again I would let her sleep and do her own thing, as she has been on 10 cruises and knows what's what. I wouldn't have felt safe letting her get off the ship when she was under 18.

Candi

Surprised it wasn't answered or I must of mis-read the posts above. What you do is go to the Pursers Deck and they will put a Security Code on the Sail & Sign card, this will prevent the kids from exiting the ship without their Parents. They normally knock them in the head with a billy club and set them on the side until you come and retrieve them.

Get the Security Code inserted so they can not leave the ship with out you.

Also remember, in Mexico you will need a form of ID with a photo along with your Sail & Sign card.

Fred

Heck, they don't have to be teens to do that! I took my 22yo son and his 20yo girlfriend on a cruise with me, and they got off the ship at Cabo San Lucas (after telling me earlier in the day that they were going to stay on board). I ran into them on the return tender, and all they had with them were their ship cards DESPITE numerous announcements about taking picture ID with them. Luckily for them, there was no issue.... but they could've been washing dishes in Cabo for a LONG time to earn their airfare home!!!

Usually they will not allow a minor to get off without a parent. However, my 16 year old daughter and her friend managed to get off at one port by mingling with other people. They were suppose to be sleeping in and having breakfeast at the buffet before one of our excursions.

I did not blame security because there is no way of telling who is family and who is not. My daughter was grounded for a very long time and will not be sneaking off a ship again.

We did put a security block on her card so that she could not exit or enter the ship without me.

Thanks for the security code ideas. I thought that was automatic if the child is a minor.

Can't aways assume anything, aways check just to make sure. The card will say they are under 18 years of age for drinking purposes.

Fred

This is good to know and I will make sure and address this on the ship early on. Thanx for the tip. It may not be an issue at all because he should be excited to get up and go, but I know how hard it can be to get this one particular teen up in the morning, and I don't want the rest of us to miss port time because he won't get up. But I definately don't want him wandering Mexico on his own.

This is good to know and I will make sure and address this on the ship early on. Thanx for the tip. It may not be an issue at all because he should be excited to get up and go, but I know how hard it can be to get this one particular teen up in the morning, and I don't want the rest of us to miss port time because he won't get up. But I definately don't want him wandering Mexico on his own.

You have that problem too? My dd sometimes does not get up till nearly noon. She is home schooled, so she does her schooling int he afternoons.

She does not want to get off the ship in Nassau which is no big deal. We will let her sleep that day. She is more than willing to stay on the ship.

Archived