Dealing with old time cruisers

ECP

My mom has just bought a condo in Miami. And plans to spend the winter there.

So I have suggested that she go on a few cruises, not only are they cheap if you are already down there (we presently live in Ontario Canada), but we have relatives in Jamaica, Caymans, Antigua, and other islands as well.

I think this is a great way for her to touch base with them. However, when discussing cruising (even with pictures from my cruises & others) she still is stuck in how it was done in the 1950's & 1960's.

Anyone else had to deal with someone who has not cruised in 30-40-50 years?

Examples:

Due to the low prices she expect bunk beds, despite my pictures of single and twins bed from my cruises.

I only took a few pictures of the tables and she still thinks the food selection is limited. I have to find again the site that shows the menu for an extended cruise. (Was that on cruise-mates?).

She thinks the boat will rock a-lot. I remember our cruise from England when I was a kid. We hit a storm and we all were very sea-sick. Talk about modern day stabilizers and GPS/Weather reports just go over her head.

It sounds like you've done your best to convince her and nudge her towards cruising, all you can do is sit back and let her decide to go - or not go. How old is she? Does she have friends or relatives in Miami where she'll be living who could go with her, or suggest other vacation alternatives?

My experience with older relatives is that they balk and don't want to do anything their kids suggest until they're too immobile to do it easily. Then they lament that they didn't go when they could have. You can only do so much without driving yourself crazy, sit back and let her make her decision. Good Luck, at least you have a warm place to go during the long Canadian winter!

However, when discussing cruising (even with pictures from my cruises & others) she still is stuck in how it was done in the 1950's & 1960's.

Nothing you can't do, those old folks are set in their old ways. Pay for her cruise, maybe that will change things.

Fred

Offer to go with her--as a Florida resident she can get great deals, all she has to do is show proof that she lives there and you can stay with her pre and post cruise! Then you can reassure her all the way while you enjoy yourself!

I understand your situation! My father hasn't cruised in 30 years and we begged him and his wife to go with us on our last cruise. He just kept saying he couldn't stand to be cramped up in those little cabins. We did our best to explain that things are different now but he wouldn't budge! Once we got back the first thing he said was that he wished he'd gone afterall. He started talking to his friends who do cruise and when they told him about it he was convinced. Now he's planning to go with some of them next Spring. It's funny how he wouldn't listen to us but his friends have him all excited about going! Maybe you should try getting some of your mother's friends to tell her about their experiences.

Good Luck!

I understand your situation! My father hasn't cruised in 30 years and we begged him and his wife to go with us on our last cruise. He just kept saying he couldn't stand to be cramped up in those little cabins. We did our best to explain that things are different now but he wouldn't budge! Once we got back the first thing he said was that he wished he'd gone afterall. He started talking to his friends who do cruise and when they told him about it he was convinced. Now he's planning to go with some of them next Spring. It's funny how he wouldn't listen to us but his friends have him all excited about going! Maybe you should try getting some of your mother's friends to tell her about their experiences.

Good Luck!

My parents (who also live in Florida) were considering getting a computer.....I got from them, that they were basically interested in only email and really wouldn't use the computer for much else (those were the days when a hard drive would run more than $1500)....so I mentioned WebTV several times..........on one visit to their house, my father says, "What do you think of WebTV?" I responded, "Which one of your friends recommended it.......because I've said it until I was blue in the face, and you've ignored me".....

When we upgraded to a newer computer, we gave them our older on.....

When your Mom meets new friends in Miami, and they have been traveling...She will decide to go to. My mom was 80 when she moved into a retirement facility. the next fall, I invited her to come with me to Puerto Rico while I attended a professional comference. Had she been living at her previous home, she would have demurred and talked about age, etc. but at her new home, many of her friends were 'reacquaintences', parents of classmates of mine and my older sister. And they were always jetting off somewhere, Europe, Japan...So she went, and had a great time. So, just wait for her peers to influence her. EM

My parents (who also live in Florida) were considering getting a computer.....I got from them, that they were basically interested in only email and really wouldn't use the computer for much else (those were the days when a hard drive would run more than $1500)....so I mentioned WebTV several times..........on one visit to their house, my father says, "What do you think of WebTV?" I responded, "Which one of your friends recommended it.......because I've said it until I was blue in the face, and you've ignored me".....

