Cruising Alone

I am a married man who is thinking about taking back to back cruises alone so I can get my status to diamond. Believe it or not, it is actually cheaper with the single supplement on the cruises than it would be to take my wife;after the double airfares,tips,shore excursions,bar bill,etc. I have more cruise credits than she so it makes sense for me to do this so we both would benefit by me being diamond.

Has anyone ever done this and if so did you meet people and was it fun or lonely? I am not interested in cheating on my wife or anything like that. I just fear I may be lonely. All of my male friends are either too cheap or henpecked to go.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Steve

PS. My wife is ok with this except she is a bit jealous that I will be cruising without her.

I think I would much rather cruise with my wife, than try to get to Diamond status by cruising without her. Just my $.02, but if you both are fine with it, that's good.

I'm sure you will meet people and not be bored on your cruise. Many singles cruise alone and are willing to strike up conversations and friendships. There are so many things to see and do onboard, you will not feel bored.

Eric

I cruised alone on Empress in January. I got a small oceanview for the same price as an interior. It was a mostly Spanish speaking cruise but how do you define loneliness? If I saw someone trying to take pictures of their family, I offered to take the picture so that person could be included in the photo. They all had minimal English, and all happliy consented to my offer. I had gone to the DR to ask if my tablemates were English speaking and it turns out only 1 was. So I would have eaten in WJ had I known I'd be eating in silence. But other than that I enjoyed myself because I got to do what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. If I was a dancer I could have to the VCL to dance or watch the Merengue contest. If you want to have fun alone you have to participate...get out there!

Why not you take one leg of the cruise and the wife take the other--then she won't be so jealous!

I can't imagine my husband taking a cruise alone just to get to the next level--I'd be totally pissed if he were to do that! (And, you can bet on it--he WON'T be doing that!)

Jeez.

Have you thought about taking b2b shorter (less expensive) cruises? That way you can get to Diamond and bring your wife. Personally, I could do this as well, as Im ahead of DH by a few cruises, but would never want to. I would see it as more of a waste of money, as I wouldnt be crusing with him.

For the price of one 7 nighter, you might be able to take 2 or 3 three nighters on a small ship (monarch/majest/sovereign). You'd still save on airfare, as it will be b2b, plus your DW could come with you. Just book the cheapest inside you can find.

I think I would much rather cruise with my wife, than try to get to Diamond status by cruising without her. Just my $.02, but if you both are fine with it, that's good.

Me too (well, I am a woman), I don't think that Diamond Status is worth it... Ok, I am sure it is nice to have, but it is "icing on the cake" - the cake being sharing the cruise with your loved one (the icing is lost without the cake ;) ).

Ok the other thing to be aware of is that women aren't always upfront with their feelings (I can say that as I am a woman) - we sometimes play down disappointment or whether we are upset (but it may well blow up later). If you wife says that she is a "little bit jealous", she may well be underplaying her emotions... just a thought. Everybody is different, but don't underestimate her feelings (even if she says that she is "fine" with the idea).

If you fear that you will be lonely, then presumably you will miss your wife too... If cost is an issue, why not go for a cheaper (possibly land based) vacation just the two of you. Diamond status is nothing - quality time together is everything :)

Whatever you decide, have a good time. :)

Boo

If you are a drinker (even a little), make friends with the bartenders in a couple of different bars onboard. On the first day, especially towards late afternoon, many of the bars will be open. Find one where the bartender is not busy, and sit there and have a drink. Make pleasant conversation. The bartender WILL remember you and you'll get a "happy to see a familiar face" greeting on return visits, which can go a long way towards making you feel less disconnected from your fellow pax.

As someone who has always been very independent and completely values stretches of personal, alone time, I don't think you're as insane as others might say. ;)

That said, if I were your wife I'd be pretty bummed out. And traveling alone is really only fun for the first couple of days. After that you keep wanting to say, "Oh, look at that --" or, "Did you see the -- " or, "My god, those stupid drunks by the pool are so -- " but you have no-one to say it to.

Traveling alone for a long weekend is great. Traveling alone for more than that? I'd think twice.

women aren't always upfront with their feelings (I can say that as I am a woman) - we sometimes play down disappointment or whether we are upset (but it may well blow up later). If you wife says that she is a "little bit jealous", she may well be underplaying her emotions... just a thought. Everybody is different, but don't underestimate her feelings (even if she says that she is "fine" with the idea).

I couldnt agree with this more ... I would be very angry with my husband to even suggest this. Maybe your wife really understands, but I know I often hide my feelings and then they come out later ... in a big way! :)

Me too (well, I am a woman), I don't think that Diamond Status is worth it... Ok, I am sure it is nice to have, but it is "icing on the cake" - the cake being sharing the cruise with your loved one (the icing is lost without the cake ;) ).

