Cruising Alone

Do your husbands ever go on fishing trips, or other types of trips without you?

Actually, I go on those fishing trips with my husband. We do almost everything together! We have done this for over 20 years now, and still don't want to spend any time apart. :D

But we are pretty unique when it comes to that. I don't know anyone else that likes to spend that much time together. I am very lucky for that! :)

...Has anyone ever done this and if so did you meet people and was it fun or lonely? ...

Steve

I frequently cruise solo and always have a great time. If I'm looking for peace and quiet, it's easily found. If I'm looking for social time, I (like others) find a favorite lounge and get to know the regulars and the bartenders. Join in activities that you enjoy, request a large table for dinner, and you'll have a great time!

Jan

I am a married man who is thinking about taking back to back cruises alone so I can get my status to diamond. Believe it or not, it is actually cheaper with the single supplement on the cruises than it would be to take my wife;after the double airfares,tips,shore excursions,bar bill,etc. I have more cruise credits than she so it makes sense for me to do this so we both would benefit by me being diamond.

Has anyone ever done this and if so did you meet people and was it fun or lonely? I am not interested in cheating on my wife or anything like that. I just fear I may be lonely. All of my male friends are either too cheap or henpecked to go.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Steve

PS. My wife is ok with this except she is a bit jealous that I will be cruising without her.

I have cruised without my husband and will be doing it again in September. When I do, I cruise with my sister or friends. With that being said I would have no problem cruising alone. I think you will have a great time.

There are some good points in the previous posts. I would suggest having your wife read this thread, then discuss it. If after the discussion you both still think it is a good idea, then go ahead and book. :)

Actually, I go on those fishing trips with my husband. We do almost everything together! We have done this for over 20 years now, and still don't want to spend any time apart. :D

But we are pretty unique when it comes to that. I don't know anyone else that likes to spend that much time together. I am very lucky for that! :)

aloha43... we are unique also..We are like you, he wouldn't think of cruising without me. (I love it to much :p ) We do everything together also..Its not that we are in each others back pockets or each others face every minute. We each have very different hobbies, but I LOVE CRUISING and he wouldn't go without me knowing how much I loved it, whether I said go or not he wouldn't go without me. After being married 28 years he cares how I feel and that is why we have been married 28 years....:D I also am very lucky..He know me so well that I don't think he would even ask...

I would would let her go on her weekend, & you go on a short weekend with some buddies, fishing, hiking, biking, golfing or whatever is your hobby, and when you both come home do the BTB cruise... Everyone is happy (I bet she will be really happy;) ) :)

Your initial post was about cruising to get to diamond and being too "cheap" to bring your wife and your friends were too "cheap or henpecked" to go with you. Nowhere was there any mention of a sick friend who now can't go and a wife that was going to be away with her daughter. You did mention a wife that was jealous of you cruising without her. Those are the facts I based my response on.

Now, based on your subsequent post, I have also taken a cruise without my spouse while he was on a boy scout trip with our son. Though it was supposed to be a mother/daughter cruise with my mom, she ended up bringing two of her friends. I was the only one who had never cruised at the time, traveling with three people who had cruised the same ship and itinerary and didn't need to go to the shows or go on excursions because they had "done them all before" or do much else other than play cards. So, no, I wouldn't cruise without my husband again. We like to do the same things or at least make the effort to do things the other wants to try.

If you can find someone to travel with while your wife is away, go for it, but I wouldn't just go on a cruise with the sole aim being to become diamond. C&A status isn't as important to me as a vacation with my husband.

I never said I was too cheap to take my wife with me. To state it a better way, even using her term, it is more cost effective to go without her. We live in the north so airfares are not cheap.

We both have traveled extensively on business without each other. I had forgotten, a bit over ayear ago, she & her daughter traveled to another city to a basketball game for the weekend and I didn't go.

I don't want this to sound like a competion of who can take the most vacations without each other. That's not the case at all. Also I know full well some women speak a different language; ie if you ask what's wrong and they say nothing it's never nothing!

One person said my idea was bizzzare. Well you are certainly entitled to you opinion but I respectfully disagree.

