Live from the Victory

dznymom

Still having a great time! Have I mentioned that I LOVE MY STATEROOM?

Okay, trying to remember your questions but I am drawing a blank and my minutes are getting low so I am writing this in Word. I didn’t see any themed deck party at all, but last night there was a 50’s/60’s party in the Disco. I didn’t attend so I have no idea how many people dressed up, but the capers did encourage costumes.

Oh, to the person that asked about Malcolm, he expects to be with the ship through her repos in the fall, although he may leave her after she gets settled in San Juan. I was not able to find out about Eddie Capone.

I enjoyed both days in port, although I did not book ship’s excursions. In St. John I wandered around in Market Square and the general area near the ship. I sat outside at St John Ale House for awhile and drank delicious Clancy’s Ale and munched some haddock & chips while I people watched. I purchased a couple of things at the craft fair, and had a very nice day. One of my table mates did 2 tours – a river cruise and a lobster lunch, She said they were both very good, although she felt the lobster lunch could have been longer. Another took the trolley and enjoyed it, and one was happy with the city tour. I didn’t come across anyone unhappy with ship’s tours.

Today in Halifax, I did a Pub Tour of my own design with a little help from previous posters on Cruise Critic. Unfortunately, I left my preplanned tour behind, so I had to wing it. First stop was right off the pier at Garrison’s, where they only sell sample sizes or you can purchase 6-packs or bottles to go. I enjoyed the sampler, with the RED being my favorite, although the amber was pretty tasty too. From there I found my way to Alexander Keith’s where I took the one hour tour. The cost for the tour ran me $18 American, and I got 2 decent sized glasses of beer included, so it was a decent value. The tour guides sang and gave us a cute historical presentation which was fun. I didn’t love the beers, though. Next I found my way to Granite Brewery where I tried a red called Peculiar and one called Special Bitter, I think. They were both quite good, and I had a nice chat with the owner and the staff. Frtom there I wandered around until I stumbled upon Rogues Roost which might have been my favorite, I tried their sampler of 7 beers which were all very good. I also tried a local dish called poutine, which is French fries with gravy and cheese. It’s a wonder I didn’t die of heart failure on the spot, but it tasted wicked good!

I staggered back to the ship (luckily it was downhill from there) ordered a sandwich from room service and I am now going to take a nap!

Oh. the shows have been very good, and I even enjoyed the magician ( I am NOT a fan of magic). Food in the dining room has been good, too. Service is very good, and I think the crew in the Voctory is top notch.

More later!

Thanks for your live review. I am sailing August 18, and now I can't wait more than ever! We are trying to think of excursions to do, but it's nice to know we can keep ourselves busy without going one one!

Did you happen to notice if the Victory offered a Galley tour? I've heard yes and now, and I really hope it's YES. Though, if not, I'm sure I'll still enjoy the cruise.

Also, why did you lvoe your stateroom so much?

Welcome back dznymom! Though I know you wish you didn't here those words and you were hearing "Welcome aboard!" instead.

Is it located on the Port Side or Starboard side? I have a cabin on Port Side.

Port=Left

Starboard=Right

I heard so much about this waterfall it's a must see.

DM wants to see the Statue of Liberty from our Cabin.

Can anyone help?

THANKS in advance!!

Is it located on the Port Side or Starboard side? I have a cabin on Port Side.

Port=Left

Starboard=Right

I heard so much about this waterfall it's a must see.

DM wants to see the Statue of Liberty from our Cabin.

Can anyone help?

THANKS in advance!!

Statue of Liberty will be on the starboard side as you sail out of New York.

The waterfalls if you can see any of them will be off the port side on the East River and aren't very pretty in the daylight.

Happy Cruising,

Laura

Well, I am home now :( But this cruise on the Victory exceeded my expectations in almost every way!

There was a galley tour offered on the last sea day at, I think, 4pm. I missed it, as was a frequent theme throughout my cruise! In general, I was always pretty happy where I was and often forgot to keep my eye on the time for the things I thought I wanted to do. But, I will just have to book this again for next year to do everything I missed :)

I plan to do a full review after I catch up pon my sleep, but I will be happy to answer more questions here.

It was very foggy, so I was happy that I had not committed to an excursion. I had planned on doing the DUCK tour if the weather was good, but it wasn't so I didn't. One friend who took the Fisherman's Cove tour said it was very nice, but they couldn't see much of anything from the water. I just spent the day Pub Hopping. I had a wonderful day!

We're leaving on the Victory Monday 8/4 on the 5-night trip. Going with some college roomates (and spouses) from way back. Thanks for all the positive posts!

CT Mak

Hi CT Mak :)

Does CT stand for Connecticut? I am curious because we live in Connecticut and will be on your cruise.

Thanks for your live review. I am sailing August 18, and now I can't wait more than ever! We are trying to think of excursions to do, but it's nice to know we can keep ourselves busy without going one one!

Did you happen to notice if the Victory offered a Galley tour? I've heard yes and now, and I really hope it's YES. Though, if not, I'm sure I'll still enjoy the cruise.

Also, why did you lvoe your stateroom so much?

Welcome back dznymom! Though I know you wish you didn't here those words and you were hearing "Welcome aboard!" instead.

On our 5/26 Victory cruise to the Bahamas they had a galley tour on our last day at sea, starting at 4 pm in the Atlantic dining room. It was not listed in Carnival Capers and we found out about it from our matre d' the night before. Some pix at my blog, http://americansabroad.blogspot.com then click on the "Bahamas Cruise" link.

i got off 7/21 and we wore our bathing suits about 50% of the time on while we were on the boat. we mainly hung out in the hottubs, but took a dip or two in the pools ...better to have them with you and not use them then wish you would have brought them...

as for music, ehh.. the coverband was sorta cheesy same music over and over.. bring the ipod..

yittlesandboone,

Did it look like people were purchasing tours on the jetboat at the port, last minute?

Do you think it's worth doing that versus purchasing the same trip (I imagine it's the same) through Carnival for more $?

Archived