When we upgraded to a newer computer, we gave them our older on.....

:)so true, Karen.

My mom and I have had the hardest time trying to convince her companion that they should go on a cruise! He said he cruised to Europe and back and that was the worse crossing ever. Of course it was during WWII to go to Anzio and then the subsequent foot trip up the continent with the 3rd Infantry!! :rolleyes:

However, the prospect of traveling with my son has him reconsidering and now they are going to go next May with us!!

My mom is the same way. She is a widow and is 82 yrs old and has travelled the world. She goes on vacation every year with a couple of her friends. I told her that she should go on a cruise. She has been on many 40 and 50 yrs ago with my father. So she tells me oh no, cruises are only for couples not for singles. I said "mom, that is not true anymore, there are plenty of single ppl on cruises nowadays". Then she tells me that she doesn't have all the fancy clothes. I also told her that they don't dress the same way anymore like they did many years ago. I can't convince her no matter what I say but I bet if one of her friends came up with the idea, she would go.:cool:

I knew the only way I was getting my dad on a cruise....my mom wanted to go.... was to surprise them with it.... so for Christmas 2006 they received a decorated binder about the cruise I purchased for them.... It was for the next December leaving on their anniversary.... and we were all going with them.... my dad was unsure all year about being cooped up on that ship for a week....

Long story short.... when we got back he said next time him and mom might not even get off the ship in ports.... that's how much he loved being "cooped up" on it all week .... and he's trying to convince friends to go with them:rolleyes:

My mom and I have had the hardest time trying to convince her companion that they should go on a cruise! He said he cruised to Europe and back and that was the worse crossing ever. Of course it was during WWII to go to Anzio and then the subsequent foot trip up the continent with the 3rd Infantry!! :rolleyes:

However, the prospect of traveling with my son has him reconsidering and now they are going to go next May with us!!

With my wife's Grandmother, it was very similar: Her husband had been a bomber pilot in WWII and Korea. When he was stationed in Japan during Korea, she moved over there with him for several months and went by ship. She wouldn't believe us about the modern stabilizers and ammenities. Then she saw the pictures. The kicker for her was watching the travel channel stuff and the discussions at the hair solon when she brought the subject up and found that all the other ladies either had been on cruises or knew someone that had.

Offer to go with her--as a Florida resident she can get great deals, all she has to do is show proof that she lives there and you can stay with her pre and post cruise! Then you can reassure her all the way while you enjoy yourself!

This is a great idea. Make it a "get-a-away" for just the two of you. As a person quickly reaching the "geezer" stage (68), I can attest that as one ages, one must make a conscience effort - with determination - to keep interested in new experiences, new places, new people.

The aging process plays dirty tricks upon the body and mind. Keeping active sometimes doesn't seem to be worth the effort... Everything in your body has an "ache" or doesn't work as efficiently as it used to. It is the mind that either keeps you young or sends you to that place where it begins to agree with the body.

If you surprise her - for her birthday, or Mother's Day or just because you love her - she'll go... The main reason she'll go is because she loves you and would never want to disappoint you by turning away your gift or dampening the pleasure YOU display by giving the gift. Oh, and she'll have a great time!!!!

Good luck - and just do it. She'll thank you later..and you will have an extraordinary memory of your mother that will last your lifetime...and hers.

Seems to be that I just buy her a cruise as a done deal.

This I will do as soon as i go over the Carnival's site to find which cruise will give her the most time to visit in Jamaica and the Caymans.

My mom is in her mid 70's and is the young one of the family, many of my aunts are in their late 80's, I think it is important for her to see them before it is too late! And cruising should let her go with my aunts who also live in Miami to visit others on the islands.

Thanks for setting my mind's direction.

Archived