Live from the Victory

dznymom

Gonna make this short, but I am very pleased so far, particularly after some of the reports I read. Boarding was a piece of cake, as was driving to the port from NH. Going past the Statue of Liberty was awe inspiring, and going under the Verazano Bridge was just plain freaky!!

My room (the coveted 1A #2445) is perfect! Dinner last night was good, as was the service. I think Malcolm, the cruise director is fine. Loved the comedian last night - Eddie Capone. Tonight is his naughty show, which I am looking forward to. Oh, and I also find the ship decor is fun. Some of it is quite lovely, with a smattering of oddly bizarre pieces. Compared to the Sensation, the Victory is quite glamorous!

Lots of kids onboard, and so far they are well behaved and some of them are just plain adorable. I do have late seating, so only saw a few in our area of the dining room. One negative so far, which is the long lines for breakfast this morning around 9:30. Huge backup for the dining room, and very long lines at the buffets and the omelet stations (they only do ONE omelet at a time :rolleyes: ) I will get up a little earlier on the next sea day!

Anyyway, I will check back in a day or 2, so if you have any quick questions I will try to answer.

Gonna make this short, but I am very pleased so far, particularly after some of the reports I read. Boarding was a piece of cake, as was driving to the port from NH. Going past the Statue of Liberty was awe inspiring, and going under the Verazano Bridge was just plain freaky!!

My room (the coveted 1A #2445) is perfect! Dinner last night was good, as was the service. I think Malcolm, the cruise director is fine. Loved the comedian last night - Eddie Capone. Tonight is his naughty show, which I am looking forward to. Oh, and I also find the ship decor is fun. Some of it is quite lovely, with a smattering of oddly bizarre pieces. Compared to the Sensation, the Victory is quite glamorous!

Lots of kids onboard, and so far they are well behaved and some of them are just plain adorable. I do have late seating, so only saw a few in our area of the dining room. One negative so far, which is the long lines for breakfast this morning around 9:30. Huge backup for the dining room, and very long lines at the buffets and the omelet stations (they only do ONE omelet at a time :rolleyes: ) I will get up a little earlier on the next sea day!

Anyyway, I will check back in a day or 2, so if you have any quick questions I will try to answer.

Hi! We just left the Victory yesterday. My Mom was in 2445. She loved the room. We were in 7273. It was a good location. We found that early is best for the buffets and open seating!

Enjoy!

Thanks for taking the time from the cruise to post a live thread! Much appreciated.

Eddie Capone is HILARIOUS. We saw him in Jan on the Victory and I almost wet my pants from laughing so hard...aaahhhhaaa. His Adult show is even better. Be prepared!

Can you find out if Malcolm will be on the victory for the repositioning cruise from Miami to San Juan Oct 26? Also, will Eddie be preforming as well?

Thanks in advance.

Michelle

What Excursion did you do in St. John from the Carnival Website? We don't know what to do because we haven't heard anything from past guests on the 4 day cruise to St. John. Please help.

This is my review of the excursion I did on the 4 day 7/3 sailing:

The Port:

Our one stop was St. John, New Brunswick. It is a very pretty and charming little town, the big attraction is the Bay of Fundy and the reversing falls. We had the most spectacular weather. It was absolutely perfect, clear, sunny and 75. According to Brad, who is from a town about an hour away, we chanced on one of the 3 great weather days they have a year.

We arrived about an hour late, and depending on which rumor you listen to, it was either because we hit a whale or because of tide issues (which can be a big issue in the Bay of Fundy as I'll explain in a minute).

We had chosen to do the Bay of Fundy Up Close tour, because I wanted to take a nice boat ride and really see the bay. The first part was a short walking tour to the New Brunswick Museum and an hour long tour of the museum. The museum portion was interesting if a little dull. Then we boarded a boat that took us out to the Reversing Falls. Because of the shape and location of the Bay of Fundy it has the highest tides in the world. In St. John, the tide rises or falls 26 feet every six hours. Further up into the bay, it can be as much as 55 feet. That's pretty significant. Because of this, you might leave the ship on one deck, but by the time you return, you might be re-boarding on a different deck entirely. And also because of this all that water movement causes the St. John River to reverse its course. It causes some really cool current shifts and whirlpools. In one area, our captain had the boat's engine going at 15 knots against the current and we were literally standing still. The Bay is very beautiful and we enjoyed the boat trip enormously. I recommend it. I heard some less than stellar reviews of some of the land based excursions like the brewery tour and the lobster bake.

After the tour (we took the 12:30 tour so we could enjoy a leisurely morning), we went to a pub that was recommended by a friend. Churchill's on Grannan Street. Grannan is more of an alleyway, so it's kind of tucked away. We had a couple of beers and the best meal of our trip. The food was great and the pub was not packed at all. I'm not sure there were any other cruisers in there, maybe one other couple.