As for diamond status, my fear is RCCL may change the number of cruises required to reach diamond status and with me needing only 2 more credits I wanted to hurry up and get diamond before it gets changed. I know there are a ton of diamond and diamond + so I want to join them.

Lastly I will say if my wife really has a problem with me taking a cruise without her I won't go at all. I am not one who goes on fishing trips with friends or bowling, golf etc. I do enjoy cruising and have 15 prior cruises.

Steve

Steve,

how absolutely wonderful to find someone else that is married, but not sewn at the hip to their spouse! My husband and I have been married for 44 and 1/2 years. And we value our together time and our alone time too.

In our younger years, my husband was an avid skier, I was not, so I did not mind him going to CA or CO to ski with friends or alone. I love cruising and have cruised alone on a couple of cruises. He is not able to cruise as often as I do and he does not mind that I go either alone or with a friend. When cruising alone, it is great not to not have to wait for someone to finish dressing so you can go to dinner, or go ashore. It is also nice not to have to concern yourself about "havng" to do what your cruising partner wants to do and just wonderful doing what you want when you want. Most of my married friends are too chicken or afraid to leave their hubbies alone. And in a few cases, quite frankly they don't trust their husbands, how very, very sad for them. What a wonderful feeling it is to trust your spouse and to know they trust you too.

Not knowing you of course one would not know if you will feel lonely on a cruise. And there is a difference I think in being lonely and in being alone. Heck I know couples that are married, they cruise together and they are still lonely!!:confused: I don't mind being alone and on a cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Annieeee

Steve,

One option is a Junior Suite. Book one trip in a JS and you get 2 points. Only if it's less expensive than a b2b in a inside of course.

I know where you're coming from with reaching Diamond. I took a short 5 dayer in May to reach Diamond. Of course I got the cruise dirt cheap. But I too was worried about them changing the number.

good luck and happy cruising.

Steve,

One option is a Junior Suite. Book one trip in a JS and you get 2 points. Only if it's less expensive than a b2b in a inside of course.

I know where you're coming from with reaching Diamond. I took a short 5 dayer in May to reach Diamond. Of course I got the cruise dirt cheap. But I too was worried about them changing the number.

good luck and happy cruising.

I looked at both of us going in a Jr. Suite and the cruise & air costs still were $1,100 more not to add tips,bar bill, etc. than me going alone.

Steve

I don't think people have a problem with you crusing alone.. Your wife enjoys cruising also, I think people can't fathom why you would go without her,when she enjoys it as much as you..and they are putting themselves in her shoes not yours...your going she isn't..:( Almost everyone on these boards are cruise addicts;) ...They love it and would rather cruise than do anything else. So I don't think they are throwing stones they are just thinking "boy if I was that wife I would not be a happy camper" My DH always says "as far as $$ goes...we can always make more":D

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with you going alone, it's just that a lot of us married people think it sounds a bit odd because WE would never choose to cruise alone, but that doesn't mean you can't.

What I can tell you is that I am Diamond, and if that is your only real reason for doing it, don't bother. Being Diamond is a nice perk, but it's not supposed to be the sole reason you cruise.

And now that everyone and their dog is being allowed in the CL anyway, being Diamond means even less than it used to.

So if you want to cruise alone just becuase you want to cruise alone, that's fine, have a fabulous time. But don't just do it for the Diamond status, you'll be disappointed.

I have the solution...rather than YOU going to achieve your next level, since she's got less....send HER on the requisite number to get her to YOUR current status, then BOTH of you go and reach your ?Diamond? (I think it was diamond) together, and BOTH get the perks... ;)

I have the solution...rather than YOU going to achieve your next level, since she's got less....send HER on the requisite number to get her to YOUR current status, then BOTH of you go and reach your ?Diamond? (I think it was diamond) together, and BOTH get the perks... ;)

If she had more credits than me I would have no problem with her going. The solution you offered would cost way more than me taking a BTB cruise. I am trying to be cost effective not foolish.

Steve

If receiving 2 cruise credits to reach diamond is the ONLY reason for this then why not just book a JS on the 3 night Majesty and get your 2 credits. The cost is about the same as booking an interior cabin for a B2B for 7 nights. Your bar bill will be less and less tips to pay. Of course unless you'd rather be away for a week.

