Hopefully the ultimate Aft thread with Pictures (vent, and beams)

flvol77

I am curious to learn about these cabins (Emerald 748,749,750,751) also. Are they just a typical oceanview cabin with an aft view or is there something distinct about them?

I don't know about porthole windows or if that is true, but I doubt it because these 4 cabins are the highest priced ocean view cabin they have. That is why I picked them. I didn't have any luck when I called Princess, but I may give them a call again. I certainly don't want port hole windows at a premium price. Sure hope someone has a picture.

I don't know about porthole windows or if that is true, but I doubt it because these 4 cabins are the highest priced ocean view cabin they have. That is why I picked them. I didn't have any luck when I called Princess, but I may give them a call again. I certainly don't want port hole windows at a premium price. Sure hope someone has a picture.

I can't believe I searched this long but I can't stand not solving a puzzle. :o

This is the aft of the Emerald

http://picasaweb.google.com/jneves115/EmeraldPrincessHighlights818810Part2?authkey=Gv1sRgCMONoqbhpL6PUA&feat=directlink#5505611403731198098

Looks like they fixed the portholes that were on the Crown and made them into regular windows.

BTW - don't bother calling Princess. I have found the CSRs to be very friendly, nice sources of misinformation!

If you want accuracy stick with CC!!!

Edited by chamima

http://picasaweb.google.com/jneves115/EmeraldPrincessHighlights818810Part2?authkey=Gv1sRgCMONoqbhpL6PUA&feat=directlink#5505611403731198098

Looks like they fixed the portholes that were on the Crown and made them into regular windows.

BTW - don't bother calling Princess. I have found the CSRs to be very friendly, nice sources of misinformation!

Thanks for the photo. The Emerald cabins do have a different arrangement than other Grand class ships. I will file that in my data bank.

Regarding cabin pricing, Princess prices cabins higher in the ship more than identical cabins lower. I don't agree with that premise, but that is why those four ocean view cabins are priced as they are.

Thank you so much. This is the first pics of the aft of the Emerald that I have seen. Now I know what I booked. We chose a oceanview because we taking a repositioning cruise(Quebec to Florida) in late Oct 2012 & it will be too cold out to get much use of a balcony. Again, thanks for your research!

What an amazing thread. It has been the most informative hour or so of reading on CC for a very long time. We are on the Crown Princess in two months and were in BF cabin, Baja deck on the side, but just before final payment today paid a little more to spoil my wife to an aft cabin and picked B755 but after reading the beginning of this thread changed to B748! I cannot believe that there were 3 great aft cabin available this close to sailing, plus one of the ones with the obstructive columns on it (although looking at photos I would think it would not be too annoying.

Thank-you all so very much for all of your input to this thread, it has been so informative. It was great to see all the photos of 'our cabin' or its twin as be abel to picture ourselves with a bottle or two watching the sun set!

One question. For those who have done the ultimate balcony dining thing, what the cost, how do you book it, what is the food like, and what time does it take from set up to pack up? Just very curious now and think it might be brilliant.

Cheers

Neil

Finally after showing TA picture she found someone form princess to confirm the steward is the keymaster. IMHOP the VS/BB with the connecting balcony door are a better layout the family suite (XS) and $2600 cheaper on a 10 day cruise. Thank you cruise critic posters!

We had adjoining cabins with a balcony door. My husband opened/closed the door with a pair of bathroom scissors. We closed it at night so it didn't bang and the kids didn't scare the bejesus out of us!

So, two things- you can do it yourself with any sort of McIvor type thinking and most importantly- those doors aren't as secure as you think!

We had adjoining cabins with a balcony door. My husband opened/closed the door with a pair of bathroom scissors. We closed it at night so it didn't bang and the kids didn't scare the bejesus out of us!

So, two things- you can do it yourself with any sort of McIvor type thinking and most importantly- those doors aren't as secure as you think!

i'll be sure to bring some duct tape to keep it open - thanks for the insight

What an amazing thread. It has been the most informative hour or so of reading on CC for a very long time. We are on the Crown Princess in two months and were in BF cabin, Baja deck on the side, but just before final payment today paid a little more to spoil my wife to an aft cabin and picked B755 but after reading the beginning of this thread changed to B748! I cannot believe that there were 3 great aft cabin available this close to sailing, plus one of the ones with the obstructive columns on it (although looking at photos I would think it would not be too annoying.

Thank-you all so very much for all of your input to this thread, it has been so informative. It was great to see all the photos of 'our cabin' or its twin as be abel to picture ourselves with a bottle or two watching the sun set!

One question. For those who have done the ultimate balcony dining thing, what the cost, how do you book it, what is the food like, and what time does it take from set up to pack up? Just very curious now and think it might be brilliant.

Cheers

Neil

We did the UBD in April on the Sapphire. Cost was $50/pp and worth it IMHO. We went to Sabatini's after boarding and made the reservation there at the same desk that you can make specialty restaurant reservations. You can also call DINE but they don't open until later in the day. We were called several days later to confirm time and our menu. Standard menu was filet and/or lobster. We did both and it was some of the best beef we have had. The entire menu included a bread basket, small appetizers, a salad with apples and candied walnuts, a crab quiche that was a meal by itself, the entree and a dessert of several types of chocolate mousse sandwiched between two slices of dark chocolate. The meal comes with a half bottle of Monopole Piper Brut (not the swill they use for the Champagne waterfall) and a cocktail. We were able to substitute a glass of wine for the cocktail. They came to set up 15 minutes before dinner started and dessert was served about two hours later. We also received three red roses in a vase and a ship's photographer takes many pictures before dinner starts. One free 8x10 is included in the cost of the UBD. I would suggest scheduling for a day when you are in port late if at all possible. It can get windy on the balcony.