Ok the other thing to be aware of is that women aren't always upfront with their feelings (I can say that as I am a woman) - we sometimes play down disappointment or whether we are upset (but it may well blow up later). If you wife says that she is a "little bit jealous", she may well be underplaying her emotions... just a thought. Everybody is different, but don't underestimate her feelings (even if she says that she is "fine" with the idea).

If you fear that you will be lonely, then presumably you will miss your wife too... If cost is an issue, why not go for a cheaper (possibly land based) vacation just the two of you. Diamond status is nothing - quality time together is everything :)

Whatever you decide, have a good time. :)

Boo

I agree. I was just trying to think of a way to explain the "emotions".

I would never go on a cruise without my husband....and he wouldn't go without me. I can't imagine it either way. We do almost everything together, and hate to be apart for any amount of time.

IMO - Forget diamond and cruise together....neither of you will be lonely that way. :)

I think if you are okay with it and an outgoing person then you'll have no problem making friends cruising alone. I would agree that going to a bar or two on the first day/night is a great way to meet people and start off.

I will also say though that I have diamond status and IMHO it isn't really worth doing what you're doing just to get it; the 'extras' aren't that exciting. They certainly aren't worth spending the money on just to acheive them. It seems you and your wife enjoy cruising so why not just wait until you have been on a few more with her? You'll get diamond status that way as well and you won't have to worry about cruising alone or getting lonely and bored.

I agree. I was just trying to think of a way to explain the "emotions".

I would never go on a cruise without my husband....and he wouldn't go without me. I can't imagine it either way. We do almost everything together, and hate to be apart for any amount of time.

IMO - Forget diamond and cruise together....neither of you will be lonely that way. :)

Ditto... plus husband would be LOST without me... ;) (who would tell him what to wear for dinner ;) ).

If my husband wanted to go on a cruise without me, I wouldn't be jealous of him enjoying the cruise, I would be jealous of the cruise enjoying him and taking him away from me - if that makes sense. Not an easy thing to admit to, but... :)

Boo

Ditto... plus husband would be LOST without me... ;) (who would tell him what to wear for dinner ;) ).

If my husband wanted to go on a cruise without me, I wouldn't be jealous of him enjoying the cruise, I would be jealous of the cruise enjoying him and taking him away from me - if that makes sense. Not an easy thing to admit to, but... :)

Boo

That makes total sense! I feel exactly the same way. :)

Well the original plan was to go with a male friend of mine (another married man) but he is having some health issues now.

Let me elaborate a bit further. My wife has a daughter in college ( a step-daughter for me) that she goes to visit occasionally (just for mother-daughter time). My wife has also talked about taking a weekend trip with her daughter without me. I have no problem with this. Why is me taking a cruise without her with a friend or without any different than this?

I was looking at taking 2 short cruises BTB (Majesty) so it would already be cheaper. To the one who suggested taking her with me on the short cruises the cost would be doubled after adding tips,bar bill airfare etc. I am looking as doing this being very budget minded; booking the cheapest cabin & not taking any shore excursions except the private island.

We were on Soverign last year and we met a couple of people (through CC) who were traveling without their spouses just to get to diamond status so obviously I am not the only one who thinks this way.

My first couple of cruises I went alone but I was single then and I actually hooked up with a singles group going before the cruises. I didn't have any trouble meeting people. I do want to meet people but again I'm not interested in cheating or meeting anyone for anything other than conversation or just hanging out.

I had even thought about seeing if I could get paired up to share a cabin, but I wouldn't want to end up with someone weird and I do snore when I sleep so that might be an issue!

It is not an issue for me about what to wear formal or otherwise. I always pack my own suitcase and my wife is amazed how I plan every outfit for everyday with other possible options.

Steve

You asked so I'll yield an opinion, it's bizarre. A cruise should be an enjoyable get away. If you took your wife and made a holiday of it that would be more reasonable to my way of thinking. Consider taking wife and getting a Jr. Suite for 2 cruise credits. I took a 2 night cruise on princess two months ago to advance to their elite level but i drove to port and took DH and had a nice time. Getting to elite on princess is much more worth while then Diamond on RCL.

I have no problem with this. Why is me taking a cruise without her with a friend or without any different than this?

Just because you may not have a problem with it, doesn't mean that your wife wont (although maybe she wont). There are lots of things that don't annoy my husband, that would annoy me. ;)

Different relationships are different - I know. My sister-in-law has gone off to Canada, to visit a friend, without her husband. And, later in the year, her husband has gone to Japan with mates to watch the soccer. Another friend of mine, her husband went off to Europe on a ski holiday leaving her alone with their 6 month old baby...