If receiving 2 cruise credits to reach diamond is the ONLY reason for this then why not just book a JS on the 3 night Majesty and get your 2 credits. The cost is about the same as booking an interior cabin for a B2B for 7 nights. Your bar bill will be less and less tips to pay. Of course unless you'd rather be away for a week.

I'm sratching my head why so many of you think I have another reason other than receiving 2 more credits. :confused: I checked a 3 day single in a jr. suite and it ranges anywhere from $200-$400 more for the cruise alone than it would if I did the BTB with airfare in the cheapest cabin.

I have tried every possibility and this seems the cost efficient way to do it.

Steve

Steve, I went on the Majesty earlier in the year and had a great time...the bartenders, and the rest of the staff, are very friendly. Not sure when you're going, but the Schooner bar is usually packed during the NFL season. Very fun atmoshpere.

I love CruiseCritic, I amaze my family / friends with the info I get from it! BUT, I must admit, you have to be crafty and vague when asking a generic question. If you just left the Title "Crusing Alone" and in the body "Has anyone ever done this and if so did you meet people and was it fun or lonely? All of my male friends are either too cheap or henpecked to go", you would've gotten great responses and not three pages of marital advice and how others live their lives.

Tim

What i find bizarre is you're trying to get to diamond and talking about cost effective and worried about traveling alone.

I cruise every year without DH on my annual girls cruise and twice a year with hubby for pleasure. It's not about cruising alone because you have to but, cruising without your willing wife to save a buck. Why not just cruise when you can afford to and not worry about becoming diamond.

If RCL would sell their tiers you'd buy it without cruising wouldn't you?

What i find bizarre is you're trying to get to diamond and talking about cost effective and worried about traveling alone.

I cruise every year without DH on my annual girls cruise and twice a year with hubby for pleasure. It's not about cruising alone because you have to but, cruising without your willing wife to save a buck. Why not just cruise when you can afford to and not worry about becoming diamond.

If RCL would sell their tiers you'd buy it without cruising wouldn't you?

It is quite different traveling alone not knowing anyone than traveling with girlfriends on a girls cruise. My wife and just got back from a vacation down south last week. We were at an all-inclusive in Cancun in Feb. 08. She already has 2 trips planned to go see her daughter at college (I'm not going by the way). So it's not like I am going on vacation and we/she has not been on one.

What I find bizarre is it seems it is a double standard for you to go on a vacation without your husband but if I go without my wife it is a no-no.

Steve

To the OP:

You are getting these types of responses because the way in which your post is worded, and the tone, makes some of us married folks feel a bit icky, that's all.

It's clear to me that you've made up your mind to go B to B solo for the credits, so why even ask, just go. You don't need our permission, it's your wife you should be concerned about.

Just to let you know, sometimes we wives say we are fine with an idea just because we are hoping that our husbands have enough sense and judgment to know we are not really fine with it at all, we just want you boys to figure it out for yourselves without us having to point it out to you.;)

If you go, and if your beautiful wife is fine with it, have a great time, but as a wife, I would bet good money she isn't fine with it at all.

Guest scfjjb
It is quite different traveling alone not knowing anyone than traveling with girlfriends on a girls cruise. My wife and just got back from a vacation down south last week. We were at an all-inclusive in Cancun in Feb. 08. She already has 2 trips planned to go see her daughter at college (I'm not going by the way). So it's not like I am going on vacation and we/she has not been on one.

What I find bizarre is it seems it is a double standard for you to go on a vacation without your husband but if I go without my wife it is a no-no.

Steve

Steve,

Great point regarding double standard Steve! Go and have fun. (P.S. - DH and I take vacations apart and together.... if I tell him it is okay to go I mean it... I'm not plotting some bizarre revenge afterward).

Steve

A double standard would be saying you shouldn't go on an all boys cruise which is not what I'm saying.

To be blunt.............if it weren't for the extra air and bar tab (your words) you'd take your wife so essentially you are CHEAP!

Archived