We did the UBD in April on the Sapphire. Cost was $50/pp and worth it IMHO. We went to Sabatini's after boarding and made the reservation there at the same desk that you can make specialty restaurant reservations. You can also call DINE but they don't open until later in the day. We were called several days later to confirm time and our menu. Standard menu was filet and/or lobster. We did both and it was some of the best beef we have had. The entire menu included a bread basket, small appetizers, a salad with apples and candied walnuts, a crab quiche that was a meal by itself, the entree and a dessert of several types of chocolate mousse sandwiched between two slices of dark chocolate. The meal comes with a half bottle of Monopole Piper Brut (not the swill they use for the Champagne waterfall) and a cocktail. We were able to substitute a glass of wine for the cocktail. They came to set up 15 minutes before dinner started and dessert was served about two hours later. We also received three red roses in a vase and a ship's photographer takes many pictures before dinner starts. One free 8x10 is included in the cost of the UBD. I would suggest scheduling for a day when you are in port late if at all possible. It can get windy on the balcony.

Thanks for that info. It is a huge help, we will be doing it for sure. We are on aft cabin so the wind shouldn't be a huge issue, but thanks for the tip!

Thanks for that info. It is a huge help, we will be doing it for sure. We are on aft cabin so the wind shouldn't be a huge issue, but thanks for the tip!

We did a UBD on a mexican riviera once from a Caribe corner balcony. Golden C753. Wind was not a problem. In fact it was hot with very little breeze and the ship was booking it down the coast. It is a bit noisy with the prop wash and in a colder climate, it can be down right chilly.

However, the service was impeccable with a waiter and junior waiter at your beck and call for 2 hours. We laughed and talked with both of them and had a great time. The food was great and the view incredible.

The only other balcony dinner that comes close was the dinner in-suite in C751 (room service via the in-suite dining room menu) on the Emerald in Bonaire one night when the ship sailed late. We got to watch the sunset over Bonaire while still in port with a slight breeze, warm weather, nice and quiet. We didn't have the personalized service so I served while Judy just sat there looking beautiful.

Worth every penny of the $50 pp.

I just found your message. We're sailing on the same cruise, and my daughter has already left a message on the boards. I corresponded with a tour guide at Halifax, where rental cars are not readily available on Sundays. He has agreed to take 12 tourists starting at 8 AM for a 5 hour tour seeing some of the historic places in Halifax, out to Peggy's Cove, a stop to hopefully see whales along the coastline, a stop at the Citadel, and a drive by the cemetary for the Titanic victims. We would bring a snack from the ship, and eat a late lunch back on the ship at 1 PM. We are looking for 7 more tourists to join us. Would you mind copying this and posting it where it needs to go? Thanks!

I just found your message. We're sailing on the same cruise, and my daughter has already left a message on the boards. I corresponded with a tour guide at Halifax, where rental cars are not readily available on Sundays. He has agreed to take 12 tourists starting at 8 AM for a 5 hour tour seeing some of the historic places in Halifax, out to Peggy's Cove, a stop to hopefully see whales along the coastline, a stop at the Citadel, and a drive by the cemetary for the Titanic victims. We would bring a snack from the ship, and eat a late lunch back on the ship at 1 PM. We are looking for 7 more tourists to join us. Would you mind copying this and posting it where it needs to go? Thanks!

Who are you talking to lacuna?

• 5 weeks later...
Check the photo of E734/E735 on post #6. D735 should be much the same.

I have been in D736 on Ruby and the deck is deeper on the Dolphin deck compared to the Emerald. I have been told the Emerald deck inside cabin area is a bit larger than the Dolphin..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello flvo177

I spent ages disecting the fantastic 'photos of the aft-facing balconies on Ruby, and want to refer your link to a friend - but it has gone!

Has it been removed, or am I being stupid?

Could you please let me have the link connection?

Best regards, and thanks for super post.

Poole

Many thanks to all who advised me on the aft-facing balconies in Azura (and similar ships).

Having seen the great pictures by flvo177, I have decided to go for a "side-facing" balcony!

Poole

Many thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

We just got back from our July 1 - 10 sailing on the Caribbean Princess. We had C753 corner aft and the kids were just down the small hallway in C747 interior cabin.

It was an AWESOME location for us!! The cabin was great and the views were amazing. The location very quiet and private. I would book this cabin again in a heartbeat!

For anyone interested please check out the videos in my signature below.

There is footage of both C753 & C747 cabins, the balcony & the little hallway leading to the interior cabin from C753. Also any of the wake footage was taken from our balcony. In Part 2 at the very end is the view we had leaving St Thomas. It was just beautiful.

Again thanks for starting this thread. :)

Edited by Chesneygirl

We just got back from our July 1 - 10 sailing on the Caribbean Princess. We had C753 corner aft and the kids were just down the small hallway in C747 interior cabin.

It was an AWESOME location for us!! The cabin was great and the views were amazing. The location very quiet and private. I would book this cabin again in a heartbeat!

There is footage of both C753 & C747 cabins, the balcony & the little hallway leading to the interior cabin from C753. Also any of the wake footage was taken from our balcony. In Part 2 at the very end is the view we had leaving St Thomas. It was just beautiful.

C753 is our favorite cabin!

Thanks for the GREAT videos!!!!! You really captured your vacation - i felt like I cruised along with you.

(What bars/beaches did you go to? They looked like a lot of fun!)

Edited by chamima

Very cool videos! Nice job. We are on the crown this December in a similar aft cabin!

Thanks for the great video. We've had that cabin too.

How did you manage to have the kids in their own cabin?