Port Substitution?

tontok

Hello all,

Mom and I are very excited about our last minute booking of Grand Princess European Explorer leaving August 30. While doing some research on another thread I found that the port of Casablanca has had a history of being pulled for security reasons.

If this port is pulled, do you know if the passengers are notified in advance? Will another port be substitued? Just curious, as I would like to research possible substitue ports. I have read that Malaga, Spain is sometimes used by Princess when Casablanca is cancelled.

I sailed on the Golden Greek Isles several years ago and we missed Santorini due to bad weather. We did not stop at another port, but had a sea day instead.

Thanks,

Marina

Check out the bridge cam for the Pacific Princess on August 17. We are supposed to be at Casablanca that day 7 am - 8 pm GMT. That should give you a real time look at whether the port is on the actual itenaray.

On the European ports board there were several people who said recently Casablanca was a valid port.

It gave me great pleasure to say to my wife: "Come with me to the Kasbah !;) '

things have calmed down in morroco--we went off the princess ship in april and all was fine. I recommend the princess tour to marrakesh--very hot, but we would go back in a minute. take two or three water bottles with you--nice new highway all the way there.

If Princess (or the captain) feels you won't be safe, then rest assured, they will not risk docking in that port. You'll just have to trust their judgement. Sometimes the descisions are made that very day. We were disappointed to miss Rhodes on our Greek Isle cruise. We were all congregated in the theater, waiting for permission to go ashore (tenders). After a long wait, the captain finally announced that the sea conditions were too rough for the tender to dock, and we would have to miss the port. I heard a lot of grousing from passengers who thought they knew better than the captain, but I'm glad he put safety ahead of trying to please the crowd. Most passengers were understanding. There's just no guarantee.

We have been insanely lucky with cruises and only missed two ports - one due to a typhoon and another due to rough seas. Whenever that happens, we decide that it's the Cruising Gods way of telling us we have to do that cruise itinerary again - curse that luck!

Seriously, if a port is scraped, it's for good reason and done with considerable foresight and thought - not because the captain just doesn't feel like docking that morning. Enjoy the ports that you dock (or tender) that much more!

things have calmed down in morroco--we went off the princess ship in april and all was fine. I recommend the princess tour to marrakesh--very hot, but we would go back in a minute. take two or three water bottles with you--nice new highway all the way there.

I agree. We did this shorex also, and were very glad we did! There used to be quite a few posts on the Africa & Middle East port of call board about Morocco.

Last December we were supposed to stop in Morrocco but it was changed to Cadiz, Spain due to unsettled conditions there. Some passengers took a ferry across while the ship was docked in Gibraltar and they didn't have any problems except they almost missed the ship as they returned just before the gangway was raised. I would rather have gone to Morrocco than Cadiz, but if Princess said it was unsafe then I respect their judgement. Maybe someday I'll get there.

Archived