If you are sure that your wife is 100% ok with it (and not even a "little bit jealous"...), then that is great. Even if not, then it is your life and your choice. Just trying to let you know that when women say "fine", they don't always mean it... :o

Despite that, even in this hardened group of cruisers (do they come any more hardened??? ;) ), there aren't an awful lot of people who can see the sense in "cruising without a spouse to get diamond"... If you want to go off on vacation alone then that is a different matter, but to do it for Diamond seems odd.

Have fun.

Boo

I am someone who attended several "hippie" weddings back in the 60's where the couple exchanged vows with words from "The Prophet". The only phrase I ever remember is "let there be spaces in your togetherness". DH and I are in our late 50's and only got married four years ago. That means we both have years with our families without the other one. We do things separately with our respective family members (and things together too). I went with my husband the first time he flew out to L.A. to see his son. They wanted to play golf together, go to guitar stores together and just have father/son chats. They left me (albeit at a very nice hotel) and headed out. They need time together. Now, they've added renting motorcycles to their mix. There is no reason whatsoever for me to fly to L.A. too. Correspondingly, I've done two mother/daughter cruises with my daughter and I will fly to NYC to do a mother/son weekend this fall. I need time with just my kids too. I know my DH doesn't love me any less because he wants family time, and he knows I don't love him any less because I do.

It's just a different scenario when you blend a family when you are older.

In short, if you think you'll be happy and you and your wife are at peace with your decision, you don't need us.

P.S. I just finished booking a single room for one of our married friends who's decided to come along with us on our Indy cruise in February. He loves to cruise - his wife does not.

Your initial post was about cruising to get to diamond and being too "cheap" to bring your wife and your friends were too "cheap or henpecked" to go with you. Nowhere was there any mention of a sick friend who now can't go and a wife that was going to be away with her daughter. You did mention a wife that was jealous of you cruising without her. Those are the facts I based my response on.

Now, based on your subsequent post, I have also taken a cruise without my spouse while he was on a boy scout trip with our son. Though it was supposed to be a mother/daughter cruise with my mom, she ended up bringing two of her friends. I was the only one who had never cruised at the time, traveling with three people who had cruised the same ship and itinerary and didn't need to go to the shows or go on excursions because they had "done them all before" or do much else other than play cards. So, no, I wouldn't cruise without my husband again. We like to do the same things or at least make the effort to do things the other wants to try.

If you can find someone to travel with while your wife is away, go for it, but I wouldn't just go on a cruise with the sole aim being to become diamond. C&A status isn't as important to me as a vacation with my husband.

Have any of you women ever taken a girl's cruise, and left your husband at home? I have, and had a wonderful time each time. I also cruise with other women that do the same thing. Couples do not have to be attached at the hip 24/7. Do your husbands ever go on fishing trips, or other types of trips without you?

People have different circumstances as to why they travel separately. For some, they need their space. I know of one couple that never travels together at all. I am not saying that is a good thing, but it happens.

The key to this whole thing is if the wife is really upset. If so, it isn't a good idea, but it is not our place to judge how they choose to vacation. As the OP says, she gets her time away, too. Why shouldn't he? You may not like his reasoning, but if you have to fly to a port, it really does get expensive. How many CC'ers are rushing to book more cruises to raise themselves to Diamond before rumoured changes come in? From the sounds of things, quite a few.:rolleyes: Count me in there.

To answer the OP's question, ask for a large table at dinner to get to know people. Join in on activities around the ship. Sign onto your roll call, and see if anyone wants to meet for sailaway.

I'm not even going to comment on going on a cruise without your wife. If she's okay with it, that's all that counts.

As a single woman, I've taken about 5 cruises on my own. I've never lacked for company (no, not like that!!!). I always seem to manage to meet people early in the cruise, either at dinner or at one of the bars. End up spending time during the week with them. Or not, if I'd rather have the quiet time. Also the suggestion to hit a quiet bar as soon as you board is a good one. My first day on Liberty I went to the Sky Bar right after I boarded. As I was the second one to board the ship I was the first at the bar. Made friends with the bartenders and they always, always greeted me by name after that.

You can have a great time cruising alone. I say go for it.

I am a married man who is thinking about taking back to back cruises alone so I can get my status to diamond. Believe it or not, it is actually cheaper with the single supplement on the cruises than it would be to take my wife;after the double airfares,tips,shore excursions,bar bill,etc. I have more cruise credits than she so it makes sense for me to do this so we both would benefit by me being diamond.

Has anyone ever done this and if so did you meet people and was it fun or lonely? I am not interested in cheating on my wife or anything like that. I just fear I may be lonely. All of my male friends are either too cheap or henpecked to go.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Steve

PS. My wife is ok with this except she is a bit jealous that I will be cruising without her.

My first RCCL was solo and while I was very lonely at times...I still had fun.

Archived