Similar cruise on Voyager or Silversea's Silver Wind

rl787

My wife and I have seen two similar cruises on Voyager and Silver Wind. We have cruised on Silver Shadow, which is larger than Silver Wind and loved it. I understand that both Regent and Silversea's are excellent but are slightly different. Apart from size has anyone got any comments on the difference between the two lines for similar cruises. Why you prefer Voyager etc. We will be booking a Guarantee cabin on Voyager which knowing our luck will probably be the worst one on board! On Silversea we will also book a standard Balcony Guarantee.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Not sure there is a "worst" cabin on Voyager. But if you believe that's what you are going to get, maybe you will be surprised! Hopefully yuou won't have to start out in a negative mood, becuase IMO if you do, then things will probably go down hill from there.

My wife and I have seen two similar cruises on Voyager and Silver Wind. We have cruised on Silver Shadow, which is larger than Silver Wind and loved it. I understand that both Regent and Silversea's are excellent but are slightly different. Apart from size has anyone got any comments on the difference between the two lines for similar cruises. Why you prefer Voyager etc. We will be booking a Guarantee cabin on Voyager which knowing our luck will probably be the worst one on board! On Silversea we will also book a standard Balcony Guarantee.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

We have also sailed on both lines and have enjoyed both, 3 times on Regent 1 on Silver Seas in my opinion it's a coin toss or go with whichever is the best price or package. But you can't go wrong with either.:D

:) Have you looked at CruiseCritic reviews on these two ships? Silversea and Regent seem to market to different passengers. The percent, for instance, of European's is higher on Silversea. Silversea tends to be more formal. The smoking restrictions are much stricter on Regent. There are some people who sail on both cruise lines -- but, it always sounds like there is a strong preference for one over the other.

You would probably be happy with either choice -- they may be different in many ways but are both highly rated luxury cruise lines.

I think you got the wrong idea about my post, the word worst was meant flippantly and not negatively at all! I know there are no bad suites and we will certainly enjoy ourselves very much on either line. I am really after any opinions on where I would notice slight differences in the two products.

I don't know anything about Silver Seas but I have been on the worst suite in the voyager- 671, lowest level farthest back. After 17 days they had to drag me off kicking and screaming. I knew I would never be treated like that until I got back on to another RSSC cruise.

I would book an H suite or a GTY in a minute.

You didn't mention what the itinerary was or what time of year.

I have done a number of detailed comparisons on this and the SS boards that you might be able to find. Here are some thoughts.

We've done both the bigger SS ships and Wind, and I have went on Voyager and Navigator. With all the ships, I found the service got more intimate the smaller the ship. In fact, on Wind, many would know our name without having even seen us. Staff seemed to care about each passenger individually. Also, the ship was able to go to a number of locations a bigger ship could not. Food was great, as it always is on SS, and entertainment was pretty good. We had a fabulous time, and then we saw some of the same staff on Shadow on another cruise since it was the last leg of the world cruise.

When I went on Voyager, I went as a solo last fall, and this ship suited me for that trip because it was larger, and I met more people. I had some disappointments in service because it seemed like all the luxury was there, but you had to go to it, but on SS, it comes to you more. I liked the embarkation better on SS cruises, also. Anyway, on Voyager, the food was more varied since there were more restaurants, and I loved all the venues. I am bringing my husband along and going back on Voyager this Christmas. It was Halloween 2007 when I went before, and I loved how Voyager did the theme parties. I also liked the way the cabin on Voyager had a full couch vs. the loveseat on SS ships.

I did a guarantee on Voyager, and it worked out for me. I didn't pick the bottom category because I did not want the back of the ship. I booked up just one category and got upgraded two.

I would also look at price and if one itinerary has any specific ports I want to visit. I have been alternating the lines now based on these two things and have a couple of SS trips booked and one Voyager booked. You are in for a treat with either.

I think Debbie absolutely nailed it in her camparison of Regent and Silversea. The service on both lines is superb, but it absolutely knocks you on the head on Silversea. But the larger Regent ships, particularly Mariner and Voyager, give you more dining options and a wider range of entertainment venues. You can't go wrong on either line. If you really really like an intimate feeling, try Silversea or the Regent Navigator. If a larger ship appeals, go for Mariner or Voyager. (The Paul Gauguin, operated by but not owned by Regent, is not, in my opinion, a luxury ship. The service aboard is great and the itinerary sensational.)

... but I have been on the worst suite in the voyager- 671, lowest level farthest back. After 17 days they had to drag me off kicking and screaming. I knew I would never be treated like that until I got back on to another RSSC cruise. I would book an H suite or a GTY in a minute.

I'm with Colleen. I was in suite 667 last month and we had a great time. My sis and her SO were in 671 and their only complaint was the vibration when we got into port. We had no big problems with the H suites.

We've been on both the Voyager and the Wind. The Voyager is of course larger, and also has larger standard suites. The atmosphere is quite a bit more formal on the Wind, especially on formal nights when most men wear tuxes. Food and service are about equal. To our experience you can expect much better shore excursions on the Voyager, as this does not appear to be an area where Silversea puts much emphasis. Not an expert on entertainment, but I would rank them about equal.

We would not, however, book a guarantee on the Voyager. We don't want to risk a room too far aft on her. We had booked an H guarantee and were upgraded (?) to a C. Beautiful room, but on our particular cruise the stern of the ship where our suite was located actually shook at higher cruising speeds. Doesn't always happen, but we wouldn't risk it. Areas of the Voyager that aren't far aft were very smooth.

Never had a shaking or vibration problem on the Wind (or her sister ship, the Cloud) anywhere on the ship.

:) Have you looked at CruiseCritic reviews on these two ships? Silversea and Regent seem to market to different passengers. The percent, for instance, of European's is higher on Silversea. Silversea tends to be more formal. The smoking restrictions are much stricter on Regent. There are some people who sail on both cruise lines -- but, it always sounds like there is a strong preference for one over the other.

You would probably be happy with either choice -- they may be different in many ways but are both highly rated luxury cruise lines.

I noticed that you are traveling on the Navigator 2/09...as are we...Starting on Feb 6th....s that your time frame??

Archived