1st Timer Dining Question

Tangtop

First time cruise on Celebrity coming up in November 08; on other cruise lines that I've been on (RCL and Carnival) I usually order multiple appetizers and main courses to try everything. Since Celebrity is a bit more upscale is this frowned upon? Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

You can order what you wish - multiple appetizers, entrees, dessert... whatever. There is no problem. I think you'll find the selection more intesting and varied, but there are no restrictions or 'unspoken' rules. There are also 'standard' steaks and fish (salmon I think) that is available every night if you don't want the menu items, or want to add to them!

I've tried multiples a number of times. Of course, trying to keep the weight off is always a challenge, but I try what I think will be fun/different, and I'll eat a bit and leave the rest. I do walk the track in the AM, and do not use the elevators and so on to try and keep the bulge down.

I love the Celebrity soups and usually end up cutting out something else to try a few, but that is only personal choice.

Have Fun!

Denny

First time cruise on Celebrity coming up in November 08; on other cruise lines that I've been on (RCL and Carnival) I usually order multiple appetizers and main courses to try everything. Since Celebrity is a bit more upscale is this frowned upon? Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

Absolutely not at all. You enjoy those apptizers, salad etc. The exception is the specialty restaurant. There it is not allowed. As for upscale, Celebrity isn't that different than any mass marketed line.

Nita

When my brother in law took his first cruise he informed the waiter that no matter what he ordered he wanted double.He has an amazing metabolism and he is 6 foot 6.Every night on Celebrity he was brought two servings of everything.The worst thing about this is he didn't gain a pound!

When my brother in law took his first cruise he informed the waiter that no matter what he ordered he wanted double.He has an amazing metabolism and he is 6 foot 6.Every night on Celebrity he was brought two servings of everything.The worst thing about this is he didn't gain a pound!

That's just WRONG!;)

Absolutely not at all. You enjoy those apptizers, salad etc. The exception is the specialty restaurant. There it is not allowed. As for upscale, Celebrity isn't that different than any mass marketed line.

Nita

Sometimes you can at the specialty too. At Muranos on Celebrity I was planning on ordering the Steak Diane. The waiter announced that there was a special that night that was a lobster tail (full size, not the small one's generally in the main dining room). I asked if it would be possible to do both and my request was granted.

What can be a problem is if your odering extra food slows up the entire meal for everyone else. I'd just be aware of that. Also, I think it is a bit tacky to order several items and only take a taste with the rest going to waste.

What can be a problem is if your odering extra food slows up the entire meal for everyone else. I'd just be aware of that. Also, I think it is a bit tacky to order several items and only take a taste with the rest going to waste.

I don't think it's tacky at all. I've only done this once or twice, but I've seen others at our table and throughout the dining room do this on many occasions. It's your vacation and you should be able to indulge your curiosity and palate. As for wasteful, it's not as though the food on the ships lasts forever. I'm sure literally tons of food is wasted that is not ever served to or consumed by passengers, so why should the OP feel badly about giving something new a try? I personally think it's more polite to order your multiple appetizers up front than to order something you're unsure of without a "back up plan," and then order an additional appetizer/dish, which forces your table mates to wait longer until the next course can be served.

I've tried multiples a number of times. Of course, trying to keep the weight off is always a challenge, but I try what I think will be fun/different, and I'll eat a bit and leave the rest.

Denny

Now if everybody ordered multiples, ate a bit and left the rest, what do you think the reaction would be.

Ain't you special!

We ordered how we liked; sometimes two appetizers, sometimes things off the menu. We enjoyed trying new things so we could do that easily if each of us ordered something different and then we could taste each others.

I was always amazed at our waiters, as they always brought us too much food! Lots of breads at the beginning, extra french fries for the kids if it looked like they didn't like their main course, always extra desserts so that we could try them all! The biggest surprise was lobster night and everyone that ordered lobster got an extra plate of it and none of us had even mentioned it! :-)

You can order what you wish - multiple appetizers, entrees, dessert... whatever. There is no problem. I think you'll find the selection more intesting and varied, but there are no restrictions or 'unspoken' rules. There are also 'standard' steaks and fish (salmon I think) that is available every night if you don't want the menu items, or want to add to them!

I've tried multiples a number of times. Of course, trying to keep the weight off is always a challenge, but I try what I think will be fun/different, and I'll eat a bit and leave the rest. I do walk the track in the AM, and do not use the elevators and so on to try and keep the bulge down.

I love the Celebrity soups and usually end up cutting out something else to try a few, but that is only personal choice.

Have Fun!

Denny

Al I can say is "Oink, Oink". Read the post below for more opinions on wasteful and overly-selfish habits. Is it any wonder that the cruise lines are having to charge for every little thing these days?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=806625

Now if everybody ordered multiples, ate a bit and left the rest, what do you think the reaction would be.

Ain't you special!

I agree that you shouldn't order multiple items with the intent to have only a bite or two and waste the rest. However, addressing the OP's question, I also don't think it's wrong to order two dishes if there are two on the menu that sound appealling to you, especially if one or both are something the person hasn't tried before and may not have the opportunity to sample again at home. For instance, on our recent cruise, my sister had never had escargot before and wanted to give it a try since she doesn't come accross it ofen at home/in the real world, so she ordered them, but also ordered a second appetizer just in case.

I'm not advocating purposefully wasting food at all. I grew up in a very poor single parent household where the only meal my sister and I were guaranteed to have each day was the free lunch they gave us at school, so I never purposefully waste food or encourage others to do so. However, please try to remember that when we cruise we're on vacation and are entitled to indulge ourselves just a little bit. Also bear in mind that many of your fellow passengers may reside in areas where the access to new/different/interesting cuisine options may be rather limited, so while on a cruise they might want to sample a few new items here or there.

Archived