Since we had arrived late, they gave us an extra two hours in port. That turned out to be fairly pointless. We were on ships time which was an hour earlier than port time. And on Saturdays everything in St. John closes at 5 (with the exception of the pubs and restaurants) local time (which is 4 pm ship time). So by the time we made it to the city market, it was closed. So was just about every other sight seeing opportunity. The Bingo Hall however was open and hopping! LOL! We strolled around and walked back to the ship. As we walked back, we marveled at how far the water level had dropped. It really was pretty amazing.

This is the link for the full review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=810604

Happy Cruising,

Laura

just got off the 7-17 4 day victory cruise, though we didnt do any excursions, but we were thinking about the jetboat ride which they offered at the port along with on the website, i think it was $39.00 a person. it looked fun, but their was a festival in town and we decided to go to that instead. It was fun.

shopping was ehhh.. we did find a really cool dollar store in the mall with some cool cheap souviners to bring back to friends... and dont forget to try the JAVA MOOSE, iced carribean rum coffee. (To die for) in the market.

tours are hit and miss, because if the fog decides to roll in i think it would be waste. as we got off the boat it was crystal clear, then as we walked out of the port yard the fog rolled in real quick and we looked like we were in the movie MIST,

good luck with whatever you decide to do. if you have any questions post them up,

The New York City Waterfalls

New York City is well known for many displays of great art. This summer the city has taken the exhibit of art to a new and exciting level, The New York City Waterfalls.

The waterfalls will be built at four sites along the shores of Brooklyn, Manhattan and Governors Island. The tallest waterfall will be approximately the same height as the Statue of Liberty!

Visitors will be able to view these 90 to 120-foot tall waterfalls seven days a week from July 5 to mid October 2008. After sunset they will be lit, adding a striking element to New York City's impressive skyline.

New York City Vacation Packages offers you two choices to view these magnificent creations from a variety of viewpoints on a New York Water Taxi Cruise.

This is all supposed to be seen by boat, if anyone has seen this on the Victory sailing out or taken the river cruise please let us know

Thanks for any information

kd

The New York City Waterfalls

New York City is well known for many displays of great art. This summer the city has taken the exhibit of art to a new and exciting level, The New York City Waterfalls.

The waterfalls will be built at four sites along the shores of Brooklyn, Manhattan and Governors Island. The tallest waterfall will be approximately the same height as the Statue of Liberty!

Visitors will be able to view these 90 to 120-foot tall waterfalls seven days a week from July 5 to mid October 2008. After sunset they will be lit, adding a striking element to New York City's impressive skyline.

New York City Vacation Packages offers you two choices to view these magnificent creations from a variety of viewpoints on a New York Water Taxi Cruise.

This is all supposed to be seen by boat, if anyone has seen this on the Victory sailing out or taken the river cruise please let us know

Thanks for any information

kd

Unfortunately, all four waterfalls are along the East River, not the Hudson, so you won't see them from Victory:(. If you have some time in New York before or after the cruise, I'm sure any of the charter boat companies have tours available.

Thanks for posting live, remember to write your thoughts first on wordpad then log on copy/paste and send then log off. Thats if you have your own laptop.

As for breakfast, you might want to try the Dining room. Less people and the food is great. No standing in lines either.

Fred

We'll see you saturday. :D

Hmmmm... Michael. Hmmmm... Sallie.

I didn't realize this was you guys! Have a great time on your Victory cruise! Sallie promised to stop into the piano bar and say "Hi!" to Peter.

Enjoy!

Laura (aka Princess Laura)

You should be able to see some of the waterfalls, but they'll probably look like little specs from the ship. They're also kind of ugly looking. They look like scafolding during the day. However, at night, the water is lit up and it looks a lot nicer. I would recommend if you are in NY before or after the cruise to walk along the Brooklyn Bridge, you can see a bunch of them from there. (The one under the bridge is my favorite and you could probably see it from South Street Seaport). Don't make this a primary spot to visit, it's just water, and you will see a lot of that from the Victory! There is so much more of NY to see!

What is the current Deck Party Theme? I want to go shopping and get stuff to stay up and party!!! What is it?

I don't remember a deck party theme...........someone else wrote that they don't have one because of the cooler weather at night (not sure if that is accurate but makes sense)

On our first Victory cruise (it was the 5 day), we did bus tours of both ports..........we got on and off the bus to take pictures and get a bit of history..........interesting........

just got off the victory and at night it was very cool, it even rained once at night, i dont remember any themed deck parties..in fact we watched the tv channel 13 on the ship and it looked like they even put the chairs away around 11 pm... no one seememd to be up there ...

Archived